remembering post data

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Troy Piggins, May 20, 2005.

  1. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    Sorry if this is a dumb/freq asked question.

    On our intranet we have html (well, more correctly php) forms to send
    faxes. If you progress to the next screen to print, but realise you
    made an error, or want to go back for some other reason, the data is no
    longer there on the form. It is cleared.

    I am not sure if this is a html thing, or could be an apache thing.

    Is there a way for the form to 'remember' the data when you go back in
    history?

    I can provide further information if you need, but am not sure what is
    relevant - since I don't know if it is a web server thing or a html
    thing. Obviously if it's the former, I'll look elsewhere unless someone
    can point me in the right direction quickly.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e :

    Troy Piggins, May 20, 2005

  2. Troy Piggins wrote:

    > Sorry if this is a dumb/freq asked question.
    >
    > On our intranet we have html (well, more correctly php) forms to send
    > faxes. If you progress to the next screen to print, but realise you
    > made an error, or want to go back for some other reason, the data is no
    > longer there on the form. It is cleared.

    The policy regarding remembering or not remembering values should probably
    depend on:

    1) The browser

    2) The security level

    3) The protocol, e.g. https, feeds, etc.

    Since no values are contained in the source, the server should not directly
    be involved, i.e. it should not send values back to the user (unless you
    program it to do so).

    > I am not sure if this is a html thing, or could be an apache thing.
    >
    > Is there a way for the form to 'remember' the data when you go back in
    > history?

    Try a range of different browsers and see how they behave.

    > I can provide further information if you need, but am not sure what is
    > relevant - since I don't know if it is a web server thing or a html
    > thing. Obviously if it's the former, I'll look elsewhere unless someone
    > can point me in the right direction quickly.

    Having said all of that, I believe there might be an option (in the page
    source) for 'remember', just as there is onefor 'hidden'. Let's see what
    the others say...

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, May 20, 2005

  3. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    [now crossposted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.apache.configuration]
    * Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry if this is a dumb/freq asked question.
    >>
    >> On our intranet we have html (well, more correctly php) forms to send
    >> faxes. If you progress to the next screen to print, but realise you
    >> made an error, or want to go back for some other reason, the data is
    >> no longer there on the form. It is cleared.

    > The policy regarding remembering or not remembering values should
    > probably depend on:
    >
    > 1) The browser

    Indeed this seems to be a large part of it. We use Firefox on all
    workstations, and despite ticking the checkbox in
    options->privacy->saved form information to save form info entered into
    web pages, it does not work.

    However MS IE *does* remember the same data entered into the same pages.

    > 2) The security level

    Not sure what you mean by this, unless you are referring to the security
    settings in MS IE - but we aren't having problems with that, only
    Firefox.

    > 3) The protocol, e.g. https, feeds, etc.

    It is just http.

    > Since no values are contained in the source, the server should not
    > directly be involved, i.e. it should not send values back to the user
    > (unless you program it to do so).
    >
    >> I am not sure if this is a html thing, or could be an apache thing.
    >>
    >> Is there a way for the form to 'remember' the data when you go back
    >> in history?

    > Try a range of different browsers and see how they behave.

    Done as mentioned above. MS IE works fine, Firefox (preferred by me)
    does not :-(

    >> I can provide further information if you need, but am not sure what
    >> is relevant - since I don't know if it is a web server thing or a
    >> html thing. Obviously if it's the former, I'll look elsewhere unless
    >> someone can point me in the right direction quickly.

    > Having said all of that, I believe there might be an option (in the
    > page source) for 'remember', just as there is onefor 'hidden'. Let's
    > see what the others say...

    I don't know what you mean by 'page source' - do you mean the actual
    ..php code? Or the httpd server config files?

    Thanks.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e :

    Troy Piggins, May 23, 2005
  4. Troy Piggins wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Troy Piggins wrote:
    >>
    >> The policy regarding remembering or not remembering values should
    >> probably depend on:
    >>
    >> 1) The browser

    > Indeed this seems to be a large part of it. We use Firefox on all
    > workstations, and despite ticking the checkbox in
    > options->privacy->saved form information to save form info entered into
    > web pages, it does not work.
    >
    > However MS IE *does* remember the same data entered into the same pages.

    If you have entire forms with open textboxes, this might be considered a
    _bad_ behaviour. The Windows terminals that we have set up for students to
    log in connection problems illustrate this issue. One can just press back
    (In Explorer sadly) and see all the correspondence of the previous person
    to use the terminal.

    >> 2) The security level

    > Not sure what you mean by this, unless you are referring to the security
    > settings in MS IE - but we aren't having problems with that, only
    > Firefox.

    Yes, I was referring to that. Maybe Explorer is configured to be poor on
    privacy. Try raising the bar and see what happens.

    >> 3) The protocol, e.g. https, feeds, etc.

    > It is just http.

    No problem there then.

    >> Since no values are contained in the source, the server should not
    >> directly be involved, i.e. it should not send values back to the user
    >> (unless you program it to do so).
    >>
    >>> I am not sure if this is a html thing, or could be an apache thing.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way for the form to 'remember' the data when you go back
    >>> in history?

