remote gem install doesn't work anymore

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Forex Forex, Nov 4, 2008.

  1. Forex Forex

    Forex Forex Guest

    hello,
    i'm under ubuntu hardy with gem v1.1.0 installed
    when i want to install a new gem (ie hpricot), here is the result:

    "sudo gem install hpricot
    Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org/
    ERROR: could not find hpricot locally or in a repository"

    it is the same with every other gem
    and it work locally with no problem

    i have to say that i've installed different versions of the same gems to
    work on old projects.
    I also want to state that i cannot use wxruby because of what i suppose
    is a $PATH problem (i'm new to linux and ubuntu, so i don't know how to
    check my $PATH)

    thanxs for your help

    Forex Forex, Nov 4, 2008

  2. Forex Forex

    Alex Fenton Guest

    Forex Forex wrote:
    > hello,
    > i'm under ubuntu hardy with gem v1.1.0 installed
    > when i want to install a new gem (ie hpricot), here is the result:
    >
    > "sudo gem install hpricot
    > Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org/
    > ERROR: could not find hpricot locally or in a repository"
    >
    > it is the same with every other gem
    > and it work locally with no problem

    I was getting this the other day on Windows when no gem seemed to want
    to install, including gem update. But I'm not there now and can't retest
    or check versions.

    > I also want to state that i cannot use wxruby because of what i suppose
    > is a $PATH problem (i'm new to linux and ubuntu, so i don't know how to
    > check my $PATH)

    Hard to say what's going wrong without an error message.

    The latest version of wxRuby (1.9.9) on Linux requires that you install
    the wxWidgets shared libraries. This should be trivial using your
    package manager (synaptic) - find the wxWidgets 2.8.7 package
    (non-debug) from Hardy and install it.

    If it's not resolved, please post a more detailed description of the
    problem to the wxruby-users mailing list.

    http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/36

    Alex Fenton, Nov 6, 2008

  3. Forex Forex

    Forex Forex Guest

    thx for your help

    about wxruby, the problem is solved. it seems that you cannot give wx.rb
    to your file.
    in fact i was just trying the tutorial and had given wx.rb to my file.
    after changing filename, everything goes right...

    about remote gem install, problem's still alive

    Forex Forex, Nov 7, 2008
  4. Forex Forex

    Forex Forex Guest

    > about remote gem install, problem's still alive

    i finally managed to find a solution.
    hereafter for those interested:

    install manually rubygems-update
    then type: sudo update_rubygems

    after, everything works well like before

    this was due to a bug in a specific version of rubygems

    Forex Forex, Nov 7, 2008