Remote web app, local printer.

The Natural Philosopher

I am not sure this is even possible, but could someone tell me if there
is a mechanism whereby pressing a button on the user screen, could
directly invoke the users local print dialogue and send a pre-formatted
page to a printer?

Without printing the HTML page, for example.

Assume users will set security settings to whatever is needful.

I suspect this is a FAQ. And the answer is no..

Evertjan.

The Natural Philosopher wrote on 25 dec 2009 in comp.lang.javascript:
I am not sure this is even possible, but could someone tell me if there
is a mechanism whereby pressing a button on the user screen, could
directly invoke the users local print dialogue and send a pre-formatted
page to a printer?

Yes, use document.print()

and format with CSS and something like:

@media print {
body {background-image:url('');background-color:#fff;}
.noprint, .noprinttoo, #noprintmydiv {display:none;}
}
Without printing the HTML page, for example.

Why, what is wrong with html?
Assume users will set security settings to whatever is needful.

No, I don't assume that or even think it is needful.
I suspect this is a FAQ.

If you harbour such suspicion, it is wrong of you to ask this Q,
as Usenet Netiquette expects you to first inspect the NG archive.

Better read "the" NG FAQ:

And the answer is no.

of "but could someone tell me" ?

You figure that one out.

}

Why, what is wrong with html?

You omitted the definite article. Nothing is wrong with HTML, but THE
html is not what needs printing.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Evertjan.

The Natural Philosopher wrote on 25 dec 2009 in comp.lang.javascript:
You omitted the definite article. Nothing is wrong with HTML, but THE
html is not what needs printing.

Your "the" belongs to the substantive "page",
not to the adjective HTML. ;-)

It is not clear to me what you mean by not wanting to print the html page,
do you want to print something unformatted?