    package of Mark Hammond ? plz guide me before i starting using it ../

    thanX in +vance !

    somesh

    Somesh Bartakkay, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Somesh Bartakkay

    Dave Brueck Guest

    Somesh wrote:
    > I downloaded and tried a small dialog-dll's application with
    > venster+ctypes+python 2.3
    > its working very well, but is it reliable to use in big projects ? or
    > part of big projects ?

    You'll have to make that determination yourself, but IMO they are both very
    stable. We started using them both in production applications sooner than the
    authors probably would have advised, but didn't encounter problems (we've
    certainly never had any crashes due to either library, for example).

    > wot are advantages/disadvantages of this combination over win32all
    > package of Mark Hammond ? plz guide me before i starting using it ../

    win32all is a bigger install, so we chose not to use it with a couple of
    applications in which download size was critical. Another drawback is that the
    only APIs available are ones that the win32all author has chosen to include,
    whereas ctypes lets you call pretty much anything, including 3rd party DLLs. A
    drawback of ctypes is that it is more low-level in some cases, so sometimes you
    have to do more things "by hand". For example, win32com has some very slick COM
    support, especially if you're a COM client using IDispatch interfaces. You can
    do all the same stuff in ctypes, but its COM offering isn't as mature yet.

    Although Venster is young, you can still use it to do whatever Win32 GUIs you
    need. It's probably the only pure Python GUI framework out there (which in
    itself it pretty nifty), and if you're targeting the Windows platform and
    already have experience doing Win32 GUI programming then you should definitely
    consider it. It's not nearly as high-level as, say, wxPython (so proceed with
    caution if you don't have Win32 GUI API experience), but advantages include
    blazingly fast application load times compared to other frameworks and very,
    very tiny footprint (we added a GUI to our application and increased the
    download size by <30KB! :) )

    We don't use win32all anymore, but there's certainly no reason why you have to
    choose one or the other - if it makes sense then you can use both.

    -Dave

    Dave Brueck, Apr 1, 2004

  3. On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Dave Brueck wrote:

    > Somesh wrote:
    > > I downloaded and tried a small dialog-dll's application with
    > > venster+ctypes+python 2.3
    > > its working very well, but is it reliable to use in big projects ? or
    > > part of big projects ?

    > You'll have to make that determination yourself, but IMO they are both very
    > stable. We started using them both in production applications sooner than the
    > authors probably would have advised, but didn't encounter problems (we've
    > certainly never had any crashes due to either library, for example).

    Amen.

    --
    Andrew I MacIntyre "These thoughts are mine alone..."
    E-mail: (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370

    Andrew MacIntyre, Apr 2, 2004