remote require (was [Painfully OT] A python question...)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Luis Parravicini, Apr 10, 2007.

  1. On 4/6/07, Luciano Ramalho <> wrote:
    > Hello, I happen to enjoy Python and Ruby.
    >
    > Importing modules from zip files was proposed in PEP-273 [1]

    Reading about importing from a zip file in Python made me think
    whether I could do the same in ruby. A quick google search showed up
    it can be done with rubyzip [1].

    Then I thought: what about remote requires? (I don't think right now
    it could be really useful but it sounds interesting to play with). I
    found several threads ([2], [3]) talking about a net-require module
    coded by Tanaka Akira.

    Couldn't find any place to download the module (there are some urls to
    RAA but the project is not there anymore) and haven't received any
    response from the author. I know it's not difficult to do some proof
    of concept, there's even some code to do it in one of the threads
    mentioned before, just wanted to see how it was done in net-require.

    Anyone has used it or knows where to get it?

    [1] http://rubyzip.sourceforge.net/files/lib/zip/ziprequire_rb.html
    [2] http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/150997
    [3] http://groups.google.com/group/comp...aea892fae5c0d0?lnk=st&rnum=8#7faea892fae5c0d0

    --
    Luis Parravicini
    http://ktulu.com.ar/blog/

    Luis Parravicini, Apr 10, 2007

  2. On 4/10/07, Luis Parravicini <> wrote:
    > On 4/6/07, Luciano Ramalho <> wrote:
    > > Hello, I happen to enjoy Python and Ruby.
    > >
    > > Importing modules from zip files was proposed in PEP-273 [1]

    > Reading about importing from a zip file in Python made me think
    > whether I could do the same in ruby. A quick google search showed up
    > it can be done with rubyzip [1].
    >
    > Then I thought: what about remote requires? (I don't think right now
    > it could be really useful but it sounds interesting to play with). I
    > found several threads ([2], [3]) talking about a net-require module
    > coded by Tanaka Akira.

    You might want to check out Francis Hwang's uri-require.
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/urirequire/

    Gregory Brown, Apr 10, 2007