    documents? My guess it that the users will want them to be left on for
    other print outs. So is it possible to make it page specific? (maybe
    adding a little HTML/DHTML/JAVA script)

    Smitro, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Smitro

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:39:57 +1000, Smitro
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > It seems that everyone has headers and footers enabled on there browser.
    > I am creating on online database that prints quotes and invoices for our
    > staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and Footers when printing
    > documents?

    No. That's a browser setting.

    > My guess it that the users will want them to be left on for other print
    > outs. So is it possible to make it page specific? (maybe adding a little
    > HTML/DHTML/JAVA script)

    No. Nothing the author can/should do.

    Neal, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Smitro

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Smitro <> said:

    > Hi,

    G'day.

    > It seems that everyone has headers and footers enabled on there browser.

    If you're talking about the info that the browser adds (page address,
    date printed, et al), then in most cases, yes. That is the factory
    default.

    > I am creating on online database that prints quotes and invoices for our
    > staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and Footers when printing
    > documents?

    Change the printer settings in your browser.

    > My guess it that the users will want them to be left on for
    > other print outs. So is it possible to make it page specific? (maybe
    > adding a little HTML/DHTML/JAVA script)

    No.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Smitro

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Nico Schuyt, Dec 21, 2004
  5. Smitro

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > Smitro wrote:
    >
    >>I am creating on online database that prints quotes and
    >>invoices for our staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and
    >>Footers when printing documents?

    > For IE:
    > http://developer.irt.org/script/1437.htm
    > example:
    > http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/unid/EPSD-55TPMN?OpenDocument

    So, what about everyone else? 1 in 10 people dont use IE.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Smitro

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:59:27 +0000, SpaceGirl
    <> wrote:
    >Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> Smitro wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am creating on online database that prints quotes and
    >>>invoices for our staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and
    >>>Footers when printing documents?

    >> For IE:
    >> http://developer.irt.org/script/1437.htm
    >> example:
    >> http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/unid/EPSD-55TPMN?OpenDocument
    >>

    >So, what about everyone else? 1 in 10 people dont use IE.

    It also won't work for any IE user who, quite sensibly, doesn't allow
    random ActiveX controls to be run.

    He did say that it was 'staff' so maybe he can be certain that only IE
    users with JavaScript and ActiveX permitted will use this facility.
    Poor them.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Dec 21, 2004
  7. Smitro

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> Smitro wrote:

    >>> I am creating on online database that prints quotes and
    >>> invoices for our staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and
    >>> Footers when printing documents?

    >> For IE:
    >> http://developer.irt.org/script/1437.htm
    >> example:
    >> http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/unid/EPSD-55TPMN?OpenDocument

    > So, what about everyone else? 1 in 10 people dont use IE.

    That means a solution for 90%. The other 10% will see a header and footer on
    the print. No real problem I think.
    But it's probably not relevant in this case. The OP mentioned ' for our
    staff.'
    (Do you have a better solution :)
    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl

    Nico Schuyt, Dec 21, 2004
  8. Smitro

    rf Guest

    Smitro

    > Hi,
    >
    > It seems that everyone has headers and footers enabled on there browser.
    > I am creating on online database that prints quotes and invoices for our
    > staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and Footers when printing
    > documents? My guess it that the users will want them to be left on for
    > other print outs. So is it possible to make it page specific? (maybe
    > adding a little HTML/DHTML/JAVA script)

    Think about things other than the web:

    What happens when you, for instance, fax a quote to somebody. You get a fax
    header and, sometimes, a footer.

    So...what is the big problem with a web header?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 21, 2004
  9. Smitro

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >>Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >>>For IE:
    >>>http://developer.irt.org/script/1437.htm
    >>>example:
    >>>http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/unid/EPSD-55TPMN?OpenDocument

    >>So, what about everyone else? 1 in 10 people dont use IE.

    > That means a solution for 90%. The other 10% will see a header and footer on
    > the print. No real problem I think.
    > But it's probably not relevant in this case. The OP mentioned ' for our
    > staff.'
    > (Do you have a better solution :)

    Yes. I wouldn't bother at all. The printer is to do with the
    OS/Browser/Local configuration and not under the control of a web page
    what so ever. Even if it is on an Intranet. What if the user had a
    super-duper colour printer set up as their default printer (say for
    PhotoShop) and used a simple b&w one for regular prints. Along comes
    your fancy web site that prints to the WRONG printer. No thanks.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 21, 2004
  10. Smitro

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> SpaceGirl wrote:

    >>> So, what about everyone else? 1 in 10 people dont use IE.

    >> That means a solution for 90%. The other 10% will see a header and
    >> footer on the print. No real problem I think.
    >> But it's probably not relevant in this case. The OP mentioned ' for
    >> our staff.'
    >> (Do you have a better solution :)

    > Yes. I wouldn't bother at all.

    In real life it's a customer who bothers.

    > The printer is to do with the
    > OS/Browser/Local configuration and not under the control of a web page
    > what so ever. Even if it is on an Intranet. What if the user had a
    > super-duper colour printer set up as their default printer (say for
    > PhotoShop) and used a simple b&w one for regular prints. Along comes
    > your fancy web site that prints to the WRONG printer. No thanks.

    My advice was concerning resetting the header and footer. Not printer
    selection. Works fine for customers who print official documents like
    invoices from a website. The regular header and footer would be totally
    unacceptable.

