    especially if it's on-topic.

    Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
    Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

    Julian Leviston, Feb 25, 2009

  2. Julian Leviston

    Kyle Schmitt Guest

    On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Julian Leviston <> wrote:
    > Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a good
    > way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about religion on
    > this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.
    >
    > Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think about
    > our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and especially if it's
    > on-topic.
    >
    > Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
    > Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

    But if we ignore religious discussions how will be able to debate ruby
    vs python, K&R vs ANSI?
    OO vs functional?

    ;)

    Kyle Schmitt, Feb 26, 2009

  3. On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:12:26AM +0900, Kyle Schmitt wrote:
    > On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Julian Leviston <> wrote:
    > > Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a good
    > > way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about religion on
    > > this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.
    > >
    > > Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think about
    > > our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and especially if it's
    > > on-topic.
    > >
    > > Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
    > > Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

    > But if we ignore religious discussions how will be able to debate ruby
    > vs python, K&R vs ANSI?
    > OO vs functional?

    maybe he had in mind that it is not appropriate for this mailing list and
    for such high philosophic problems another mailing list should be created

    :)

    Vladimir Fekete, Feb 26, 2009
  4. Julian Leviston

    pat eyler Guest

    On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Kyle Schmitt <> wrote:
    > On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Julian Leviston <> wrote:
    >> Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a good
    >> way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about religion on
    >> this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.
    >>
    >> Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think about
    >> our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and especially if it's
    >> on-topic.
    >>
    >> Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
    >> Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

    > But if we ignore religious discussions how will be able to debate ruby
    > vs python, K&R vs ANSI?
    > OO vs functional?

    emacs vs vi(m)?

    --
    thanks,
    -pate

    pat eyler, Feb 26, 2009
  5. Julian Leviston

    pat eyler Guest

    On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Chad Perrin <> wrote:
    > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:22:39AM +0900, pat eyler wrote:
    >>
    >> emacs vs vi(m)?

    > Only the emacs side is religious:
    >
    > =A0http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/religion/
    >
    > The vi side is a gang:
    >
    > =A0http://www.homebrew.net/visign/
    >
    > /me throws the vi gang sign.

    and I know that someday you'll repent.

    ;^)

    > --
    > Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
    > Quoth McCloctnick the Lucid: "The first rule of magic is simple. Don't
    > waste your time waving your hands and hopping when a rock or a club will
    > do."

    --=20
    thanks,
    -pate
    -------------------------

    pat eyler, Feb 26, 2009
  6. Julian Leviston

    dustin b Guest

    On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Chad Perrin <> wrote:

    > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 05:37:54AM +0900, pat eyler wrote:
    > > On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Chad Perrin <>

    > wrote:

    > > > Only the emacs side is religious:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/religion/
    > > >
    > > > The vi side is a gang:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.homebrew.net/visign/
    > > >
    > > > /me throws the vi gang sign.

    > > and I know that someday you'll repent.

    > I'm editor-agnostic. Well, technically, I guess I'm more of an
    > editor-taoist. Editaoist? Anyway, the upshot is that I can see how your
    > religious interpretation is a valid perspective on reality, even if it is
    > kind of limited.
    >
    > After all, emacs is a halfway decent OS. Some people claim it lacks a
    > decent editor, but I disagree -- Viper is an excellent editor.
    >
    > What it *does* lack is a decent bootloader.
    >
    > --
    > Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
    > Quoth Anonymous: "Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator
    > of human intelligence."

    I always thought Pico was a great editor.
    Also "Git sucks" ...please don't hurt me!! (
    http://www.netsplit.com/2009/02/17/git-sucks/)

    dustin b, Feb 26, 2009
  7. pat eyler wrote:
    > On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Chad Perrin <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:22:39AM +0900, pat eyler wrote:
    >>> emacs vs vi(m)?

    >> Only the emacs side is religious:
    >>
    >> http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/religion/
    >>
    >> The vi side is a gang:
    >>
    >> http://www.homebrew.net/visign/
    >>
    >> /me throws the vi gang sign.

    > and I know that someday you'll repent.

    Those of us who have reached nirvana[1] look upon your conflict with
    tolerance and hope. ;)

    [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEdit

    Joel VanderWerf, Feb 26, 2009