RELEASED Python 3.1 alpha 1

Discussion in 'Python' started by Benjamin Peterson, Mar 7, 2009.

  1. On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
    happy to announce the first alpha release of Python 3.1.

    Python 3.1 focuses on the stabilization and optimization of features and changes
    Python 3.0 introduced. The new I/O system has been rewritten in C for speed.
    Other features include a ordered dictionary implementation and support for ttk
    Tile in Tkinter.

    Please note that these are alpha releases, and as such are not suitable for
    production environments. We continue to strive for a high degree of quality,
    but there are still some known problems and the feature sets have not been
    finalized. These alphas are being released to solicit feedback and hopefully
    discover bugs, as well as allowing you to determine how changes in 3.1 might
    impact you. If you find things broken or incorrect, please submit a bug report
    at

    http://bugs.python.org

    For more information and downloads, see the Python 3.1 website:

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.1/

    See PEP 375 for release schedule details:

    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0361/

    Enjoy,
    -- Benjamin

    Benjamin Peterson
    benjamin at python.org
    Release Manager
    (on behalf of the entire python-dev team)

    Benjamin Peterson, Mar 7, 2009

  2. Benjamin Peterson

    Carl Banks Guest

    On Mar 7, 10:53 am, Benjamin Peterson <> wrote:
    > On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
    > happy to announce the first alpha release of Python 3.1.
    >
    > Python 3.1 focuses on the stabilization and optimization of features and changes
    > Python 3.0 introduced.  The new I/O system has been rewritten in C for speed.
    > Other features include a ordered dictionary implementation and support for ttk
    > Tile in Tkinter.
    >
    > Please note that these are alpha releases, and as such are not suitable for
    > production environments.  We continue to strive for a high degree of quality,
    > but there are still some known problems and the feature sets have not been
    > finalized.  These alphas are being released to solicit feedback and hopefully
    > discover bugs, as well as allowing you to determine how changes in 3.1 might
    > impact you.  If you find things broken or incorrect, please submit a bug report
    > at
    >
    >      http://bugs.python.org
    >
    > For more information and downloads, see the Python 3.1 website:
    >
    >      http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.1/
    >
    > See PEP 375 for release schedule details:
    >
    >      http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0361/

    I see that Brett Canon's importlib has finally made it into Python
    standard library. Congrats there (if you still read this list), I am
    struggling with Python's arcane import semantics (for something
    ridiculously silly) now and I feel your pain.

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Mar 7, 2009

  3. Scott David Daniels <Scott.Daniels <at> Acm.Org> writes:

    > Benjamin Peterson wrote:
    > > On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
    > > happy to announce the first alpha release of Python 3.1.

    > Congratulations on the release.
    > I know 3.0 didn't have installers built for the alphas, will that be the
    > case for 3.1?

    Yes, probably they won't emerge until final.

    Benjamin Peterson, Mar 8, 2009
  4. Benjamin Peterson

    Guest

    Are the computed gotos used in the future pre-compiled Windows binary
    (of V.3.1) too?

    Is such optimization going to be backported to the 2.x series too,
    like Python 2.7?

    Bye and thank you for your work,
    bearophile

    , Mar 8, 2009
  5. <bearophileHUGS <at> lycos.com> writes:

    > Are the computed gotos used in the future pre-compiled Windows binary
    > (of V.3.1) too?

    I doubt it. I don't think they've even been built yet. Martin will now, though.

    > Is such optimization going to be backported to the 2.x series too,
    > like Python 2.7?

    Probably not. It provides a good incentive for people to upgrade. :)

    Benjamin Peterson, Mar 8, 2009
  6. Benjamin Peterson

    Guest

    Benjamin Peterson:
    >It provides a good incentive for people to upgrade. :)<

    Sometimes at work you are forced you to use Python 2.x, so incentives
    aren't much relevant.

    Christian Heimes:
    > No, the MS Visual C compiler doesn't supported labels as values [1]. The feature is only supported by some compilers like GCC.<

    And I guess the Intel compiler can't be used for that?

    I'm a bit sad but thank you,
    bearophile

    , Mar 8, 2009
  7. Benjamin Peterson wrote:
    > On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
    > happy to announce the first alpha release of Python 3.1.
    >
    > Python 3.1 focuses on the stabilization and optimization of features and changes
    > Python 3.0 introduced. The new I/O system has been rewritten in C for speed.
    > Other features include a ordered dictionary implementation and support for ttk
    > Tile in Tkinter.
    >
    > Please note that these are alpha releases, and as such are not suitable for
    > production environments. We continue to strive for a high degree of quality,
    > but there are still some known problems and the feature sets have not been
    > finalized. These alphas are being released to solicit feedback and hopefully
    > discover bugs, as well as allowing you to determine how changes in 3.1 might
    > impact you. If you find things broken or incorrect, please submit a bug report
    > at
    >
    > http://bugs.python.org
    >
    > For more information and downloads, see the Python 3.1 website:
    >
    > http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.1/
    >
    > See PEP 375 for release schedule details:
    >
    > http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0361/
    >

    > Enjoy,
    > -- Benjamin
    >
    > Benjamin Peterson
    > benjamin at python.org
    > Release Manager
    > (on behalf of the entire python-dev team)

    Do you have any schedule for a Windows
    binary release?

    Colin W.

    Colin J. Williams, Mar 8, 2009
  8. Colin J. Williams <cjw <at> ncf.ca> writes:
    > Do you have any schedule for a Windows
    > binary release?

    They should materialize on Monday.

    Benjamin Peterson, Mar 8, 2009
  9. Benjamin Peterson

    Guest

    On Mar 7, 6:59 pm, Carl Banks <> wrote:

    > I see that Brett Canon's importlib has finally made it into Python
    > standard library.  Congrats there (if you still read this list), I am
    > struggling with Python's arcane import semantics (for something
    > ridiculously silly) now and I feel your pain.

    Hi Carl,

    Could you please give a couple quick examples of these current "arcane
    import semantics" (or at least point me in the right direction)? I
    don't know what you mean, and would like to understand what Brett's
    importlib fixes. Thank you.

    , Mar 8, 2009