    i want to install the telnet package from my local machine to the
    remote machine ..
    how do i go about it???

    chinzi, Apr 11, 2006

  2. chinzi

    Anno Siegel Guest

    chinzi <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > i want to install the telnet package from my local machine to the

    Presumably with "the telnet package" you mean the module Net::Telnet.

    > remote machine ..
    > how do i go about it???

    You log in to the remote machine and install it as usual. There is no
    support for shoving a module from one machine to another, and it wouldn't
    make much sense.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Anno Siegel wrote:
    > There is no support for shoving a module from one machine to another,
    > and it wouldn't make much sense.

    To those who use Perl (via CGI) on web accounts without shell access it
    would make a lot of sense.

    For that reason, in the docs for one of the modules I wrote I include a
    "Manual Installation" section:
    http://search.cpan.org/~gunnar/CGI-ContactForm-1.30/lib/CGI/ContactForm.pm#Manual_Installation

    The approach works only for pure Perl modules.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Apr 11, 2006
  4. chinzi

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Anno Siegel wrote:
    > > There is no support for shoving a module from one machine to another,
    > > and it wouldn't make much sense.

    > To those who use Perl (via CGI) on web accounts without shell access it
    > would make a lot of sense.

    I'd go out of my way to avoid that situation.

    > For that reason, in the docs for one of the modules I wrote I include a
    > "Manual Installation" section:
    > http://search.cpan.org/~gunnar/CGI-ContactForm-1.30/lib/CGI/ContactForm.pm#Manual_Installation
    >
    > The approach works only for pure Perl modules.

    That's only the most obvious case. There's checking of pre-requisites.
    There's dependency on compile-time options to Perl (threaded/non-threaded,
    for instance). There may be dependency on the Perl version.

    The normal installation procedure involves the generation and running of
    a Makefile on the machine the installation is taking place on. Copying
    the result to another machine is not guaranteed to work in general. An
    individual module may allow this (as in your case), but there is no
    procedure that can be applied to an arbitrary module.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, Apr 11, 2006