    Is it possible to release out only precompiled classes of the JSP
    pages and not the actual JSP and source code within it? (JSP contains
    java source code which I would not like to be visible.)

    Steve, Nov 4, 2004

  2. Steve wrote:

    > Is it possible to release out only precompiled classes of the JSP
    > pages and not the actual JSP and source code within it? (JSP contains
    > java source code which I would not like to be visible.)

    Yes it is. There are standalone JSP compilers available, for instance
    jspc which comes with Tomcat. On the other hand, _good_ JSP code
    doesn't contain much, if any, Java source code. You might save yourself
    some trouble by moving your scriptlet code into beans and/or custom
    tags. If you use JSP 2 then that can be facilitated by replacing some
    other scriptlet code with JSP expression language expressions.

    Also, you should keep in mind that compiling your JSPs to bytecode is
    only the most rudimentary form of obfuscation. Most people who write
    plain Java classes wouldn't consider it to be obfuscation at all. It is
    pretty straightforward to decompile a Java class file. In your case the
    curious third party decompiling your class would end up with source for
    a servlet representation of it, not the JSP source, but that doesn't get
    much in the way of seeing at least the gist of your Java.

    John Bollinger

    John C. Bollinger, Nov 4, 2004