Reload and counter question

Paul Bowlay

Hi all,

I've got a tiny website at http://www.paulbowlay.com which redirects to the
actual site at http://wave.prohosting.com/pbowlay . Now, I've put in a small
script that's supposed to reload the page as http://www.paulbowlay.com if the
title isn't that, but IE v5.00 says "Done, but with errors on page." Can
someone please take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Also, I have a counter at the bottom of the page, but due to the way that the
PaulBowlay.com domain redirects, I can't get any referrer HTMLs (because all
hits to http://wave.prohosting.com/pbowlay (the actual site) come from
http://www.paulbowlay.com -- any ideas on a way around this?

Regards, Paul.

viza

and then Paul Bowlay said:
I've got a tiny website at http://www.paulbowlay.com which redirects to
the actual site at http://wave.prohosting.com/pbowlay . Now, I've put in
a small script that's supposed to reload the page as
http://www.paulbowlay.com if the title isn't that, but IE v5.00 says
"Done, but with errors on page." Can someone please take a look and tell
me what I'm doing wrong?

What you are doing wrong is trying to have the address bar contain other
than the address of the page that the user is viewing. This is considered
to be a very bad idea. You are doing it with frames, which are evil:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html

Some of the probles this will cause are:

* People can't bookmark your page (other than the front page).

* Other websites can't link to your page (other than the front page).

Search engines will rate you lower for it.

There are more, as well.

Basically, if you can't afford hosting at your domain, then you should make
the domain a redirect page, not a one frame frameset.

The error IE has is not caused by your frame setting script, but by the
counter script, which is badly writen - In general:

use

if(!foo)
bar=baz;

rather than:

foo?"":bar=baz;

wher you have to monkey around with far too many parentheses.
Also, I have a counter at the bottom of the page, but due to the way that
the PaulBowlay.com domain redirects, I can't get any referrer HTMLs
(because all hits to http://wave.prohosting.com/pbowlay (the actual site)
come from http://www.paulbowlay.com -- any ideas on a way around this?

Put the counter in that page.

Paul Bowlay

viza said:
What you are doing wrong is trying to have the address bar contain other
than the address of the page that the user is viewing. This is considered
to be a very bad idea. You are doing it with frames, which are evil

It's not me doing it, but www.mydomain.com doing it. My actual web page is
simply a single page with no frames at all. But for www.mydomain.com to
show the site as www.paulbowlay.com instead of http://wave.prohosting.com/pbowlay
it has to hide ProHosting with a frame (according to their site).

This is also why my counter is not recording referrers correctly. All the
referrer hits are showing as www.paulbowlay.com instead of the real URLs.
I don't think I can do anything about it as I want www.paulbowlay.com to
be seen and bookmarked instead of the ProHosting URL.
* People can't bookmark your page (other than the front page).
* Other websites can't link to your page (other than the front page).

Both of these are fine -- www.paulbowlay.com is the only page of my site.
Search engines will rate you lower for it.

This concerns me a bit, I must admit.
Basically, if you can't afford hosting at your domain, then you should make
the domain a redirect page, not a one frame frameset.

But then I get ProHosting shown as the URL, and bookmarked by visitors.
Is there perhaps any way to avoid that without using frames?
The error IE has is not caused by your frame setting script, but by the
counter script

Really? But this error message in IE is only new, and only occurred when
I added the 'top.location.href' script at the top of the page. If I remove
that script, and leave the counter script untouched, the error goes away.

According to the counter's site, if I modify their script then the counter
won't work properly. Is that just a bluff, do you think? Would it still
work if I expanded the lines as you suggested?
Put the counter in that page.

No can do -- www.mydomain.com creates the redirection frame, not me. :(

Thanks for your reply, and any other advice you may have.

Paul.

Paul Bowlay

viza said:
Other websites can't link to your page (other than the front page).
Search engines will rate you lower for it.

Thanks for this advice, Viza -- I've decided to let my redirection service
simply show the real URL (ProHosting account) instead, for the above reasons,
and it should let my counter work properly now too. :)

PS. I did reply with another post but cancelled it -- so if you see it, don't
worry about replying. Sorry about that! :)

Regards, Paul.