    be opened. or is it only possible with java script?

    Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?

    Thanks Ian
    mantrid, Dec 9, 2007

  2. mantrid wrote:
    > I use
    > <form action="screen.php" target="_blank" method="post"> and a submit button
    > to open a new separate window which is simply a display screen. I therefore
    > do not wish to have the address, tool and menu bars displayed. Can I do this
    > from the
    > form script? or would I have to put some HTML script on the page that is to
    > be opened. or is it only possible with java script?

    Only with JavaScript *if* the client allows.

    > Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?

    Yes, don't.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 9, 2007

  3. mantrid

    mantrid Guest

    I forgot to mention $_POST[variables] need to be carried forward to the new
    page for filtering the data displayed there.

    mantrid, Dec 9, 2007
  4. mantrid

    richard Guest

    mantrid wrote:
    > I use
    > <form action="screen.php" target="_blank" method="post"> and a submit button
    > to open a new separate window which is simply a display screen. I therefore
    > do not wish to have the address, tool and menu bars displayed. Can I do this
    > from the
    > form script? or would I have to put some HTML script on the page that is to
    > be opened. or is it only possible with java script?
    >
    > Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?
    >
    > Thanks Ian

    http://www.web-source.net/javascript_popup_window2.htm

    If the popup is necessary then you should advise your visitors to be
    sure to turn on JS. If it's for advertising, then f--k you.
    richard, Dec 9, 2007
  5. On 12/9/2007 6:33 AM, mantrid wrote:
    > I use
    > <form action="screen.php" target="_blank" method="post"> and a submit button
    > to open a new separate window which is simply a display screen. I therefore
    > do not wish to have the address, tool and menu bars displayed. Can I do this
    > from the
    > form script? or would I have to put some HTML script on the page that is to
    > be opened. or is it only possible with java script?
    >
    > Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?
    >
    > Thanks Ian

    Do I understand you? You want to change how my browser appears and
    works after I put an effort into making it appear and work exactly the
    way I want it?

    You can't. I use SeaMonkey as my browser. I installed an extension
    that creates a non-standard toolbar that, if you suppress any of the
    standard bars, this bar will still remain. On this bar, I have a button
    that restores the other bars.

    --
    David E. Ross
    <http://www.rossde.com/>

    Natural foods can be harmful: Look at all the
    people who die of natural causes.
    David E. Ross, Dec 9, 2007
  6. mantrid

    mantrid Guest

    "David E. Ross" <> wrote in message
    > On 12/9/2007 6:33 AM, mantrid wrote:
    > > I use
    > > <form action="screen.php" target="_blank" method="post"> and a submit

    button
    > > to open a new separate window which is simply a display screen. I

    therefore
    > > do not wish to have the address, tool and menu bars displayed. Can I do

    this
    > > from the
    > > form script? or would I have to put some HTML script on the page that is

    > > be opened. or is it only possible with java script?
    > >
    > > Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?
    > >
    > > Thanks Ian
    > >

    > Do I understand you? You want to change how my browser appears and
    > works after I put an effort into making it appear and work exactly the
    > way I want it?
    >
    > You can't. I use SeaMonkey as my browser. I installed an extension
    > that creates a non-standard toolbar that, if you suppress any of the
    > standard bars, this bar will still remain. On this bar, I have a button
    > that restores the other bars.
    >
    > --
    > David E. Ross
    > <http://www.rossde.com/>
    >
    > Natural foods can be harmful: Look at all the
    > people who die of natural causes.

    Why is everyone getting uptight about this?
    Perhaps it is easier if you see the service I am providing my users and then
    you will understand why it is not nessessary to have clutter like tool and
    address bars
    goto
    http://www.iddsoftware.co.uk/announcer/announcermain.php
    and then click the example to see the display

    ian
    mantrid, Dec 9, 2007
  7. mantrid

    John Hosking Guest

    On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:40:34 GMT, mantrid wrote:
    F'ups set to c.i.w.a.h

    > "David E. Ross" <> wrote in message

    >> You can't. I use SeaMonkey as my browser. I installed an extension
    >> that creates a non-standard toolbar that, if you suppress any of the
    >> standard bars, this bar will still remain. On this bar, I have a button
    >> that restores the other bars.
    >>
    >> --
    >> David E. Ross
    >> <http://www.rossde.com/>
    >>
    >> Natural foods can be harmful: Look at all the
    >> people who die of natural causes.

