Reload Page Command

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Alan Z. Scharf, May 3, 2004.

  1. 1. I have a chain of six asynch callbacks initiated by a button, and want
    the page to refresh at the end of each callback to display

    A. Results of a SQLServer query showing cumulative running time, and
    B. A progress bar.

    2. I have this working with a refresh timer:

    <META http-equiv="refresh" content="5">

    3. However, the blinking of page reloads is annoying, and I'd prefer to have
    the page reload at exactly the end of each callback EndInvoke.

    What is the command to force page reload in C#?

    4. One of my HandleCompletions is below, with the place indicated where I
    want to reload the page.

    Thanks for any help.

    Alan

    private void HandleUpdateCapitalCompletion(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

    {

    try

    {

    // Retrieve Update delegate object

    UpdateCapitalDelegate updateCapital = (UpdateCapitalDelegate)
    asyncResult.AsyncState;

    //Call EndInvoke to get result of UpdateCapital

    string updateCapitalResult = updateCapital.EndInvoke(asyncResult);

    //*** RELOAD THE PAGE HERE ****

    // Start next delegate in chain

    StartUpdateAverageCapitalDelegate();

    }

    catch (Exception ex)

    {

    // Exception will be thrown by EndInvoke if Update() threw an exception

    Console.Error.WriteLine(ex.ToString());

    Alan Z. Scharf, May 3, 2004

  2. Certainly the command you look for :

    Server.Transfer(Request.ServerVariables["SCRIPT_NAME"]);

    Saperlipopette, May 3, 2004

  3. Hi Alan,

    From your description, you have a long-time operation at the asp.net page's
    serverside code so used a asynthronous call to do the operation and
    currently you use the <META http-equiv="refresh" content="5">
    tag to refresh the waiting page so that it'll post back to check the async
    call's state, but you found it'll make the page
    blink so you're wondering how to make the page posted back when he async
    call finshed via serverside code, yes?

    As for this problem, here are my suggestions:
    The <META http-equiv="refresh" content="5">
    is used to refresh the page(let it post pack to the serverside), we can
    also do this via javascript, such as form.submit();
    All this is done at client, because when a page is sent back to client,
    there is no relation with serverside, this is also the feature of the
    HTTP(stateless ) based application. So we can't make a page at client to
    post back via calling a method at serverside.

    However, as for the page blinking you mentioned, based on my experience,
    most one often use a hidden frame or iframe page to workaround this. We can
    make a waiting page, which contain a embeded frame or iframe and the frame
    contains the acutal refreshing page, and set the frame's width and height =
    1 so as to make it hidden. Then, the hidden page is constantly refreshed,
    the main waiting page won't be blinking. How do you think of this?

    If you have anything unclear, please feel free to post here. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 4, 2004
  4. Steven,

    Thanks for your reply.

    1. Regarding the use of a hidden frame, would I still be able to display
    progress somewhere without blinking?

    Right now, every time my main page refreshes, it queries a table in
    SQLServer which is being updated with cumulative running time at the end of
    each stored procedure in the chain of asynch calls. This table of
    cumulative time and other indicators is then displayed in a datagrid on
    repost.

    2. If not, then can you offer more detail on javascript for resubmitting.

    So far, I fould reference to a java command: document.forms[0].submit, but
    am not sure how to integrate it into my .aspx page.

    Regards,

    Alan

    > Hi Alan,
    >
    > From your description, you have a long-time operation at the asp.net

    page's

    =

    Alan Z. Scharf, May 4, 2004
  5. Saperlipopette,

    I'm still trying to het this to work with my async callbacks.

    Regards,

    Alan

    Alan Z. Scharf, May 4, 2004
  6. Steven,

    Thanks very much for your reply and the examples. I will try to work
    through them tomorrow.

    Regards,

    Alan

    > Hi Alan,
    >
    > Thanks for the followup. Well, I recommend you use the "hidden iframe"
    > means.
    > As for your situation, you can make the refresh page(which refresh once 5
    > secs to serverside and query tables and update values in the page(you can
    > store them in some <input type="hidden" > fields.
    >
    > then, embed this refresh page in the waiting page(display progress bar or
    > something else) via
    > <iframe id="frmRefresh" width="1" height="1" src="refresh.aspx" >....
    > And you can use the javascript to retrieve the hidden fields(in the iframe
    > page)'s value and use it to update your display page.
    >
    > To make it clearly, I've made two sample pages via C# code I've attached

    it

    Alan Z. Scharf, May 6, 2004
  7. Hi Steve,

    >>As for your situation, you can make the refresh page(which refresh once 5

    secs to serverside and query tables and update values in the page(you can
    store them in some <input type="hidden" > fields.<<

    Right now I'm refreshing an entire datagrid with status values, not
    individual fields.

    Will I be able to use the refreshing datagrid on the Refresh page instead of
    <input type="hidden" > fields?

    I'm still experimenting with what you sent, but wanted to ask this question
    in the meantime.

    Thanks again..

    Alan

    Alan Z. Scharf, May 6, 2004
  8. Steven,

    Thanks again for your reply and example.

    I will go through it tomorrow.

    >>only at the time

    > the long-run operation has been finished, we display the final result to
    > the users, do you think so?

    I would still like to be refreshing periodically all the way through, rather
    than just at the end, since it is a batch process that could take up to
    sever minutes, depending on the size of the date ranged covered by the
    process.

    This web app is duplicating an Access front end to SQLServer that users are
    used to. I've been able to duplicate everything, else including
    mulltiple-row edits of a datagrid, but this refresh part has been difficult
    due to not being connected directly to the database.

