remote ASP.NET development with Studio 2003

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cmtoYXJ0?=, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. Does anyone know if you can do remote development in Studio.NET 2003?

    Two machines at home: one is my development server running Server 2003 and SQL 2000, the other is XP Pro with Studio.NET 2003. I want to host my ASP.NET application on my dev server and connect to it with Studio.NET from my other machine. Is this possible???
    =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cmtoYXJ0?=, Jan 30, 2004

  2. Sounds like you are asking if remote debugging is possible?

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsdebug/htm
    l/vxtskDebuggingASPWebApplication.asp

    Andy Mortimer [MS]
    Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
    newsgroup purposes only

    OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of
    included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
    http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"
    Andy Mortimer [MS], Jan 30, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cmtoYXJ0?=

    Wardeaux Guest

    bburkhart,
    yep, do this all the time... :) it's nice!
    wardeaux

    Wardeaux, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Good for you...mind sharing how you have each machine set up and how you got it working?
    =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cmtoYXJ0?=, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Not remote debugging, but getting the both machines set up properly so I can connect to an existing web project on my remote server.

    On the server I have: 2003 Server, SQL Svr200, and my existing ASP.NET application
    On the client I have: Studio.NET 2003

    I tried opening my existing project and typed in "http://servername:8080" where the project is and can currently be browsed. I get some generic connection error. Do I need Studio installed on the server as well? Do I need FP Extensions installed on that website? Do I have to set up special permissions on the server??

    Once I get the project loaded in Studio, I'm sure I'll have to set up remote debugging. Right?
    =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cmtoYXJ0?=, Jan 30, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cmtoYXJ0?=

    Wardeaux Guest

    bburkhart,
    make sure you have Frontpage extensions installed on your server. When i
    create a new project I select "Web Application", give it a path of my server
    like "http://MyServer/MyNewProject" and click OK. It pops up a box that
    complains it couldn't create thr folder "wwwroot$\MyNewProject". There are
    two radio buttons, one to retry and the other to try frontpage extensions.
    I select the second, click OK and I'm off to the races.
    Now I'm running Win2K Advanced Server and my dev machine is XP pro with
    Visual Studio 2003... I have set up Win2K3 and noticed that it takes quite a
    bit more to install all its stuff...
    hope this helps
    wardeaux

    Wardeaux, Jan 30, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cmtoYXJ0?=

    Justnew Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?YmJ1cmtoYXJ0?= wrote:
    > *Does anyone know if you can do remote development in Studio.NET
    > 2003?
    >
    > Two machines at home: one is my development server running Server
    > 2003 and SQL 2000, the other is XP Pro with Studio.NET 2003. I want
    > to host my ASP.NET application on my dev server and connect to it
    > with Studio.NET from my other machine. Is this possib
    > le??? *

    It is possible all you need to do is to configure IIS on the remote
    machine and any time you start a new project you need to specify the
    location of the Machine hosting the IIS server by browsing through the
    network or just enter the URl:

    Justnew
    Justnew, Jan 30, 2004