Remote debugging: Unable to map the debug start page URL to a machine name

Tom wilson

I've been through everything with this error and cannot get the
debugger to work remotely. The only thing I can trace it down to is
that RPC is not communicating between servers.

So after many, many hours of searching I found the RPCPing utilitty.
We have 8 servers, 2 Exchange 2003 servers. RPCPing pings nothing
from anywhere on all protocols. I've tried on all severs in all
directions and from several different workstations. I refuse to
believe that this utility does what it says it does because we have a
fully functioning Exchange 2003 orgranization.

I can attach manually to my app but not automatically. I've checked
everything suggested:

"Are you running a version of Windows that allows the Visual Studio
debugger to automatically attach to a Web application?"

Who knows, the help doesn't indicate how I'm supposed to know.

"Does your Web application have a Web.config file?"

Yes, debug is set to true

"Does the Web.config file contain any syntax errors?"

No, it's fine

"You need to be a member of the Administrators group if..."

I am logged in as the domain administrator with full privs.

"Did you create the project by specifying a specific IP address"

No, http://www.server.com/MyaApp, the recommended method

"Does the machine running IIS server have Visual Studio .NET Remote
Components installed? "

Who knows? The article doesn't indicate how to tell. (thanks)

"Were the proper setup programs run to install ASP.NET or ATL Server
and remote debugger components on the server? "

Again, how am I supposed to know? I installed the full VS.Net 2003
package on the server and workstation.

"Are you using Terminal Server to try to debug a Web application on a
remote machine?"

no.

"When you install Visual Studio .NET on Windows Server 2003, ASP.NET
is not enabled by default. To develop Web projects, you must run the
Security Lockdown Wizard after completing Visual Studio .NET Setup."

Downloaded it and it refuses to install on a W2003 server.

"To configure IIS after running setup on Windows Server 2003
From the Start menu, choose All Programs.
Choose Administrative Tools and then choose Internet Information
Services.
Right-click your machine name in the left pane and choose Security. "

*smashes head on desk repeatedly* There is no such option in IIS
manager and the lockdown wizard will not install. (I hate MS
documents)

(there are two web servers, one W2000, one W2003. RD fails on them
both)

Update: I did get the command line rpcpings.exe to rpc ping the server
I'm developing on (W2000). The UI version of RPCPing is useless. So
I don't think it's an RPC problem yet RD doesn't work still. "Outlook
/rpcdiag" indicates all rpc comunication is fine.

Anybody have any ideas? There isn't one thing on MSDN or the KBase
that applies or makes any sense. I've tried every suggestion I can
find through a websearch including a document that links to 16
different KBase articles, all n/a. Any postings I've made on the web
go unanswered.

Any help much appreciated!
Tom

Scott O'S

Don't know if this'll be much help, but to check if ASP.NET has been allowed
on your 2003 web server, open IIS manager expand 'Server', click on 'Web
Service Extensions'. That is the area where you can enable .ASP, .ASP.NET.

I also had the very frustrating problem of trying to find the non-existent
'Security' option of a server. *rubs head wound empathically*

Offal Eater.