    When I make a little more progress, I will send you the url of the page
    being refreshed.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Regards,

    Alan

    > Hi Alan,
    >
    > Thanks for the followup. You mentioned that you'll need to query some
    > certain tables and retrieve out the datas and stored in a datagrid in the
    > refreshing page? I'm not sure whether you want to just display the changed
    > data in a datagrid and show to the users. If so, I think its also ok to

    put
    > the datas in the datagrid on the refreshing page(in the iframe) and use
    > javascript to get the datagrid's clientside html and display in the
    > container page(waiting page) which is actually displayed to the users.

    I've
    > attached my modified demo pages in this message regarding on this means.
    >
    > Also, I also think since you use refreshing page and waiting page is just
    > to wait for a long-run operation to finish. So it's better that we put

    less

    Alan Z. Scharf, May 7, 2004
  9. Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 8, 2004
  10. Steven,

    I was able to get things working by swapping in my components into your
    files. They were invaluable!

    I have a couple questions remaining, but just now trashed my files somehow -
    getting Fatal Engine Execution Error when try to open files in VS.NET.

    After I rebuild them I will followup.

    Thanks again.

    Regards,

    Alan

    Alan Z. Scharf, May 10, 2004
  11. Steven,

    1. Just a note to thank you for your help and sample files on the
    Refresh/iFrame method of handling async calls.

    Everything is working fine.

    1. I have one question remaining:

    Is there a way to programmatically turn the http-equiv = "refresh" on and
    off?

    Or some equivalent JScript method?

    Thanks.

    Alan
    Alan Z. Scharf, May 12, 2004
  12. Hi Alan,

    Thanks for the followup. To answer your question:

    1. I have no idea how to control the http-equiv = "refresh" meta of the
    page

    2. Of course ,we can use javascript code to post a page after a certain
    period of time. The
    window.setTimeout function is just for such function. For example:
    We define the following function "setTimer()" and in it we add the
    window.setTimeout("document.forms[0].submit()",1000);
    which indicate that the page will be submit 1 second later after we call
    this function.

    <script language="javascript">

    function setTimer()
    {
    window.setTimeout("document.forms[0].submit()",1000);
    }

    </script>

    Then, we can call this function at the page's clientside's onload event,
    just like:

    And if we want to control whether to call it or not at serverside. We can
    use
    Page.RegisterStartupScript method to programmatically add this script call,
    just as below:

    Page.RegisterStartupScript("setTimer","<script
    language='javascript'>setTimer();</script>");
    }

    Hope this helps. Thanks.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 13, 2004
  13. Steven,

    Thanks again for the detailed example.

    I will try it out and let you know how it goes.

    Regards,

    Alan

    Alan Z. Scharf, May 13, 2004
  14. Hi Steven,

    I realized what I'd like to do is the following:

    1. Right now, my Progress page has six async calls and completion handlers.
    The Refresh page is continually refreshing every 5 seconds and is contained
    in the Progress page as an iFrame..

    2. Instead of the continual refreshes of the Refresh page, I would like to
    call a refresh (Submit) of the Refresh page as part of each completion
    handler on the main Progress page.

    That way, the Refresh page would only refresh at completion of each of the
    six async routines.

    3. Is this possible, i.e. either

    (a) calling a "submit" of the iFrame on the Progress page, or

    (b) passing a submit command through to the Refresh page from the Progress
    page completion handlers?

    Thanks again for your help and examples.

    Regards,

    Alan

    Alan Z. Scharf, May 14, 2004
  15. Hi Alan,

    Thanks for the response. As for the #1 and #2 in your further description,
    I don't think they're possible. You means you want to refresh the iframe
    page only when the async call finish? Then, I wonder how you make the async
    call ,at clientside or at serverside? If at serverside, since the web based
    application is request/response mode, we can't get the async call 's call
    back and the only way is to constantly refresh the page(post back to
    server) to query the serverside state info, do you think so?

    As for the
    ===========================
    (a) calling a "submit" of the iFrame on the Progress page, or

    (b) passing a submit command through to the Refresh page from the Progress
    page completion handlers?
    ===========================
    you mentioned, do you mean using javascript to post back the iframe page ?
    If so, this is ok, we can referece the iframe element in the Progress page
    via
    var frm = document.getElementById(iframeId);

    Then call
    frm.document.forms[0].submit(); to submit the iframe page(refresh page).

    In fact, this is the general javascript skills. Here are some web resources
    on manipulating iframe in javascript

    http://developer.netscape.com/support/faqs/champions/javascript.html#4
    http://www.quirksmode.org/js/iframe.html
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/iframe.html

    ###################

    In addition, I'm not sure whether you've ever trying calling webservice via
    DHTML javascript in web page? This is also a means to call serverside
    webservice in clientside script so as to prevent page be postedback to
    server. Here is the reference in MSDN:

    #Accessing Web Services From DHTML
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dndude/html/dude01222001.asp?frame=t
    rue

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/webservic
    e/overview.asp

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 15, 2004
  16. Hi Steven,

    Thanks again very much for your examples and the references. Your help has
    been invaluable!

    Regards,

    Alan

    Alan Z. Scharf, May 19, 2004
  17. Hello,

    Would it be possible for you to send me these examplea as I can’t see them attached in posts?
    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgUA==?=, May 24, 2004
  18. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgUA==?=, May 24, 2004
  19. Try using outlookexpress as your newsgroup reader.

    It should pick up the attachments.

    That may be your problem.

    The server address is msnews.microsoft.com

    Alan

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroup...pnet&mid=ccc3034a-687a-4050-92bd-57287813491d

    > Shows only text no examples, could you please send me these as I seem to

    be trying to do exactly what you have done here

    Alan Z. Scharf, May 24, 2004