remote installation of packages

chinzi

i want to install the telnet package from my local machine to the
remote machine ..
how do i go about it???

Anno Siegel

chinzi said:
i want to install the telnet package from my local machine to the

Presumably with "the telnet package" you mean the module Net::Telnet.
remote machine ..
how do i go about it???

You log in to the remote machine and install it as usual. There is no
support for shoving a module from one machine to another, and it wouldn't
make much sense.

Anno

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Anno Siegel

Gunnar Hjalmarsson said:
To those who use Perl (via CGI) on web accounts without shell access it
would make a lot of sense.

I'd go out of my way to avoid that situation.
For that reason, in the docs for one of the modules I wrote I include a
"Manual Installation" section:
http://search.cpan.org/~gunnar/CGI-ContactForm-1.30/lib/CGI/ContactForm.pm#Manual_Installation

The approach works only for pure Perl modules.

That's only the most obvious case. There's checking of pre-requisites.
There's dependency on compile-time options to Perl (threaded/non-threaded,
for instance). There may be dependency on the Perl version.

The normal installation procedure involves the generation and running of
a Makefile on the machine the installation is taking place on. Copying
the result to another machine is not guaranteed to work in general. An
individual module may allow this (as in your case), but there is no
procedure that can be applied to an arbitrary module.

Anno