reliable signals [slightly OT]

Ara.T.Howard

any users of other ruby platforms besides linux and solaris have a feeling on
how reliable the signal handling it in ruby? what i mean by reliable is if
people know whether a ruby application that might be handling hundreds of
signals per second misses any or not. in know that some operating system
signals are said not to be reliable - but i don't know if this is true or not.

cheers.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| Like a lamp standing in a strong breeze. --Nagarjuna

Robert Klemme

Ara.T.Howard said:
any users of other ruby platforms besides linux and solaris have a
feeling on how reliable the signal handling it in ruby? what i mean
by reliable is if people know whether a ruby application that might
be handling hundreds of signals per second misses any or not. in
know that some operating system signals are said not to be reliable -
but i don't know if this is true or not.

Not directly an answer, but I believed (until now probably) that these
signals are meant for rare events (you usually don't have hundrets of child
processes terminating at the same second or people pressing CTRL-C 100 times
per second). IOW, they were not designed to be ultimately performant. IMHO
there are other means that do the job in a better way (pipes, semaphores
etc.).

Just my 0.01 EUR...

Kind regards

robert