Remote Scripting and Sun JVM

SW

I have a Web application that uses Remote Scripting to provide dynamic
data to a web page. I am testing the application in Internet Explorer
6 SP1 running on Windows XP Professional.

When I use the Microsoft JVM, the application works without any
problems. However, as a result of future withdrawal of support of the
Microsoft JVM as a result of the settlement with Sun, I need to ensure
that the application works okay with the Sun Java plug-in for Internet
Explorer. Unfortunately, when the page loads with the Sun plug-in
enabled (confirmed by having a look at the Advanced section of the
Internet Options), an Install On Demand dialog appears stating that
the Java virtual machine component is required, which I imagine is the
Microsoft JVM.

Obviously, this component is no longer available, and clicking on the
OK button only reiterates this message. When I click on the Cancel
button instead, the Remote Scripting functionality fails to work.

Is it possible for Remote Scripting to be configured to work with an
alternative JVM, such as the Sun Java Plug-In, or is it entirely
dependent on the Microsoft version?

Many thanks in advance.

Atrax

which I imagine is the Microsoft JVM.

question 1 : can you confirm that? I suspect it IS dependent on a
proprietery class or external control of some sort, but I can't say for
sure right now.
question 2 : are you considering abandoning remote scripting? my
personal view is that perhaps you should, though others may disagree.

Atrax. MVP, IIS
http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/

newsflash : Atrax.Richedit 1.0 now released.
http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/infinitemonkeys/components/Atrax.RichEdit/

Bob Barrows

Atrax said:
question 1 : can you confirm that? I suspect it IS dependent on a
proprietery class or external control of some sort, but I can't say
for sure right now.
question 2 : are you considering abandoning remote scripting? my
personal view is that perhaps you should, though others may disagree.
I don't. Remote scripting is dead.

Bob

Scott

Bob Wrote:

"I don't. Remote scripting is dead."

I'm curious why? My Boss thinks it's the best thing since
slice bread. I'm new to ASP, so I haven't formed an
opinion yet.

Bob Barrows

Scott said:
Bob Wrote:

"I don't. Remote scripting is dead."

I'm curious why? My Boss thinks it's the best thing since
slice bread. I'm new to ASP, so I haven't formed an
opinion yet.

It's obsolete technology. New security changes to IE and Windows are going
to make it much more difficult to use.

When I did try to use it a few years ago, I was not very successful due to
the need to make sure the needed software was properly installed on the
users' machines, and that the software on the server was working correctly.
It was a huge headache and I haven't attempted to use it since.

I have started using the XMLHTTPRequest object instead. I have rolled out
several applications using it and have yet to encounter a user whose machine
could not run my code (we are in an intranet so we can enforce that people
are using IE5 and above). I've created a demo that is available at
http://www.thrasherwebdesign.com/index.asp?pi=links&hp=links.asp that
illustrates its use. Look for the dynamic listbox demo.

There are a couple more alternatives illustrated here:
http://www.davidpenton.com/testsite/tips/

HTH,
Bob Barrows

SW

Unfortunately the zip file containing your example ASP pages available
from the ThrasherWeb site is not available, or at least the link is
incorrect.

Is there another link to this zip file?

Bob Barrows

SW said:
Unfortunately the zip file containing your example ASP pages available
from the ThrasherWeb site is not available, or at least the link is
incorrect.

Is there another link to this zip file?
I've informed the webmaster that all the links on the page are broken. In
the meantime I've emailed a copy of the zipfile to you offline.

Bob Barrows