    No need to quote sigs, much less the full body of a post.

    > Why is everyone getting uptight about this?

    Why do you suppose?

    > Perhaps it is easier if you see the service I am providing my users and then
    > you will understand why it is not nessessary to have clutter like tool and
    > address bars
    > goto
    > http://www.iddsoftware.co.uk/announcer/announcermain.php
    > and then click the example to see the display

    Actually clicking the example (image) doesn't do anything. I have to click
    the "Click here" (where have I seen that before? ;-) ) to get the popup.

    At least you left me the X in the upper right so I can close the window.

    Pity you took away the scrollbars, though. How am I supposed to see the
    content past the right and lower edges?

    The "uptightness" is because snatching control from visitors is a rude
    thing to do. Discussed in c.i.w.a.h and even alt.html often. As
    publishers/developers we should have no reason to expect that visitors
    enjoy having their font-size or other usability preferences ignored or
    overruled. When a user thinks toolbars are "clutter", she can hide them.

    Also (and in the same vein): Markup and CSS are invalid in both main window
    and popup. You set text color and some BG colors, but not all BG colors.
    Text is too small. The box with "If you are having any difficulties with
    this service..." is hard to read because of the low contrast colors,
    worsened by the text size. Text is specified in px. Etc. All the usual
    things that get discussed here (c.i.w.a.h, a.html) regularly.

    But given that your "service" is to put distracting scrolling text and
    marquees on your (clients') users' screens, I can see why you might not
    care about whether they can control their windows. The service is obnoxious
    (whether you have customers for it or not), so its implementation might
    well be, too.

    In any case, you got your technical answer in the first reply.

    --
    John
    John Hosking, Dec 9, 2007
  8. mantrid wrote:
    > "David E. Ross" <> wrote in message
    >> On 12/9/2007 6:33 AM, mantrid wrote:
    >>> I use
    >>> <form action="screen.php" target="_blank" method="post"> and a submit

    > button
    >>> to open a new separate window which is simply a display screen. I

    > therefore
    >>> do not wish to have the address, tool and menu bars displayed. Can I do

    > this
    >>> from the
    >>> form script? or would I have to put some HTML script on the page that is

    >>> be opened. or is it only possible with java script?
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone offer a solution on how to do this?
    >>> [...]

    >> Do I understand you? You want to change how my browser appears and
    >> works after I put an effort into making it appear and work exactly the
    >> way I want it?
    >>
    >> You can't. I use SeaMonkey as my browser. I installed an extension
    >> that creates a non-standard toolbar that, if you suppress any of the
    >> standard bars, this bar will still remain. On this bar, I have a button
    >> that restores the other bars.
    >> [...]

    > Why is everyone getting uptight about this?

    Besides people being generally stupid, obnoxious or daft (remember the song?
    ;-)), several reasons come to mind:

    1. You have posted with a Subject that tells of removing something people
    like.

    2. You have crossposted to three newsgroups, and across two top-level
    hierarchies, without Followup-To, needlessly.

    3. Your question indicates that you have not done any, or at least not
    sufficient, research by yourself as what you are asking for is a FAQ
    (frequently asked question) that can be easily found with your favorite
    search engine.

    4. You wish to create a separate (popup) window which is generally frowned
    upon as it consumes more processing time and memory than usual Web
    navigation, and is counter-intuitive to it.

    Popups were also frequently used for ads before there were popup blockers
    that are now circumvented by ads in block-level elements. It is curious
    that although advertisement on the Web allow services there to remain for
    free or at least less expensive than without advertisement, they are
    generally frowned upon, myself included.

