Remove DLL from GAC in Framework 2.0

Diego F.

Hi. I want to delete an assembly registered in the GAC, but I get an error.
How can I remove it? I'm using VS 2005 beta1 and the assembly is in the GAC
from framework 2.0

Diego F.

I could remove it with the VS console. The problem is that I have also to
remove it from the server and the sdk is not installed.

Diego F.

I try to remove it with the framework configuration tool in Administrative
Tools, and it gives me an error when I try to delete: There was an error
removing xxx.dll.

Kevin Spencer

You don't need the SDK. It comes with the Framework. It's a command-line
tool in the Framework directory under \Windows\Microsoft .Net\Framework.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Sometimes you eat the elephant.
Sometimes the elephant eats you.

Scott Allen

GACUTIL isn't part of the framework, it's only installed with the SDK.
This causes these wierd sort of scenarios that Diego is in.

Kevin Spencer

Interesting, and I apologize if I misspoke. It is also possible to work with
the GAC as if it were a folder, BTW. You can add assemblies by dragging and
dropping. You can also select an assembly, right-click it, and select
"uninstall."
--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Sometimes you eat the elephant.
Sometimes the elephant eats you.

Kevin Spencer

Hi Diego,

Which tool, and what error?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

Diego F.

From the .NET Framework Configuration, where you see the assemblies, if I
try to delete the assembly I get an error: "There was an error removing
myassembly"

Kevin Spencer

From the .NET Framework Configuration, where you see the assemblies,

The problem is, I don't see what you see. Can you describe exactly what
you're doing?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

Diego F.

From the Administrative Tools, you have Microsoft .NET Configuration. Once
there you can see the assemblies in the GAC.

Kevin Spencer

Have you tried opening the \Windows\assembly folder, right-clicking the
file, and selecting "Uninstall?"

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
i am having two dll with same name but diff version.. then how to remove any one dll... that gacutil /u is not working

Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
i am having two dll with same name but diff version in GAC.. then how to remove any one dll from GAC... that gacutil /u is not working