    to interact with the remote filesystem just as I would locally (and
    just as it is done under UNIX).

    Any suggestion to a module that already does this or something similar?
    jayb, May 6, 2005

  2. jayb

    Joe Smith Guest

    jayb wrote:
    > I'd like to be able to access files on a remote system in an
    > "invisible" manner from a Windows system. What I'm after is to be able
    > to interact with the remote filesystem just as I would locally (and
    > just as it is done under UNIX).

    Insufficient information. What are you trying to do?
    *) Windows client accessing a share on a Windows file server?
    *) Windows NFS client accessing an NFS server?
    *) Windows client accessing an Andrews File System?

    The above three scenarios call out for a non-Perl solution.
    Joe Smith, May 7, 2005

  3. jayb

    jayb Guest

    Joe Smith wrote:

    > Insufficient information. What are you trying to do?

    Thanks Joe. You are completely correct. It was insufficient. What I
    was trying to do was access a file on another Windows machine within
    it's workgroup. It appears the answer is that Perl will allow me to
    use Universal Naming Convention (UNC) pathnames under Microsoft
    Windows. UNC pathnames are formatted like \\machinename\sharename.
    (Found this out at
    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=29311&rl=1.)

    I was amazed that such a simple mechanism would (or could) exist under
    Windows. I really get the feeling that MS prefers crytic to simple!
    Nice to see Windows adopting some of the nicer bits of UNIX...
    jayb, May 9, 2005