remove unused assemblies (VS2008)

Andrew Morton

ton said:
microsoft claims there is a function to remove unused assemblies in
VS2008 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7sfxafba.aspx

when I try to run this feature there is no "Click the Unused
references button to open the Unused References dialog box." which is
mentioned in the text.

I'm using VS2008 (VB)

anyone an idea?

Ummm.... here's where it is on my VS2008 Pro:
Project menu-> <project name> Properties... ->"References" section at the
left, "Unused References" is a button near the top-right of the pane.

--
Andrew

ton

OK, lets try to find it !
I do not have a project menu
I do have a right mouse menu on the projects name, which does NOT have a a
properties but does have a property pages
when clicking property pages I see the references without the desired
button.

where is your project menu is it the same as I m describing?

thanx

ton

ton

I think I've solved the problem:

the function works for projects not for websites

once I tried to do this for referenced projects like user controls and other
objects 7 classes I do have the property item, and the 4th item is
references and there is a unused reference... button

I've removed all unused references the reason was that my web.config file
used a lot of assemblies I thought these would be removed. This was not the
case, I finaly removed most of them and at the and kept only the 3
assemblies fior crystal reports (11.5). After running it worked fine.

So I still have a question? Why are these assemblies all in to the
web.config. Is this because the unused references from the other projects
and than got in? Buto will not be removed?
I do not understand how assemblies get into the web.config, may be someone
can explain.

thanx any how

ton

ton said:
OK, lets try to find it !
I do not have a project menu
I do have a right mouse menu on the projects name, which does NOT
have a a properties but does have a property pages
when clicking property pages I see the references without the desired
button.

where is your project menu is it the same as I m describing?

Right up in the standard menu bar:
File Edit View *Project* Build Debug Data Tools Window Help

I checked, and it does work with a web project. Maybe your menus are set up
differently? Or perhaps there's some difference from using New->Web Site and
using New->Project...->ASP.NET Web Application (I use the latter).

Scott M.

Possibly because you started with a website and migrated to a web project.

If I just make a web project, everything works fine.

IMHO the "website" option is evil and doesn't reflect what Enterprise
applications actually look like.

-Scott