Remove Header and Footer

Smitro

Hi,

It seems that everyone has headers and footers enabled on there browser.
I am creating on online database that prints quotes and invoices for our
staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and Footers when printing
documents? My guess it that the users will want them to be left on for
other print outs. So is it possible to make it page specific? (maybe
adding a little HTML/DHTML/JAVA script)

Neal

Hi,

It seems that everyone has headers and footers enabled on there browser.
I am creating on online database that prints quotes and invoices for our
staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and Footers when printing
documents?

No. That's a browser setting.
My guess it that the users will want them to be left on for other print
outs. So is it possible to make it page specific? (maybe adding a little
HTML/DHTML/JAVA script)

No. Nothing the author can/should do.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Hi,
G'day.

It seems that everyone has headers and footers enabled on there browser.

If you're talking about the info that the browser adds (page address,
date printed, et al), then in most cases, yes. That is the factory
default.
I am creating on online database that prints quotes and invoices for our
staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and Footers when printing
documents?

Change the printer settings in your browser.
My guess it that the users will want them to be left on for
other print outs. So is it possible to make it page specific? (maybe
adding a little HTML/DHTML/JAVA script)

No.

Steve Pugh

So, what about everyone else? 1 in 10 people dont use IE.

It also won't work for any IE user who, quite sensibly, doesn't allow
random ActiveX controls to be run.

He did say that it was 'staff' so maybe he can be certain that only IE
users with JavaScript and ActiveX permitted will use this facility.
Poor them.

Steve

Nico Schuyt

So, what about everyone else? 1 in 10 people dont use IE.

That means a solution for 90%. The other 10% will see a header and footer on
the print. No real problem I think.
But it's probably not relevant in this case. The OP mentioned ' for our
staff.'
(Do you have a better solution :)

rf

Smitro
Hi,

It seems that everyone has headers and footers enabled on there browser.
I am creating on online database that prints quotes and invoices for our
staff. Is it possible to remove the Headers and Footers when printing
documents? My guess it that the users will want them to be left on for
other print outs. So is it possible to make it page specific? (maybe
adding a little HTML/DHTML/JAVA script)

Think about things other than the web:

What happens when you, for instance, fax a quote to somebody. You get a fax
header and, sometimes, a footer.

So...what is the big problem with a web header?

SpaceGirl

Nico said:
That means a solution for 90%. The other 10% will see a header and footer on
the print. No real problem I think.
But it's probably not relevant in this case. The OP mentioned ' for our
staff.'
(Do you have a better solution :)

Yes. I wouldn't bother at all. The printer is to do with the
OS/Browser/Local configuration and not under the control of a web page
what so ever. Even if it is on an Intranet. What if the user had a
super-duper colour printer set up as their default printer (say for
PhotoShop) and used a simple b&w one for regular prints. Along comes
your fancy web site that prints to the WRONG printer. No thanks.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Nico Schuyt

Yes. I wouldn't bother at all.

In real life it's a customer who bothers.
The printer is to do with the
OS/Browser/Local configuration and not under the control of a web page
what so ever. Even if it is on an Intranet. What if the user had a
super-duper colour printer set up as their default printer (say for
PhotoShop) and used a simple b&w one for regular prints. Along comes
your fancy web site that prints to the WRONG printer. No thanks.

My advice was concerning resetting the header and footer. Not printer
selection. Works fine for customers who print official documents like
invoices from a website. The regular header and footer would be totally
unacceptable.
(Do you have a better solution :)

Philip Ronan

Nico said:

This just reminded me of when I booked a holiday at a travel agent last
year. Their booking system seemed to be based on Windows systems running IE,
which the sales assistant used to print off various booking confirmation
forms for us. I can't remember if the print-outs had headers and footers,
but I do recall the forms looked pretty awful (tiny page margins, page
breaks slicing through lines of text, etc.).

It's not as easy, but generating PDF or RTF files instead of HTML would
produce much nicer results.

Nico Schuyt

It's not as easy, but generating PDF or RTF files instead of HTML
would produce much nicer results.

That might be a good alternative. Not sure however if it's practical.
You have to create two files: HTML for viewing on screen and an RTF for
printing.

Philip Ronan

Nico said:
That might be a good alternative. Not sure however if it's practical.
You have to create two files: HTML for viewing on screen and an RTF for
printing.

True, but if these printouts are going to be handed out to customers then I
really don't think it's a good idea to trust IE to do the job properly.

Besides, producing two versions shouldn't be *that* hard if the site is
running off a flexible content management system. There are PDF modules
available for PHP and probably other scripting languages besides. RTF files
aren't all that difficult to generate on the fly.

Nico Schuyt

True, but if these printouts are going to be handed out to customers
then I really don't think it's a good idea to trust IE to do the job
properly.
Besides, producing two versions shouldn't be *that* hard if the site
is running off a flexible content management system. There are PDF
modules available for PHP and probably other scripting languages
besides. RTF files aren't all that difficult to generate on the fly.

I agree it's worth a closer look :)
I found the link http://www.paggard.com/projects/rtf.generator/
Do you have a better solution for the RTF?

Philip Ronan

Nico said:
I found the link http://www.paggard.com/projects/rtf.generator/
Do you have a better solution for the RTF?

Just create a template RTF file with dummy text inserted in the places you
need to change. When you want to create a new document, load this file and
replace the dummy text with the actual content.

You can do the same thing with PDF files, but it's not quite so easy (for
example, you need to work out where the line breaks go).

Phil

SpaceGirl

Philip said:
Nico Schuyt wrote:

This just reminded me of when I booked a holiday at a travel agent last
year. Their booking system seemed to be based on Windows systems running IE,
which the sales assistant used to print off various booking confirmation
forms for us. I can't remember if the print-outs had headers and footers,
but I do recall the forms looked pretty awful (tiny page margins, page
breaks slicing through lines of text, etc.).

It's not as easy, but generating PDF or RTF files instead of HTML would
produce much nicer results.

If your page is valid XHTML, you can use XSLT to transform it into a PDF
file through one of many server side classes/plugins/filters... all
platforms have them.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Nico Schuyt

Philip said:
Nico Schuyt wrote:
Just create a template RTF file with dummy text inserted in the
places you need to change. When you want to create a new document,
load this file and replace the dummy text with the actual content.

Great idea. Thanks!