Releasing to the development server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Schoo, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. Schoo

    Schoo Guest

    I have been working on an ASP.NET (with VB.NET code behind) on my
    development workstation. Things have been going well and I have been
    posting changes to the project to a development server (running W2000
    Server) for the 'customers' to view as I accomplish goals. I have been
    using the feature in VS.NET that allows you to upload the project from
    inside VS.NET and although I have had success in the past with it sometimes,
    this project throws an error whenever I try to use the tool:

    "Unable to create Web project 'intranet'. The UNC share '\\...' does not
    exist or you do not have access."

    To work around this (and try to get my project done) I have been copying all
    the files from the project directory on my development workstation to the
    project directory on the development server. This was working fine until
    today.

    Today, I added the .NET MS Web Controls DLL to the project so I could use
    the treeview control. As I always do, I copied all the files to the
    development server and tried to run the app, but while the opening project
    screen displayed, the treeview control was obviously not being recognized.
    Like I mentioned, the app works fine in development so that should indicate
    I have the dll in the bin directory, I have referenced the dll in the
    project and set up the control properly on the aspx page.

    I am having lots of other problems getting my project from the development
    workstation to the server, but this is an unusual problem that I have not
    yet run accross. Does the dll need to be initialized or registered somehow
    on the server? What else might cause this problem and how can I correct it?

    Scott
    Schoo, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Schoo

    Natty Gur Guest

    Hi,

    Tree control comes with images, did you copy them to thE right location
    also. there are cases that XML files that load as treeview source faild
    to load (usually while tring to load them from directories without
    rights or not using sERVER.MapPath).

    HTH

    Natty Gur[MVP]

    blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
    Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

    Natty Gur, May 2, 2004

  3. Hi Scott,

    As for the redistributed the IE WebControls to another machine, I think we
    have to make sure the following things:
    1. The "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll" should be located in your
    WebApplication's Virutal Direcotry's sub "bin" folder

    2. Check your develop machine's Site root folder, there will have a certain
    folder named "webctrl_client" it will contains the Image, script file or
    other resources required by the IE WebControls. So you need to copy the
    "webctrl_client" folder to the certain site's root folder (On the deploy
    server).

    So your deploy server's site and app folder structure should like:

    site root\
    webctrl_client\
    1_0\
    images\
    treeimages\
    some .htc files

    webapproot\
    bin\

    Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll

    In addition, here are some former threads discussing the similiar issue,
    you may also reference to them:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=zh-CN&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=eg3QN
    zLRDHA.3768%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Dzh-CN%26lr%3D%
    26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3D%27ASP.NET%2BTreeview%2Bexample%2Banyone%27%
    2B

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=zh-CN&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=uOUd9
    hu0BHA.2724%40tkmsftngp03&rnum=9&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Dzh-CN%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUT
    F-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3D%27ASP.NET%2BTreeview%2Bexample%2Banyone%27%2B

    Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 3, 2004
  4. Schoo

    Schoo Guest

    Steven,

    Thank you for your reply. After reading your email and reading the 2 links
    you sent, I tried a number of things, but nothing seems to be working. It
    appears that my dilema is very close to that of the user in the second link
    you provided. Here is what I have right now on my development server:

    I noticed that the development server did not contain the webctrl_client
    directory and my
    development workstation did, so I copied it to the server and confirmed that
    the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll file was in the application's bin
    directory. I now have the webctrl_client directory in both the wwwroot
    directory for the site and also in the application directory itself

    I copied the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll file to the
    <drive>\winnt\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 directory. No change

    I then ran IEWebControls.exe on the development server and ran Program
    Files\IE Web Controls\build.bat, but this did not seem to make a difference.
    Even running the site by viewing it on the development workstation (where it
    runs in development) by pointing it to the development server, does not show
    the treeview control correctly.

    The forum links you provided seem to outline the same problem I am having
    (the items in the treeview are shown as text without line brakes).
    Unfortunately their solutions don't seem to be working for me here.

    Please suggest something as I am out of ideas. Even if you have me run
    through a list of items to do to get this to work, I am willing to try it.

    Scott

    Schoo, May 3, 2004
  5. Hi Scott,

    It does seem a bit strange. Don't worry, let's look for some other
    approaches.

    <drive>\winnt\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 directory mentioned in the
    certain thread
    is for asp.net 1.0, so if you're using asp.net 1.1 I don't thing it'll
    make sense.

    Well, I think you can still have a try on the following things:
    1. What's your server's IIS version? IIS6 or 5?
    I'm not sure whether it's necessary, but I think you can have a check of
    the default site(on the deployment server) 's home directory, is it specify
    to another location rather than the default "inetpub/wwwroot" which cause
    the problem?

    2. Since its a server machine, I suggest that you create another test site
    and copy the webctrl_client dir under that site's root folder and create a
    new web application under that new site. This time, I think you can create
    a simple web application(not use the one with problem), just with some page
    which has used the treeview web control. There are some sample pages in the
    IE WebControl's install folder, I think that'll be helpful to test.

    3. Also, you can try uninstall and reinstall ASP.NET on the server via
    execute
    aspnet_regiis -u
    aspnet_regiis -i
    command in the vs.net commmandline prompt, or directory go to the
    <drive>\winnt\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 //for 1.0

    or<drive>\winnt\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 //for 1.1

    to run the aspnet_regiis tool.

    Hope these will help. Good luck!.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 4, 2004
  6. Schoo

    Schoo Guest

    Steven,

    I started going through your suggestions when it occured to me that there
    are other things going on that I have not included because the items are not
    directly related to our issue. So, on a whim, I decided to try loading the
    web site to another server (W2000) that is available and it worked fine!
    So, I am assuming at this point that there is something wrong with the
    server itself. As my app works on another server I will continue working on
    that server and start some new threads on issues with the treeview control
    itself. I am also going to add a thread to describe my server issues.
    Please look for these new threads.

    Thank you for your help!

    Scott

    Schoo, May 4, 2004