Remote Debugging: "The object esporter specified was not found" error

thatrickguy

Hi everyone.
I am developing on a Windows XP sp2 machine with VS.Net 2002 installed.
Windows firewall is disabled.

I have a Windows 2k Server sp4 with IIS 5 and VS.Net 2002 installed.
(testsrv01)

The two machines are on the same subnet and domain, and there is no
firewall or proxy between them.

If I create a new ASP.Net project in VS.Net on the XP machine with the
location of "http://testsrv01\WebApplication", add no code, set
WebForm1 as the start page, and hit F5/Start I almost immediately
receive a dialog saying "Error while trying to run project: Unable to
start debugging on the web server. The object exporter specified was
not found." If I hit Start w/o debugging, the blank page comes up fine.

I made sure my UserAccount was a member of the Administrator, Debugger,
and VS Developer groups on both machines. I made sure that the Debugger
group had launch permissions for MDM in DCOMCNFG. I grabbed
DCOMTest.exe from microsoft (as per Q259011) to make sure my XP box was
communicating over DCOM to the 2k Server, and everything looked good
there.

I logged onto the server, started up VS.Net and created a new
WebApplication. I opened the code behind page for WebForm1 and put in a
response.write("test") and put a break point on it. I hit F5/Start and
the web app started and broke on the break point as expected.

Any thoughts?

-Rick