    URL.

    peace and tia,
    mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp, Nov 23, 2010

  2. On 23/11/10 14:55, mcnewsxp wrote:
    > is there a way to prevent IE from inserting a space between <form>
    > tags? it's like there is <br /> inserted.
    >
    > i don't mean to insult or incite anyone, but please ignore the
    > question if you the urge to lecture comes over you. i will not post a
    > URL.

    Do you mean the fact that ie treats a form as a block element? That
    might be because it is a block element, although you may be able to make
    it behave like an inline element using css.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Nov 23, 2010

  3. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Nov 23, 10:38 am, Denis McMahon <>
    wrote:
    > On 23/11/10 14:55, mcnewsxp wrote:
    >
    > > is there a way to prevent IE from inserting a space between <form>
    > > tags?  it's like there is <br /> inserted.

    > > i don't mean to insult or incite anyone, but please ignore the
    > > question if you the urge to lecture comes over you.  i will not post a
    > > URL.

    > Do you mean the fact that ie treats a form as a block element? That
    > might be because it is a block element, although you may be able to make
    > it behave like an inline element using css.
    >
    > Rgds
    >
    > Denis McMahon

    thanks much.

    mcnewsxp, Nov 23, 2010
  4. mcnewsxp

    wrote:
    > On 23/11/10 14:55, mcnewsxp wrote:
    >
    > > is there a way to prevent IE from inserting a space between <form>
    > > tags?  it's like there is <br /> inserted.

    > > i don't mean to insult or incite anyone, but please ignore the
    > > question if you the urge to lecture comes over you.  i will not post a
    > > URL.

    > Do you mean the fact that ie treats a form as a block element? That
    > might be because it is a block element, although you may be able to make
    > it behave like an inline element using css.

    style="display:inline;"

    sweet.
    again, thanks.

    mcnewsxp, Nov 23, 2010
  5. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Nov 23, 11:15 am, Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    > mcnewsxp <> writes:
    > > i don't mean to insult or incite anyone

    > I don't believe you. At this point, inciting an argument is *exactly*
    > what you intend to do here.
    >
    > > but please ignore the question if you the urge to lecture comes over
    > > you.  i will not post a URL.

    > I even explained to you why creating an example is a useful exercise
    > even if you wind up not needing to post it. You dismiss that as a mere
    > "urge to lecture," and I'm not supposed to consider that insulting?
    >
    > I'm done with you. You're not trying to learn anything, you're just a
    > child throwing a tantrum. Not that I mean to insult you.
    >
    > *plonk*

    could not resist, heh?
    well i asked for a link to a website where i could post pages if i
    choose and received no reply.
    i understand why you think it's a good idea to supply a URL, but on
    the other hand sometimes one just wants a quick answer (when there is
    one) so you can move on. also, one may not welcome the unsolicited
    advice that might accompany the asked for advice. i've inherited all
    of the pages that i work on and only make improvements when i must.
    HTML is a small part of my programming tasks, but i do enjoy
    broadening my knowledge of it.
    so you shouldn't assume that your way of teaching is the only way and
    that all who ask for assistance here are the same type of plonker and
    don't let your feelings get hurt so easily - unless you want to.
    best,
    plonked

    mcnewsxp, Nov 23, 2010
  6. mcnewsxp

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "mcnewsxp" <> wrote in message
    > is there a way to prevent IE from inserting a space between <form>
    > tags? it's like there is <br /> inserted.

    Its worth trying to find out where the space you see is coming from. If you
    are using IE 8 then hit F12 to bring up the Developer Tools, you can then
    select the element you are interested in and see or trace the styles applied
    to it.

    > i don't mean to insult or incite anyone, but please ignore the
    > question if you the urge to lecture comes over you. i will not post a
    > URL.

    Posting a URL would be the easiest way for others to help you directly.
    Otherwise we are just making guesses at what the problem might be.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Nov 25, 2010
  7. mcnewsxp

    dorayme Guest

    In article <iclc72$la9$-september.org>,
    "Brian Cryer" <> wrote:

    > "mcnewsxp" <> wrote in message
    > > is there a way to prevent IE from inserting a space between <form>
    > > tags? it's like there is <br /> inserted.

    > Its worth trying to find out where the space you see is coming from. If you
    > are using IE 8 then hit F12 to bring up the Developer Tools, you can then
    > select the element you are interested in and see or trace the styles applied
    > to it.
    >
    > > i don't mean to insult or incite anyone, but please ignore the
    > > question if you the urge to lecture comes over you. i will not post a
    > > URL.

    No absolute need to post a URL if you can otherwise give a brief
    and accurate enough explanation of the trouble. Your remark about
    appearance of a *space*. It just makes the next bit start on a
    new line under (there is nothing about gaps in the idea of br).

    For example:

    produces no noticeable space but it does produce a new line for
    the second span, a span being an inline element.

    Compare:

    Here there is no space again and yet no br needed because div is
    a block element.

    However with

    <form>text</form>
    <form>text</form>

    You get a space because browsers tend to use a style for form
    that says to make a margin-bottom of some pixels or ems (unlike
    with divs).

    These styles come from a hidden stylesheet that modern browsers
    use. Even if you can't locate it on your machine, you can
    override the styles with your own. If you see a gap you don't
    want, try a zero margin on the least thing that will have a local
    and targeted affect. In this case probably form {margin-bottom:
    0;}.

    Why do default stylesheets give a gap? Because it is usually
    something wanted by most people with a form, one form jammed up
    under another is an unusual requirement. Why not a default
    margin-bottom on a div? Because a div is not a natural box with a
    meaning and often enough no gap is wanted by authors)

    dorayme, Nov 25, 2010