Remoting in IIS

Guest

I'm trying to host a remoting app in IIS and am getting the following error:

Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005 Access
is denied.

I tried adding ASPNET to the Administrators group with no success.

The error is preceded by the following warning:

Failed to initialize the AppDomain:/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/CTEDataController

Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException
Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
Access is denied.
StackTrace: at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName,
String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint,
StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean
forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef,
Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
forIntrospection)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName,
Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args,
CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo,
StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
at
System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironment(String
appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
hostingParameters)
at
System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironmentAndReportErrors(String
appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
hostingParameters)

Any ideas???

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Lghummel,

Welcome to ASP.NET newsgroup.
From your description, you're hosting a remoting object in IIS(ASP.NET),
however, when you try starting the host asp.net web application, you
encountering the following error:

==============
Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005
Access
is denied.
==============

if anything else I missed , please feel free to let me know. As for the
condition you mentioned, it is likely the asp.net process is executing
identity dosn't have the sufficient permissions to access GAC file.
(System.Web is the main assembly required by web application). Have you
tried running a very simple HelloWorld page(aspx page) to see whether it
can work on the site? Also, would you provide the detailed info about your
server environment such as OS version, IIS.

In addition, what's the current Authentication mode you used in IIS for
that application's virtual dir and have you used impersonation in ASP.NET ?

Please feel free to post here if there're any further info.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?TEdIdW1tZWw=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Remoting in IIS
| Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 16:37:03 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I'm trying to host a remoting app in IIS and am getting the following
error:

| Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does
not
| have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005
Access
| is denied.
|
| I tried adding ASPNET to the Administrators group with no success.
|
| The error is preceded by the following warning:
|
| Failed to initialize the AppDomain:/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/CTEDataController
|
| Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException
| Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0,
| Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its
dependencies.
| Access is denied.
| StackTrace: at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName,
| String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint,
| StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean
| forIntrospection)
| at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef,
| Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
| forIntrospection)
| at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
| Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
| forIntrospection)
| at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
typeName,
| Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[]
args,
| CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence
securityInfo,
| StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
| at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
typeName)
| at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
typeName)
| at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
typeName)
| at

System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironment(
String
| appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
| hostingParameters)
| at

System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironmentA
ndReportErrors(String
| appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
| hostingParameters)
|
| Any ideas???

Guest

Hi Steven,

I can run an axpx file on the site . I am running IIS 5.1 on my development
box (WinXP Pro 2002 SP2). I was able to verify (per Juan's reply) that the
user is ASPNET. I do not have impersonation on. Anonymous access is turned
on and the Integrated Windows authentication checkbox is checked. I am
attempting to invoke the remote object via a web service with the follwing
code:

string uri = "http://localhost/CTEDataController/CTEDataAccessor.rem";
object remoteObj = RemotingServices.Connect(typeof(ICTEDataAccessor), uri);
ICTEDataAccessor icted = remoteObj as ICTEDataAccessor;

Return Message:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <CTEDataUpdateInfo xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://tempuri.org/">
<msgTxt><?xml version="1.0" ?> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML
1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"> <html
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" > <head> <title>Server Unavailable
#ff3300">Server Application Unavailable </span></h1> <p> <span
style="font-family:Verdana;"> The web application you are attempting to
access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh"
<b>Administrator Note: </b> An error message detailing the cause of this
specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web
server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to
<RowsUpdated>0</RowsUpdated>
<ReturnValue>0</ReturnValue>
</CTEDataUpdateInfo>

Here's the web.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<connectionStrings>
<add
name="CTEDataController.Properties.Settings.time_entryConnectionString"
connectionString="Data
Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\time_entry.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
</connectionStrings>
<system.runtime.remoting>
<application>
<service>
<wellknown type="CTEDataAccessor, CTEDataController" mode="Singleton"
objectUri="CTEDataAccessor.rem" />
</service>
<channels>
<channel ref="tcp" port="8085"/>
</channels>
</application>
</system.runtime.remoting>
</configuration>

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Loring

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Lghummel,

Welcome to ASP.NET newsgroup.
From your description, you're hosting a remoting object in IIS(ASP.NET),
> [...]

