remove connection information from the global.asa file

Sylvain

Hi !

Here's my problem:

I have actually an asp web site which use the global.asa file to connect to
the database but for security reason, I want to put username and password
information (or the complete connection string) in a seperate file so only a
special user could read these informations.

Is someone knows how to do this ?

Thanks very much

Sly

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?U3lsdmFpbg==?= wrote on 26 apr 2006 in
Here's my problem:

I have actually an asp web site which use the global.asa file to
connect to the database but for security reason, I want to put
username and password information (or the complete connection string)
in a seperate file so only a special user could read these
informations.

Is someone knows how to do this ?

I don't understand.

Global.asa is unreadable from the outside,
just like the seperate file you wanted,
and both are readable for the site programmer by ftp or whatever.

================

If you want you can put an include file in the top of all
..asp files you need to access the db in:

<!--#include virtual ="/dir/openDb.asp"-->

Sylvain

Hi !

Thanks for your answer. In fact, the reason why I want to separate
connection information from the global.asa file is because even the developer
should not have access to username and password, only one user (implementer)
and the application. Developer can have access to global.asa code without
being able to see the username and password.

I don't know if it is possible but if so, I'd like to have username and
password info in only one separate file and affect the value to my connection
string in global.asa.

Thanks for your answers.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

In classic ASP, this is not possible without using a COM dll, perhaps
created in VB6.