    5. You are using a well-known broken newsreader application and you don't
    know (yet) how to work around that properly (see above):

    http://insideoe.com/

    However, I recommend you use Mozilla Thunderbird or KNode instead.

    You also don't know (yet) how to quote properly:

    http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/clj_posts.html#ps1Post

    Therefore your postings are not as easily legible and consume more time
    and bandwidth of their readers than they need to. More information can
    be found here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

    > Perhaps it is easier if you see the service I am providing my users and then
    > you will understand why it is not nessessary to have clutter like tool and
    > address bars
    > goto
    > http://www.iddsoftware.co.uk/announcer/announcermain.php
    > and then click the example to see the display

    6. You have not posted this in the first place.

    The oft-posted solution is to assign an event listener for the `submit'
    event of the form, in which you attempt to create a window as you would
    like it to be and then submit to that window:

    <form action="..." target="formPopup" ...
    onsubmit="return handleSubmit(this);">
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function handleSubmit(f)
    {
    /*
    * Minimum allowed dimensions for the window,
    * and minimum features for accessibility; YMMV.
    */
    if (window.open("", f.target,
    "width=100,height=100,scrollbars,resizeable"));
    {
    f.submit();
    return false;
    }

    return true;
    }
    </script>

    <!-- the form content goes here -->
    </form>

    Note that there may be a race condition. To work around that is left as an
    exercise to the reader.

    That aside, if you still think that scrolling texts are a pretty neat idea,
    you really should do a quick search on the Web about news tickers and how
    and why they are actually hated by visitors.

    F'up2 comp.lang.javascript

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Dec 9, 2007
  9. mantrid

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:40:34
    GMT mantrid scribed:

    >> Do I understand you? You want to change how my browser appears and
    >> works after I put an effort into making it appear and work exactly
    >> the way I want it?
    >>
    >> You can't. I use SeaMonkey as my browser. I installed an extension
    >> that creates a non-standard toolbar that, if you suppress any of the
    >> standard bars, this bar will still remain. On this bar, I have a
    >> button that restores the other bars.

    > Why is everyone getting uptight about this?
    > Perhaps it is easier if you see the service I am providing my users
    > and then you will understand why it is not nessessary to have clutter
    > like tool and address bars
    > goto
    > http://www.iddsoftware.co.uk/announcer/announcermain.php
    > and then click the example to see the display

    Congratulations! You've broken the record with margin to spare! Five
    doctypes, head sections, etc., in the same document! Awesome!!!

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.
    Bone Ur, Dec 9, 2007
  10. mantrid

    The Magpie Guest

    mantrid wrote:

    > Why is everyone getting uptight about this?

    Basically, because you shouldn't do it.
    The Magpie, Dec 9, 2007
  11. In alt.html, Bone Ur wrote:

    > mantrid scribed:
    >> http://www.iddsoftware.co.uk/announcer/announcermain.php
    >> and then click the example to see the display

    > Congratulations! You've broken the record with margin to spare!
    > Five doctypes, head sections, etc., in the same document! Awesome!!!

    The odd part is there are only 97 errors... <heh>

    <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iddsoftware.co.uk%2Fannouncer%2Fannouncermain.php>
    This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Strict!
    Result: Failed validation, 97 Errors

    <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iddsoftware.co.uk%2Fannouncer%2Fannouncermain.php>
    Numerous CSS errors as well.

    The funny part is the ~10% who have JavaScript disabled or stripped by a
    corporate firewall will actually get a better deal, although they can't
    navigate to about half the site. <g>

    I love that ugly purple background color!

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 9, 2007
  12. mantrid

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:46:23
    GMT Beauregard T. Shagnasty scribed:

    >> Congratulations! You've broken the record with margin to spare!
    >> Five doctypes, head sections, etc., in the same document! Awesome!!!