securityInfo,
| StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
| at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
typeName)
| at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
typeName)
| at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
typeName)
| at

System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironment(
String
| appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
| hostingParameters)
| at

System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironmentA
ndReportErrors(String
| appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Lghummel,

Thanks for your response.
So the ASP.NET runtime on the system works correctly. Is this the first
time you encounter the problem on that server, have you encountered such
problem before when accessing remoting component? I'm wondering whether
this is a component specific issue. What's the detailed code logic in your
remoting component , is it calling some other components which cause the
failure? Based on my research I've found the following web link which
demostrate a problem which has similiar symptom as yours:

http://www.hightechtalks.com/showthread.php?p=7126840#post7126840

It indicate a component specific issue, so I'd suggest you test a simple
helloworld remoting component in your problem envirnoment to see whether it
works.

> [...]

web
| server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error
| <RowsUpdated>0</RowsUpdated>
| <ReturnValue>0</ReturnValue>
| </CTEDataUpdateInfo>
|
| Here's the web.config:
|
| <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
| <configuration>
| <connectionStrings>
| <add
| name="CTEDataController.Properties.Settings.time_entryConnectionString"
| connectionString="Data

Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\time_entry.mdf;Integrat
ed Security=True;User Instance=True"
| providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
| </connectionStrings>
| <system.runtime.remoting>
| <application>
| <service>
| <wellknown type="CTEDataAccessor, CTEDataController"

IIS(ASP.NET),
| > however, when you try starting the host asp.net web application, you
| > encountering the following error:
| >
| > ==============
| > Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does
not
| > have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005
| > Access
| > is denied.
| > ==============
| >
| > if anything else I missed , please feel free to let me know. As for
the
| > condition you mentioned, it is likely the asp.net process is executing
| > identity dosn't have the sufficient permissions to access GAC file.
| > (System.Web is the main assembly required by web application). Have
you
| > tried running a very simple HelloWorld page(aspx page) to see whether
it
| > can work on the site? Also, would you provide the detailed info about
your
| > server environment such as OS version, IIS.
| >
| > In addition, what's the current Authentication mode you used in IIS for
| > that application's virtual dir and have you used impersonation in
ASP.NET ?

| > Please feel free to post here if there're any further info.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?TEdIdW1tZWw=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Remoting in IIS
| > | Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 16:37:03 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | I'm trying to host a remoting app in IIS and am getting the following
| > error:
| > |
| > | Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity
does
| > not
| > | have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005
| > Access
| > | is denied.
| > |
| > | I tried adding ASPNET to the Administrators group with no success.
| > |
| > | The error is preceded by the following warning:
| > |
| > | Failed to initialize the AppDomain:/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/CTEDataController
| > |
| > | Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException
| > | Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web,
Version=2.0.0.0,
| > | Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its
| > dependencies.
| > | Access is denied.
| > | StackTrace: at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName
fileName,
| > | String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint,
| > | StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean
| > | forIntrospection)
| > | at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName
assemblyRef,
| > | Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
| > | forIntrospection)
| > | at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
| > | Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
| > | forIntrospection)
| > | at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
| > typeName,
| > | Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[]
| > args,
| > | CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence
| > securityInfo,
| > | StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
| > | at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
| > typeName)
| > | at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
| > typeName)
| > | at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
| > typeName)
| > | at
| > |

System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironment(
| > String
| > | appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
| > | hostingParameters)
| > | at
| > |

System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironmentA
| > ndReportErrors(String
| > | appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
| > | hostingParameters)
| > |
| > | Any ideas???
| > |
| > |
| > |

Juan T. Llibre

Hi, Loring.

If, as seems likely, like Steven says, the problem is that the
"asp.net process executing identity dosn't have sufficient
permissions to access the GAC file", or whether the problem
is a security-related runtime problem but does not relate to the
GAC, there's a simple way to assign the proper permissions
which the ASP.NET process accounts needs to run.

Run : aspnet_regiis -ga YourMachinename\ASPNET
from the .Net Framework directory.

Running that should give the ASPNET account
any permissions it needs but doesn't have.

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Lghummel,

Welcome to ASP.NET newsgroup.
From your description, you're hosting a remoting object in IIS(ASP.NET),