Remembering the state of a Page

Guest

I have an ASP.NET application with many different pages. On one particular
page, I would like it to be restored to its previous state if a user
navigates away (within the application) and then returns to that page - as if
they had used the "Back" button in IE to get back to the page.

I tried saving the viewState of the page in a session variable, but that
failed when I tried to restore it on subsequent Page_Load events.

Is there another way to accomplish this?

Guest

You could use their Login (assuming it's a login based site) and store it in
a cookie. Then retrieve their data from a DB on the page load, based on that
id.

KMA

Bill,

I can't offer a solution to exactly your problem, but when I have to persist
a page contents I write them to an xml file whose name consists of the
session id. I too would be interested to learn of a method to save and load
the viewstate direc.