    > The odd part is there are only 97 errors... <heh>
    >
    > <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.iddsoftwa
    > re.co.uk%2Fannouncer%2Fannouncermain.php> This page is not Valid HTML
    > 4.01 Strict! Result: Failed validation, 97 Errors
    >
    > <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&ur
    > i=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iddsoftware.co.uk%2Fannouncer%2Fannouncermain.php>
    > Numerous CSS errors as well.
    >
    > The funny part is the ~10% who have JavaScript disabled or stripped by
    > a corporate firewall will actually get a better deal, although they
    > can't navigate to about half the site. <g>
    >
    > I love that ugly purple background color!

    Purple's my favorite color. Or was.

    I must admit to some confusion, myself, however. What could be the
    rationale for 5 separate "headings"? -A "Pentagon" page? That might be
    neat if one is a warlike, militaristic pig, but I am in spirit a simple
    contentious objector. Anyway, it's Sunday, I'm sleepy and admittedly just
    fooling around to "hear" myself "talk". Good luck, OP; you probably need
    it.

    (Oddly, I was in the 97th Corps of Engineers during my halcyon Ghengis
    Kahn-mode days.)

    Bone Ur, Dec 9, 2007
  13. mantrid

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:39:56 GMT
    The Magpie scribed:

    > mantrid wrote:
    >>
    >> Why is everyone getting uptight about this?
    >>

    > Basically, because you shouldn't do it.

    Speaking of words, "Never have so few meant so much to so many".

    - Winnie The Churchmouse

    Bone Ur, Dec 9, 2007
  14. On 12/9/2007 11:40 AM, mantrid wrote [in part]:

    > Why is everyone getting uptight about this?

    If you have set a font-size too small for my 66-year-old eyes, I need my
    menu bar to change the size.

    If you have used a color combination that makes the page unreadable for
    my color-blind brother and two cousins (grandpa was color-blind), they
    need the toolbar to use their own default colors.

    If I see something on the page that piques my interest and I want to
    search further, I need my toolbar to launch a new tab in which to do the
    search.

    Let me and all the other users determine what user interfaces we want
    for our browsing experience. Sometimes, what we want is necessary
    merely to access the Web.

    David E. Ross, Dec 10, 2007
  15. In comp.lang.javascript, alt.html, comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
    message <>, Sun, 9 Dec 2007 21:23:45,
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <> posted:

    >2. You have crossposted to three newsgroups, and across two top-level
    > hierarchies, without Followup-To,

    That is perfectly legitimate. You are a control freak with peculiar
    ideas. Consult a reputable psychiatrist.

    --
    (c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. replyYYWW merlyn demon co uk Turnpike 6.05.
    No Encoding. Quotes precede replies. Snip well. Write clearly. Mail no News.
    Dr J R Stockton, Dec 10, 2007
  16. mantrid

    > On 12/9/2007 11:40 AM, mantrid wrote [in part]:
    > >
    > > Why is everyone getting uptight about this?

    > If you have set a font-size too small for my 66-year-old eyes, I need my
    > menu bar to change the size.

    Its all done on the admin screen along with fore and back colours, mastheads
    and everything else. This is simply an example

    > If you have used a color combination that makes the page unreadable for
    > my color-blind brother and two cousins (grandpa was color-blind), they
    > need the toolbar to use their own default colors.

    Its all done on the admin screen along with fore and back colours, mastheads
    and everything else. This is simply an example

    > If I see something on the page that piques my interest and I want to
    > search further, I need my toolbar to launch a new tab in which to do the
    > search.

    The notice board is simply a display foe messages it is a separate window to
    the rest of the site which remains open behind. Besides the noticeboard
    simply remains open on the monitor, in a staffroom, reception, office ettc.
    The administrator can do any manipulation from their own desktop pc. without
    having to pop down to the communal area where the display is. People who
    view the screen do just that they simply do not need to manipulate the
    window in any way

    > Let me and all the other users determine what user interfaces we want
    > for our browsing experience. Sometimes, what we want is necessary
    > merely to access the Web.

