Remote Scripting and Sun JVM

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by SW, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. SW

    SW Guest

    I have a Web application that uses Remote Scripting to provide dynamic
    data to a web page. I am testing the application in Internet Explorer
    6 SP1 running on Windows XP Professional.

    When I use the Microsoft JVM, the application works without any
    problems. However, as a result of future withdrawal of support of the
    Microsoft JVM as a result of the settlement with Sun, I need to ensure
    that the application works okay with the Sun Java plug-in for Internet
    Explorer. Unfortunately, when the page loads with the Sun plug-in
    enabled (confirmed by having a look at the Advanced section of the
    Internet Options), an Install On Demand dialog appears stating that
    the Java virtual machine component is required, which I imagine is the
    Microsoft JVM.

    Obviously, this component is no longer available, and clicking on the
    OK button only reiterates this message. When I click on the Cancel
    button instead, the Remote Scripting functionality fails to work.

    Is it possible for Remote Scripting to be configured to work with an
    alternative JVM, such as the Sun Java Plug-In, or is it entirely
    dependent on the Microsoft version?

    Many thanks in advance.

    SW, Dec 23, 2003

  2. SW

    Atrax Guest

    > which I imagine is the Microsoft JVM.

    question 1 : can you confirm that? I suspect it IS dependent on a
    proprietery class or external control of some sort, but I can't say for
    sure right now.
    question 2 : are you considering abandoning remote scripting? my
    personal view is that perhaps you should, though others may disagree.

    Atrax. MVP, IIS
    http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/

    newsflash : Atrax.Richedit 1.0 now released.
    http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/infinitemonkeys/components/Atrax.RichEdit/

    Atrax, Dec 24, 2003

  3. SW

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Atrax wrote:
    >> which I imagine is the Microsoft JVM.

    > question 1 : can you confirm that? I suspect it IS dependent on a
    > proprietery class or external control of some sort, but I can't say
    > for sure right now.
    > question 2 : are you considering abandoning remote scripting? my
    > personal view is that perhaps you should, though others may disagree.

    I don't. Remote scripting is dead.

    Bob

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows, Dec 24, 2003
  4. SW

    Scott Guest

    Bob Wrote:

    "I don't. Remote scripting is dead."

    I'm curious why? My Boss thinks it's the best thing since
    slice bread. I'm new to ASP, so I haven't formed an
    opinion yet.

    spam trap so I
    >don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line,

    then remove the

    Scott, Dec 24, 2003
  5. SW

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > Bob Wrote:
    >
    > "I don't. Remote scripting is dead."
    >
    > I'm curious why? My Boss thinks it's the best thing since
    > slice bread. I'm new to ASP, so I haven't formed an
    > opinion yet.

    It's obsolete technology. New security changes to IE and Windows are going
    to make it much more difficult to use.

    When I did try to use it a few years ago, I was not very successful due to
    the need to make sure the needed software was properly installed on the
    users' machines, and that the software on the server was working correctly.
    It was a huge headache and I haven't attempted to use it since.

    I have started using the XMLHTTPRequest object instead. I have rolled out
    several applications using it and have yet to encounter a user whose machine
    could not run my code (we are in an intranet so we can enforce that people
    are using IE5 and above). I've created a demo that is available at
    http://www.thrasherwebdesign.com/index.asp?pi=links&hp=links.asp that
    illustrates its use. Look for the dynamic listbox demo.

    There are a couple more alternatives illustrated here:
    http://www.davidpenton.com/testsite/tips/

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows, Dec 24, 2003
  6. SW

    SW Guest

    Unfortunately the zip file containing your example ASP pages available
    from the ThrasherWeb site is not available, or at least the link is
    incorrect.

    Is there another link to this zip file?

    SW, Jan 5, 2004
  7. SW

    Bob Barrows Guest

    SW wrote:
    > Unfortunately the zip file containing your example ASP pages available
    > from the ThrasherWeb site is not available, or at least the link is
    > incorrect.
    >
    > Is there another link to this zip file?

    I've informed the webmaster that all the links on the page are broken. In
    the meantime I've emailed a copy of the zipfile to you offline.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows, Jan 5, 2004