    Anyway I figured that if there at least is a reliable multicasting in
    ruby, you could create something JGroups-like on top of that.

    /Christoffer

    Christoffer Lernö, Oct 11, 2007

  2. Christoffer Lernö

    Gary Wright Guest

    On Oct 11, 2007, at 3:57 PM, Christoffer Lern=F6 wrote:

    > Does anyone know if anyone of the reliable multicasting protocols =20
    > exist implemented in ruby?
    >
    > Actually what I am really looking for is something like JGroups =20
    > implemented in a language-independent way. I mean jgroups pretty =20
    > much seems to need java, and I want to integrate something between, =20=

    > java, ruby and perhaps PHP.
    >
    > Anyway I figured that if there at least is a reliable multicasting =20
    > in ruby, you could create something JGroups-like on top of that.

    There is a Ruby interface to the Spread toolkit:

    Spread: <http://www.spread.org/SpreadPlatforms.html>
    rb_spread: <http://rbspread.sourceforge.net/>

    Gary Wright

    Gary Wright, Oct 11, 2007

  3. Christoffer Lernö

    ara.t.howard Guest

    On Oct 11, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Christoffer Lern=F6 wrote:

    > Does anyone know if anyone of the reliable multicasting protocols =20
    > exist implemented in ruby?

    check out spread, there are ruby bindings for it.

    http://www.spread.org/SpreadPlatforms.html

    a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
    --
    it is not enough to be compassionate. you must act.
    h.h. the 14th dalai lama

    ara.t.howard, Oct 11, 2007
  4. >> Does anyone know if anyone of the reliable multicasting protocols
    >> exist implemented in ruby?
    >>
    >> Actually what I am really looking for is something like JGroups
    >> implemented in a language-independent way. I mean jgroups pretty
    >> much seems to need java, and I want to integrate something
    >> between, java, ruby and perhaps PHP.
    >>
    >> Anyway I figured that if there at least is a reliable multicasting
    >> in ruby, you could create something JGroups-like on top of that.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    > There is a Ruby interface to the Spread toolkit:
    >
    > Spread: <http://www.spread.org/SpreadPlatforms.html>
    > rb_spread: <http://rbspread.sourceforge.net/>

    Ah, I should have mentioned I did check out spread, but its not a
    canidate due to its need for a separate daemon process.

    /Christoffer

    Christoffer Lernö, Oct 12, 2007
  5. Christoffer Lernö

    ara.t.howard Guest

    [OT] Re: Reliable multicasting

    On Oct 11, 2007, at 11:02 PM, Christoffer Lern=F6 wrote:

    > Ah, I should have mentioned I did check out spread, but its not a =20
    > canidate due to its need for a separate daemon process.

    maybe it can be done - but it seems any reliable multicasting =20
    platform is going to have this requirement - after all someone needs =20
    to be listening on a port(s) to get messages right?

    what's the alternative to not having a daemon?

    btw - email is a good alternative for some applications - it's pretty =20=

    dang reliable ;-)

    a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

    ara.t.howard, Oct 12, 2007
  6. Re: [OT] Re: Reliable multicasting

    On 12 Oct 2007, at 07:25, ara.t.howard wrote:

    > On Oct 11, 2007, at 11:02 PM, Christoffer Lern=F6 wrote:
    >
    >> Ah, I should have mentioned I did check out spread, but its not a =20
    >> canidate due to its need for a separate daemon process.

    > maybe it can be done - but it seems any reliable multicasting =20
    > platform is going to have this requirement - after all someone =20
    > needs to be listening on a port(s) to get messages right?
    > what's the alternative to not having a daemon?

    Well, apparently in JGroups there is no daemon, everything seems to =20
    be handled in each "client" to ensure FIFO, lossless transmission etc.

    /C

    Christoffer Lernö, Oct 12, 2007