Releasing to the development server

Schoo

I have been working on an ASP.NET (with VB.NET code behind) on my
development workstation. Things have been going well and I have been
posting changes to the project to a development server (running W2000
Server) for the 'customers' to view as I accomplish goals. I have been
using the feature in VS.NET that allows you to upload the project from
inside VS.NET and although I have had success in the past with it sometimes,
this project throws an error whenever I try to use the tool:

"Unable to create Web project 'intranet'. The UNC share '\\...' does not
exist or you do not have access."

To work around this (and try to get my project done) I have been copying all
the files from the project directory on my development workstation to the
project directory on the development server. This was working fine until
today.

Today, I added the .NET MS Web Controls DLL to the project so I could use
the treeview control. As I always do, I copied all the files to the
development server and tried to run the app, but while the opening project
screen displayed, the treeview control was obviously not being recognized.
Like I mentioned, the app works fine in development so that should indicate
I have the dll in the bin directory, I have referenced the dll in the
project and set up the control properly on the aspx page.

I am having lots of other problems getting my project from the development
workstation to the server, but this is an unusual problem that I have not
yet run accross. Does the dll need to be initialized or registered somehow
on the server? What else might cause this problem and how can I correct it?

Scott

Natty Gur

Hi,

Tree control comes with images, did you copy them to thE right location
also. there are cases that XML files that load as treeview source faild
to load (usually while tring to load them from directories without
rights or not using sERVER.MapPath).

HTH

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Scott,

As for the redistributed the IE WebControls to another machine, I think we
have to make sure the following things:
1. The "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll" should be located in your
WebApplication's Virutal Direcotry's sub "bin" folder

2. Check your develop machine's Site root folder, there will have a certain
folder named "webctrl_client" it will contains the Image, script file or
other resources required by the IE WebControls. So you need to copy the
"webctrl_client" folder to the certain site's root folder (On the deploy
server).

So your deploy server's site and app folder structure should like:

site root\
webctrl_client\
1_0\
images\
treeimages\
some .htc files

webapproot\
bin\

Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll

In addition, here are some former threads discussing the similiar issue,
you may also reference to them:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=zh-CN&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=eg3QN
zLRDHA.3768%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Dzh-CN%26lr%3D%
26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3D%27ASP.NET%2BTreeview%2Bexample%2Banyone%27%
2B

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=zh-CN&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=uOUd9
hu0BHA.2724%40tkmsftngp03&rnum=9&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Dzh-CN%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUT
F-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3D%27ASP.NET%2BTreeview%2Bexample%2Banyone%27%2B

Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Schoo

Steven,

Thank you for your reply. After reading your email and reading the 2 links
you sent, I tried a number of things, but nothing seems to be working. It
appears that my dilema is very close to that of the user in the second link
you provided. Here is what I have right now on my development server:

I noticed that the development server did not contain the webctrl_client
directory and my
development workstation did, so I copied it to the server and confirmed that
the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll file was in the application's bin
directory. I now have the webctrl_client directory in both the wwwroot
directory for the site and also in the application directory itself

I copied the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll file to the
<drive>\winnt\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 directory. No change

I then ran IEWebControls.exe on the development server and ran Program
Files\IE Web Controls\build.bat, but this did not seem to make a difference.
Even running the site by viewing it on the development workstation (where it
runs in development) by pointing it to the development server, does not show
the treeview control correctly.

The forum links you provided seem to outline the same problem I am having
(the items in the treeview are shown as text without line brakes).
Unfortunately their solutions don't seem to be working for me here.

Please suggest something as I am out of ideas. Even if you have me run
through a list of items to do to get this to work, I am willing to try it.

Scott

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Scott,

It does seem a bit strange. Don't worry, let's look for some other
approaches.

<drive>\winnt\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 directory mentioned in the
certain thread
is for asp.net 1.0, so if you're using asp.net 1.1 I don't thing it'll
make sense.

Well, I think you can still have a try on the following things:
1. What's your server's IIS version? IIS6 or 5?
I'm not sure whether it's necessary, but I think you can have a check of
the default site(on the deployment server) 's home directory, is it specify
to another location rather than the default "inetpub/wwwroot" which cause
the problem?

2. Since its a server machine, I suggest that you create another test site
and copy the webctrl_client dir under that site's root folder and create a
new web application under that new site. This time, I think you can create
a simple web application(not use the one with problem), just with some page
which has used the treeview web control. There are some sample pages in the
IE WebControl's install folder, I think that'll be helpful to test.

3. Also, you can try uninstall and reinstall ASP.NET on the server via
execute
aspnet_regiis -u
aspnet_regiis -i
command in the vs.net commmandline prompt, or directory go to the
<drive>\winnt\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 //for 1.0

or<drive>\winnt\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 //for 1.1

to run the aspnet_regiis tool.

Hope these will help. Good luck!.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Schoo

Steven,

I started going through your suggestions when it occured to me that there
are other things going on that I have not included because the items are not
directly related to our issue. So, on a whim, I decided to try loading the
web site to another server (W2000) that is available and it worked fine!
So, I am assuming at this point that there is something wrong with the
server itself. As my app works on another server I will continue working on
that server and start some new threads on issues with the treeview control
itself. I am also going to add a thread to describe my server issues.
Please look for these new threads.

Thank you for your help!

Scott