    The design is based on user feedback. I am simply changing this service
    everytime enough users suggest something. Im just giving them what they
    want. Hope this is clearer. What I really dont need is arragant snide
    comments about my coding abilities. I am actually a science teacher this is
    a hobby for me. How good are you on genetics or microbiology?
    Constructive critisism and useful tips appreciated anyone else dont waste
    your time posting.
    mantrid, Dec 10, 2007
  17. Dr J R Stockton wrote:
    > In comp.lang.javascript, alt.html, comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
    > message <>, Sun, 9 Dec 2007 21:23:45,
    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <> posted:
    >> 2. You have crossposted to three newsgroups, and across two top-level
    >> hierarchies, without Followup-To,

    > That is perfectly legitimate. You are a control freak with peculiar
    > ideas. Consult a reputable psychiatrist.

    Agree, "Major Redirect" here has caught me not noticing the change in
    follow-ups on more than one occasion.

    Actually I find it really more confusing when a thread "appears"
    suddenly mid-discussion without any context in a NG. Yes, it is okay to
    truncate the list, but sometimes this guy follow-ups to different NGs. I
    feel if the subject is OT better to just announce that alt.xxxxx would
    be a better place to start a *new* thread on this topic...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 10, 2007
  18. mantrid

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:46:10
    GMT mantrid scribed:

    >> Let me and all the other users determine what user interfaces we want
    >> for our browsing experience. Sometimes, what we want is necessary
    >> merely to access the Web.

    > The design is based on user feedback. I am simply changing this
    > service everytime enough users suggest something. Im just giving them
    > what they want. Hope this is clearer. What I really dont need is
    > arragant snide comments about my coding abilities. I am actually a
    > science teacher this is a hobby for me. How good are you on genetics
    > or microbiology? Constructive critisism and useful tips appreciated
    > anyone else dont waste your time posting.

    If you're a teacher, how come your spelling and grammar suck? Furthermore,
    the "giving them what they want" line is a favorite misdirection of illogic
    often used by sneaks and tyrants. Ross is right, and the odds exceed those
    of the double recessive that you're a fibber to boot.

    How's that for constructive?

    Bone Ur, Dec 10, 2007
  19. mantrid

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9A02926FAD920boneurhyphe@85.214.90.236>,
    Bone Ur <> wrote:

    > ...the odds exceed those
    > of the double recessive that you're a fibber to boot.
    >
    > How's that for constructive?

    Reminds me of the scene in A Perfect Murder in the train when
    Michael Douglas kills Viggo Mortensen, whom he had hired to kill
    his own wife, Gwyneth Paltrow.

    Viggo Mortensen had earlier criticised Douglas for not being
    prepared to kill his own wife because he could not stomach the
    "wet work".

    As Douglas stabs Mortensen, he says something like: "How's that
    for wet work!"

    (Yeah I know, you probably haven't seen it... It is a remake of
    the classic Dial M for Murder with Ray Milland and Grace Kelly.
    Grace Kelly not only survived as did Paltrow, but went on to be a
    princess in Europe)

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 10, 2007
  20. mantrid

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 10 Dec 2007 21:44:12 GMT
    dorayme scribed:

    >> ...the odds exceed those
    >> of the double recessive that you're a fibber to boot.
    >>
    >> How's that for constructive?

    > Reminds me of the scene in A Perfect Murder in the train when
    > Michael Douglas kills Viggo Mortensen, whom he had hired to kill
    > his own wife, Gwyneth Paltrow.
    >
    > Viggo Mortensen had earlier criticised Douglas for not being
    > prepared to kill his own wife because he could not stomach the
    > "wet work".
    >
    > As Douglas stabs Mortensen, he says something like: "How's that
    > for wet work!"
    >
    > (Yeah I know, you probably haven't seen it... It is a remake of
    > the classic Dial M for Murder with Ray Milland and Grace Kelly.
    > Grace Kelly not only survived as did Paltrow, but went on to be a
    > princess in Europe)

    Nope, don't recollect seeing it. Might want to, though; the cast sounds
    interesting. And, of course, wife-killing has its own integral appeal.

    Bone Ur, Dec 11, 2007