    >> Try a range of different browsers and see how they behave.

    > Done as mentioned above. MS IE works fine, Firefox (preferred by me)
    > does not :-(

    "MS IE works fine"
    ^^^^^^^^^^

    Saving form values can also be interpreted as "does not work". Security
    verus ease of use.

    >>> I can provide further information if you need, but am not sure what
    >>> is relevant - since I don't know if it is a web server thing or a
    >>> html thing. Obviously if it's the former, I'll look elsewhere unless
    >>> someone can point me in the right direction quickly.

    >> Having said all of that, I believe there might be an option (in the
    >> page source) for 'remember', just as there is onefor 'hidden'. Let's
    >> see what the others say...

    > I don't know what you mean by 'page source' - do you mean the actual
    > .php code? Or the httpd server config files?

    You can program something that will fetch the values at each step (assuming
    a multi-page form-filling process). It can then send back the values to the
    form. In other words, forms will be saved progressively rather than once --
    upon completion.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, May 23, 2005
  5. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The policy regarding remembering or not remembering values should
    >>> probably depend on:
    >>>
    >>> 1) The browser

    >> Indeed this seems to be a large part of it. We use Firefox on all
    >> workstations, and despite ticking the checkbox in
    >> options->privacy->saved form information to save form info entered
    >> into web pages, it does not work.
    >>
    >> However MS IE *does* remember the same data entered into the same
    >> pages.

    > If you have entire forms with open textboxes, this might be considered
    > a _bad_ behaviour. The Windows terminals that we have set up for
    > students to log in connection problems illustrate this issue. One can
    > just press back (In Explorer sadly) and see all the correspondence of
    > the previous person to use the terminal.

    The forms I speak of are for generating faxes. It is only a small
    company, and security is not a risk in terms of someone going back in
    history and seeing a fax someone else sent. Unfortunately the large
    open text box is the best way I could think of doing it.

    <snip>

    >> Done as mentioned above. MS IE works fine, Firefox (preferred by me)
    >> does not :-(
    >>
    >> "MS IE works fine"

    > ^^^^^^^^^^

    :) I hear ya! I meant it did what I wanted for a change.

    > Saving form values can also be interpreted as "does not work".
    > Security verus ease of use.

    Yeah, in this case I want the latter, not the former.

    <snip>

    >> I don't know what you mean by 'page source' - do you mean the actual
    >> .php code? Or the httpd server config files?

    > You can program something that will fetch the values at each step
    > (assuming a multi-page form-filling process). It can then send back
    > the values to the form. In other words, forms will be saved
    > progressively rather than once -- upon completion.

    Might try that. When I have some more time on weekends.

    Thanks for all your help Roy.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e :

    Troy Piggins, May 23, 2005
  6. Troy Piggins wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> Done as mentioned above. MS IE works fine, Firefox (preferred by me)
    >>> does not :-(
    >>>
    >>> "MS IE works fine"

    >> ^^^^^^^^^^

    > :) I hear ya! I meant it did what I wanted for a change.
    >
    >> Saving form values can also be interpreted as "does not work".
    >> Security versus ease of use.

    > Yeah, in this case I want the latter, not the former.

    A funny analogy:

    Mr. Jones drives to his local supermarket, parks his car and leaves the
    door open because, let's face it, opening the door is a chore. He steps
    into the supermarket, puts the necessary groceries in a clean and shiny
    container that the supermarket lends. When finished, he walks by the main
    door and drops a tenner into an open bucket of money.

    Mr. Jones and his supermarket use Internet Explorer by the way. Time to get
    that security pack...

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> I don't know what you mean by 'page source' - do you mean the actual
    >>> .php code? Or the httpd server config files?

    >> You can program something that will fetch the values at each step
    >> (assuming a multi-page form-filling process). It can then send back
    >> the values to the form. In other words, forms will be saved
    >> progressively rather than once -- upon completion.

    > Might try that. When I have some more time on weekends.
    >
    > Thanks for all your help Roy.

    I have just tested an old JavaScript form that I have on my site
    (http://www.schestowitz.com/Feedback/) and saw the behaviour you describe
    in Firefox and in Konqueror. Oddly enough, only First name(s) gets saved. I
    have looked at the source code to find an explanation, but could gather
    none. Can you? This might be the key to solving your problem.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, May 23, 2005
  7. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    <snip>
    > I have just tested an old JavaScript form that I have on my site
    > (http://www.schestowitz.com/Feedback/) and saw the behaviour you
    > describe in Firefox and in Konqueror. Oddly enough, only First name(s)
    > gets saved. I have looked at the source code to find an explanation,
    > but could gather none. Can you? This might be the key to solving your
    > problem.

    Hmm. This seems a bit different in that it also only remembers the
    first name in IE also. So same behaviour in Firefox and IE.

    I will go through the source code, but I doubt I will find anything you
    can't. Like my original post - I am no html guru.

    --
    T R O Y P I G G I N S
    e :

    Troy Piggins, May 23, 2005