    works well in my local environment. Can this be extended to a host
    provider environment as well? Aside from interaction delays, what are
    the pros/cons? Thanks for sharing some insights.

    helveticus, May 2, 2008

  2. helveticus

    helveticus Guest

    Thanks. What alternative would you suggest? I'm really not inclined to
    keep on adding extra admin pages for stuff that can easily be handled
    by a DB client program.

    helveticus, May 2, 2008

  3. helveticus

    helveticus Guest

    Thanks again for your feedback. Do you mean by SSMS SQL Server
    Management Studio? I currently have the Express version 2008 which
    unfortunately does not support connections beyond the host it is
    installed at.

    Does that mean that I need to purchase the commercial version to do DB
    management? I plan on carrying out fairly simple operations
    (retrieving data from the remote DB for additional processing via
    Access/Excel, and editing existing DB content tables). No need to
    create specialized SPROCS, etc. (I'll use pass-through queries.)
    Before embarking on remotely linking to SQL Server via MS Access, I
    just want to ascertain that MS Access can link up to a remote ISP DB w/
    o too many problems. Is this feasible or do I have to factor in
    potential vulnerabilities (security, data integrity over the wire,
    etc. ) that would defeat the purpose of remotely managing the DB?
    Currently, I still use Office 2K (still working fine for my
    purposes ;=) )

    helveticus, May 2, 2008
  4. helveticus

    Paul Shapiro Guest

    You can link an Access mdb or adp to a SQL Server db and do at least some of
    the management that way IF your Access version is more recent than your SQL
    Server version. But SQL Server Management Studio is more capable. You can
    buy SQL Server Developer Edition for about $50, and that includes SSMS. You
    can probably also find free downloadable SQL management programs but I
    haven't used any.

    Paul Shapiro, May 2, 2008
  5. helveticus

    NH Guest

    I thought the Developer Edition is purely for testing and R&D and that kind
    of thing. You cannot use it in Production.

    NH, May 2, 2008
  6. helveticus

    sloan Guest

    Sql Server Management Studio Express (the free one) will connect to remote
    Sql Server's.

    The remote Sql Server NEEDS TO CONFIGURED TO HANDLE/ACCEPT REMOTE REQUESTS.

    But I use the freebie tool all the time to connect to remote sql servers.

    I have licenses for the developer edition for 2 boxes (work and laptop).
    Everything else I put that freebie tool on.

    The freebie tool does not do JOBS, FYI. Outside of that, I don't really
    miss anything.

    The $50 for developer edition is well spent as well.

    sloan, May 2, 2008
  7. helveticus

    helveticus Guest

    Thanks for your response. You seem to imply that there should not be
    too many hassles. Currently, I use SQL Server (because of MS built-in
    support), but I'm considering switching over to MySQL in the future
    (alas, LINQ is not supported). To me, flexibility is key.

    MS Access provides this versatility. As a front-end client, I am able
    via ODBC to access w/o too much trouble - at least in my local
    environment - either SQL Server or MySQL and retrieve/edit data on the
    fly. From what I have read and the wording of your post, the
    performance penalties appear to be acceptable.

    PS: Don't quite understand your first instance: "..You can link an
    Access mdb or adp to a SQL Server db and do at least some of the
    management that way IF your Access version is more recent than your
    SQL Server version". What restrictions may arise? I link up to SQL
    Server Express 2005 via Access 2000. Editing/Retrieving work ok.

    helveticus, May 2, 2008
  8. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember using the EXPRESS
    version of SQL Server with remote connections very easily. Have you checked
    your settings? Check this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;914277
    Peter

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], May 3, 2008
  9. helveticus

    Paul Shapiro Guest

    That's correct, you cannot use SQL Server Developer Edition in production.
    The SQL Server is licensed for a single connection. But the Management
    Studio works fine for also managing a production server, and seems to me to
    at least be within the spirit of a developer license. I haven't looked at
    the license text to verify that it's legal.

    Paul Shapiro, May 3, 2008