remote gem install doesn't work anymore

Forex Forex

hello,
i'm under ubuntu hardy with gem v1.1.0 installed
when i want to install a new gem (ie hpricot), here is the result:

"sudo gem install hpricot
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org/
ERROR: could not find hpricot locally or in a repository"

it is the same with every other gem
and it work locally with no problem

i have to say that i've installed different versions of the same gems to
work on old projects.
I also want to state that i cannot use wxruby because of what i suppose
is a $PATH problem (i'm new to linux and ubuntu, so i don't know how to
check my $PATH)

thanxs for your help

Alex Fenton

Forex said:
hello,
i'm under ubuntu hardy with gem v1.1.0 installed
when i want to install a new gem (ie hpricot), here is the result:

"sudo gem install hpricot
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org/
ERROR: could not find hpricot locally or in a repository"

it is the same with every other gem
and it work locally with no problem

I was getting this the other day on Windows when no gem seemed to want
to install, including gem update. But I'm not there now and can't retest
or check versions.

I also want to state that i cannot use wxruby because of what i suppose
is a $PATH problem (i'm new to linux and ubuntu, so i don't know how to
check my $PATH)

Hard to say what's going wrong without an error message.

The latest version of wxRuby (1.9.9) on Linux requires that you install
the wxWidgets shared libraries. This should be trivial using your
package manager (synaptic) - find the wxWidgets 2.8.7 package
(non-debug) from Hardy and install it.

If it's not resolved, please post a more detailed description of the
problem to the wxruby-users mailing list.

http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/36

Forex Forex

thx for your help

about wxruby, the problem is solved. it seems that you cannot give wx.rb
to your file.
in fact i was just trying the tutorial and had given wx.rb to my file.
after changing filename, everything goes right...

about remote gem install, problem's still alive

Forex Forex

about remote gem install, problem's still alive

i finally managed to find a solution.
hereafter for those interested:

install manually rubygems-update
then type: sudo update_rubygems

after, everything works well like before

this was due to a bug in a specific version of rubygems