Remoting in IIS

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?TEdIdW1tZWw=?=, Nov 9, 2005.

  1. I'm trying to host a remoting app in IIS and am getting the following error:

    Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
    have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005 Access
    is denied.

    I tried adding ASPNET to the Administrators group with no success.

    The error is preceded by the following warning:

    Failed to initialize the AppDomain:/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/CTEDataController

    Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException
    Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
    Access is denied.
    StackTrace: at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName,
    String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint,
    StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean
    forIntrospection)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef,
    Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
    forIntrospection)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
    Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
    forIntrospection)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName,
    Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args,
    CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo,
    StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
    at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
    at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
    at
    System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironment(String
    appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
    hostingParameters)
    at
    System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironmentAndReportErrors(String
    appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
    hostingParameters)

    Any ideas???
    =?Utf-8?B?TEdIdW1tZWw=?=, Nov 9, 2005

  2. re:
    > I tried adding ASPNET to the Administrators group with no success.

    Is ASPNET the process identity ASP.NET is running as ?

    For a quick way to find out which account ASP.NET is running as ,see :
    http://www.aspnetfaq.com/default.aspx?FaqId=256&CategoryId=39

    Make sure *that* is the account you're giving permissions to.

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 9, 2005

  3. Hi Lghummel,

    Welcome to ASP.NET newsgroup.
    From your description, you're hosting a remoting object in IIS(ASP.NET),
    however, when you try starting the host asp.net web application, you
    encountering the following error:

    ==============
    Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
    have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005
    Access
    is denied.
    ==============

    if anything else I missed , please feel free to let me know. As for the
    condition you mentioned, it is likely the asp.net process is executing
    identity dosn't have the sufficient permissions to access GAC file.
    (System.Web is the main assembly required by web application). Have you
    tried running a very simple HelloWorld page(aspx page) to see whether it
    can work on the site? Also, would you provide the detailed info about your
    server environment such as OS version, IIS.

    In addition, what's the current Authentication mode you used in IIS for
    that application's virtual dir and have you used impersonation in ASP.NET ?

    Please feel free to post here if there're any further info.

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 9, 2005
  4. Hi Steven,

    I can run an axpx file on the site . I am running IIS 5.1 on my development
    box (WinXP Pro 2002 SP2). I was able to verify (per Juan's reply) that the
    user is ASPNET. I do not have impersonation on. Anonymous access is turned
    on and the Integrated Windows authentication checkbox is checked. I am
    attempting to invoke the remote object via a web service with the follwing
    code:

    string uri = "http://localhost/CTEDataController/CTEDataAccessor.rem";
    object remoteObj = RemotingServices.Connect(typeof(ICTEDataAccessor), uri);
    ICTEDataAccessor icted = remoteObj as ICTEDataAccessor;

    Return Message:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    - <CTEDataUpdateInfo xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
    xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://tempuri.org/">
    <msgTxt><?xml version="1.0" ?> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML
    1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"> <html
    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" > <head> <title>Server Unavailable
    #ff3300">Server Application Unavailable </span></h1> <p> <span
    style="font-family:Verdana;"> The web application you are attempting to
    access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh"
    <b>Administrator Note: </b> An error message detailing the cause of this
    specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web
    server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to
    <RowsUpdated>0</RowsUpdated>
    <ReturnValue>0</ReturnValue>
    </CTEDataUpdateInfo>

    Here's the web.config:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
    <connectionStrings>
    <add
    name="CTEDataController.Properties.Settings.time_entryConnectionString"
    connectionString="Data
    Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\time_entry.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True"
    providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    </connectionStrings>
    <system.runtime.remoting>
    <application>
    <service>
    <wellknown type="CTEDataAccessor, CTEDataController" mode="Singleton"
    objectUri="CTEDataAccessor.rem" />
    </service>
    <channels>
    <channel ref="tcp" port="8085"/>
    </channels>
    </application>
    </system.runtime.remoting>
    </configuration>

    Thanks for taking a look at this.

    Loring

    =?Utf-8?B?TEdIdW1tZWw=?=, Nov 10, 2005
  5. Hi Lghummel,

    Thanks for your response.
    So the ASP.NET runtime on the system works correctly. Is this the first
    time you encounter the problem on that server, have you encountered such
    problem before when accessing remoting component? I'm wondering whether
    this is a component specific issue. What's the detailed code logic in your
    remoting component , is it calling some other components which cause the
    failure? Based on my research I've found the following web link which
    demostrate a problem which has similiar symptom as yours:

    http://www.hightechtalks.com/showthread.php?p=7126840#post7126840

    It indicate a component specific issue, so I'd suggest you test a simple
    helloworld remoting component in your problem envirnoment to see whether it
    works.

> [...]

    it
    | > can work on the site? Also, would you provide the detailed info about
    your
    | > server environment such as OS version, IIS.
    | >
    | > In addition, what's the current Authentication mode you used in IIS for
    | > that application's virtual dir and have you used impersonation in
    ASP.NET ?

    | > Please feel free to post here if there're any further info.
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | >

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?TEdIdW1tZWw=?=" <>
    | > | Subject: Remoting in IIS
    | > | Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 16:37:03 -0800
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | > |
    | > | I'm trying to host a remoting app in IIS and am getting the following
    | > |
    | > | Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity
    does
    | > not
    | > | have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005
    | > Access
    | > | is denied.
    | > |
    | > | I tried adding ASPNET to the Administrators group with no success.
    | > |
    | > | The error is preceded by the following warning:
    | > |
    | > | Failed to initialize the AppDomain:/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/CTEDataController
    | > |
    | > | Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException
    | > | Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web,
    Version=2.0.0.0,
    | > | Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its
    | > dependencies.
    | > | Access is denied.
    | > | StackTrace: at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName
    fileName,
    | > | String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint,
    | > | StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean
    | > | forIntrospection)
    | > | at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName
    assemblyRef,
    | > | Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
    | > | forIntrospection)
    | > | at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
    | > | Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
    | > | forIntrospection)
    | > | at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
    | > typeName,
    | > | Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[]
    | > args,
    | > | CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence
    | > securityInfo,
    | > | StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    | > | at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
    | > typeName)
    | > | at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
    | > typeName)
    | > | at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String
    | > typeName)
    | > | at
    | > |

    System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironment(
    | > String
    | > | appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
    | > | hostingParameters)
    | > | at
    | > |

    System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironmentA
    | > ndReportErrors(String
    | > | appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
    | > | hostingParameters)
    | > |
    | > | Any ideas???
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 10, 2005
  6. Hi, Loring.

    If, as seems likely, like Steven says, the problem is that the
    "asp.net process executing identity dosn't have sufficient
    permissions to access the GAC file", or whether the problem
    is a security-related runtime problem but does not relate to the
    GAC, there's a simple way to assign the proper permissions
    which the ASP.NET process accounts needs to run.

    Run : aspnet_regiis -ga YourMachinename\ASPNET
    from the .Net Framework directory.

    Running that should give the ASPNET account
    any permissions it needs but doesn't have.

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 10, 2005