    Nico Schuyt, Dec 21, 2004
  11. Smitro

    Philip Ronan Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > Smitro wrote:
    >> I am creating on online database that prints quotes and
    >> invoices for our staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and
    >> Footers when printing documents?

    > For IE:
    > http://developer.irt.org/script/1437.htm
    > example:
    > http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/unid/EPSD-55TPMN?OpenDocument

    This just reminded me of when I booked a holiday at a travel agent last
    year. Their booking system seemed to be based on Windows systems running IE,
    which the sales assistant used to print off various booking confirmation
    forms for us. I can't remember if the print-outs had headers and footers,
    but I do recall the forms looked pretty awful (tiny page margins, page
    breaks slicing through lines of text, etc.).

    It's not as easy, but generating PDF or RTF files instead of HTML would
    produce much nicer results.

    --
    phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
    http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/

    Philip Ronan, Dec 21, 2004
  12. Smitro

    Mitja Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:32:16 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    >> It seems that everyone has headers and footers enabled on there browser.
    >> I am creating on online database that prints quotes and invoices for our
    >> staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and Footers when printing

    > So...what is the big problem with a web header?

    They don't look good on an invoice, obviously. And they are unneccessary
    in this situation.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Dec 21, 2004
  13. Smitro

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Philip Ronan wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> Smitro wrote:

    >>> I am creating on online database that prints quotes and
    >>> invoices for our staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and
    >>> Footers when printing documents?

    >> For IE:
    >> http://developer.irt.org/script/1437.htm
    >> example:
    >> http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/unid/EPSD-55TPMN?OpenDocument

    > It's not as easy, but generating PDF or RTF files instead of HTML
    > would produce much nicer results.

    That might be a good alternative. Not sure however if it's practical.
    You have to create two files: HTML for viewing on screen and an RTF for
    printing.

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl

    Nico Schuyt, Dec 22, 2004
  14. Smitro

    Philip Ronan Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > Philip Ronan wrote:
    >
    >> It's not as easy, but generating PDF or RTF files instead of HTML
    >> would produce much nicer results.

    > That might be a good alternative. Not sure however if it's practical.
    > You have to create two files: HTML for viewing on screen and an RTF for
    > printing.

    True, but if these printouts are going to be handed out to customers then I
    really don't think it's a good idea to trust IE to do the job properly.

    Besides, producing two versions shouldn't be *that* hard if the site is
    running off a flexible content management system. There are PDF modules
    available for PHP and probably other scripting languages besides. RTF files
    aren't all that difficult to generate on the fly.

    Philip Ronan, Dec 22, 2004
  15. Smitro

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Philip Ronan wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >>> It's not as easy, but generating PDF or RTF files instead of HTML
    >>> would produce much nicer results.

    >> That might be a good alternative. Not sure however if it's practical.
    >> You have to create two files: HTML for viewing on screen and an RTF
    >> for printing.

    > True, but if these printouts are going to be handed out to customers
    > then I really don't think it's a good idea to trust IE to do the job
    > properly.
    > Besides, producing two versions shouldn't be *that* hard if the site
    > is running off a flexible content management system. There are PDF
    > modules available for PHP and probably other scripting languages
    > besides. RTF files aren't all that difficult to generate on the fly.

    I agree it's worth a closer look :)
    I found the link http://www.paggard.com/projects/rtf.generator/
    Do you have a better solution for the RTF?

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl

    Nico Schuyt, Dec 22, 2004
  16. Smitro

    Philip Ronan Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > I found the link http://www.paggard.com/projects/rtf.generator/
    > Do you have a better solution for the RTF?

    Just create a template RTF file with dummy text inserted in the places you
    need to change. When you want to create a new document, load this file and
    replace the dummy text with the actual content.

    You can do the same thing with PDF files, but it's not quite so easy (for
    example, you need to work out where the line breaks go).

    Phil

    Philip Ronan, Dec 22, 2004
  17. Smitro

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Philip Ronan wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >

    >>Smitro wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am creating on online database that prints quotes and
    >>>invoices for our staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and
    >>>Footers when printing documents?

    >>For IE:
    >>http://developer.irt.org/script/1437.htm
    >>example:
    >>http://www.codestore.net/store.nsf/unid/EPSD-55TPMN?OpenDocument

    > This just reminded me of when I booked a holiday at a travel agent last
    > year. Their booking system seemed to be based on Windows systems running IE,
    > which the sales assistant used to print off various booking confirmation
    > forms for us. I can't remember if the print-outs had headers and footers,
    > but I do recall the forms looked pretty awful (tiny page margins, page
    > breaks slicing through lines of text, etc.).
    >
    > It's not as easy, but generating PDF or RTF files instead of HTML would
    > produce much nicer results.

    If your page is valid XHTML, you can use XSLT to transform it into a PDF
    file through one of many server side classes/plugins/filters... all
    platforms have them.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 22, 2004
  18. Smitro

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Philip Ronan wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >> I found the link http://www.paggard.com/projects/rtf.generator/
    >> Do you have a better solution for the RTF?

    > Just create a template RTF file with dummy text inserted in the
    > places you need to change. When you want to create a new document,
    > load this file and replace the dummy text with the actual content.

    Great idea. Thanks!

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl