[RELEASED] Python 2.7.1

Discussion in 'Python' started by Benjamin Peterson, Nov 28, 2010.

  1. On behalf of the Python development team, I'm happy as a clam to announce the
    immediate availability of Python 2.7.1.

    2.7 includes many features that were first released in Python 3.1. The faster io
    module, the new nested with statement syntax, improved float repr, set literals,
    dictionary views, and the memoryview object have been backported from 3.1. Other
    features include an ordered dictionary implementation, unittests improvements, a
    new sysconfig module, auto-numbering of fields in the str/unicode format method,
    and support for ttk Tile in Tkinter. For a more extensive list of changes in
    2.7, see http://doc.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.html or Misc/NEWS in the Python
    distribution.

    To download Python 2.7.1 visit:

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7.1/

    The 2.7.1 changelog is at:

    http://svn.python.org/projects/python/tags/r271/Misc/NEWS

    2.7 documentation can be found at:

    http://docs.python.org/2.7/

    This is a production release. Please report any bugs you find to the bug
    tracker:

    http://bugs.python.org/

    Enjoy!

    --
    Benjamin Peterson
    Release Manager
    benjamin at python.org
    (on behalf of the entire python-dev team and 2.7.1's contributors)
    Benjamin Peterson, Nov 28, 2010

  2. Benjamin Peterson

    Kent Johnson Guest

    Re: Python 2.7.1

    On Nov 27, 11:33 pm, Benjamin Peterson <> wrote:
    > On behalf of the Python development team, I'm happy as a clam to announce the
    > immediate availability of Python 2.7.1.

    Will there be Mac binaries for 2.7.1 and 3.1.3? Currently the web site
    shows only source and Windows binaries.

    Thanks,
    Kent
    Kent Johnson, Nov 29, 2010

  3. Benjamin Peterson

    Terry Reedy Guest

    Re: Python 2.7.1

    On 11/29/2010 6:51 AM, Kent Johnson wrote:
    > On Nov 27, 11:33 pm, Benjamin Peterson<> wrote:
    >> On behalf of the Python development team, I'm happy as a clam to announce the
    >> immediate availability of Python 2.7.1.

    > Will there be Mac binaries for 2.7.1 and 3.1.3? Currently the web site
    > shows only source and Windows binaries.

    I presume yes. Mac binaries typically trail each release. They are done
    by a different volunteer.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Nov 29, 2010
  4. Benjamin Peterson

    Spider Guest

    Re: Python 2.7.1

    > 2.7 includes many features that were first released in Python 3.1. The faster io module ...

    I understand that I/O in Python 3.0 was slower than 2.x (due to quite
    a lot of the code being in Python rather than C, I gather), and that
    this was fixed up in 3.1. So, io in 3.1 is faster than in 3.0.

    Is it also true that io is faster in 2.7 than 2.6? That's what the
    release notes imply, but I wonder whether that comment has been back-
    ported from the 3.1 release notes, and doesn't actually apply to 2.7.

    Of course, I probably should benchmark it, but if someone who knows
    the history of the io module can respond, that would be great. My
    specific interest is in file read/write speeds.

    Thanks
    Spider, Nov 29, 2010
  5. Re: Python 2.7.1

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:11:28 -0800 (PST)
    Spider <> wrote:
    > > 2.7 includes many features that were first released in Python 3.1. The faster io module ...

    > I understand that I/O in Python 3.0 was slower than 2.x (due to quite
    > a lot of the code being in Python rather than C, I gather), and that
    > this was fixed up in 3.1. So, io in 3.1 is faster than in 3.0.
    >
    > Is it also true that io is faster in 2.7 than 2.6? That's what the
    > release notes imply, but I wonder whether that comment has been back-
    > ported from the 3.1 release notes, and doesn't actually apply to 2.7.

    The `io` module, which was backported from 3.1/3.2, is faster than in
    2.6, but that's not what is used by default in 2.x when calling e.g.
    open() or file() (you'd have to use io.open() instead).

    So, as you suspect, the speed of I/O in 2.7 hasn't changed. The `io`
    module is available in 2.6/2.7 so that you can experiment with some 3.x
    features without switching, and in this case it's much faster than 2.6.

    Regards

    Antoine.
    Antoine Pitrou, Nov 30, 2010