[RELEASED] Python 3.1 alpha 2

Discussion in 'Python' started by Benjamin Peterson, Apr 5, 2009.

  1. On behalf of the Python development team, I'm thrilled to announce the second
    alpha release of Python 3.1.

    Python 3.1 focuses on the stabilization and optimization of features and changes
    Python 3.0 introduced. For example, the new I/O system has been rewritten in C
    for speed. Other features include an ordered dictionary implementation and
    support for ttk Tile in Tkinter. For a more extensive list of changes in 3.1,
    see http://doc.python.org/dev/py3k/whatsnew/3.1.html or Misc/NEWS in the Python
    distribution.

    Please note that this is an alpha releases, and as such is not suitable for
    production environments. We continue to strive for a high degree of quality,
    but there are still some known problems and the feature sets have not been
    finalized. This alpha is being released to solicit feedback and hopefully
    discover bugs, as well as allowing you to determine how changes in 3.1 might
    impact you. If you find things broken or incorrect, please submit a bug report
    at

    http://bugs.python.org

    For more information and downloadable distributions, see the Python 3.1 website:

    http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.1/

    See PEP 375 for release schedule details:

    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0375/

    Regards,
    -- Benjamin

    Benjamin Peterson
    benjamin at python.org
    Release Manager
    (on behalf of the entire python-dev team and 3.1's contributors)

    Benjamin Peterson, Apr 5, 2009