Removing HttpHandler in SubWeb

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Olbert, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Mark Olbert

    Mark Olbert Guest

    I have a subweb (marked as an application in IIS) that I do >>not<< want to utilize an httpHandler
    defined in the parent web.

    According to the documentation, I should be able to do this by putting the following directive in
    the subweb's web.config file:

    <httpHandlers>
    <remove verb="*" path="*.scef" />
    </httpHandlers>

    But that doesn't work unless you first make the parent web's application dll -- where the handler is
    defined -- available to the subweb (I did this by copying the parent dll into the subweb's bin
    directory...which is stupid, but it works).

    I've seen reference to this being a known bug in ASP.NET.

    I'd like confirmation that this is a known bug. I'd also appreciate hearing if there are any other
    workarounds other than the one I stumbled across.

    - Mark
    Mark Olbert, Jul 20, 2004

  2. "Mark Olbert" <> wrote in message
    > I have a subweb (marked as an application in IIS) that I do >>not<< want

    to utilize an httpHandler
    > defined in the parent web.
    >
    > According to the documentation, I should be able to do this by putting the

    following directive in
    > the subweb's web.config file:
    >
    > <httpHandlers>
    > <remove verb="*" path="*.scef" />
    > </httpHandlers>
    >
    > But that doesn't work unless you first make the parent web's application

    dll -- where the handler is
    > defined -- available to the subweb (I did this by copying the parent dll

    into the subweb's bin
    > directory...which is stupid, but it works).
    >
    > I've seen reference to this being a known bug in ASP.NET.
    >
    > I'd like confirmation that this is a known bug. I'd also appreciate

    hearing if there are any other
    > workarounds other than the one I stumbled across.

    Yes, this is a known misfeature, and you've found the workaround.

    The only other thing to add is that you only need an assembly with the same
    name as the one in the superweb; you don't need a copy of the actual
    assembly.
    --
    John Saunders
    johnwsaundersiii at hotmail
    John Saunders, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Mark Olbert

    Mark Olbert Guest

    >The only other thing to add is that you only need an assembly with the same
    >name as the one in the superweb; you don't need a copy of the actual
    >assembly.

    That's important in this case 'cause the superweb's assembly is quite large.

    Thanx for the info!

    - Mark

    p.s. to Microsoft -- Shame on you for shipping a product with this kind of bug in it, and further
    shame on you for not fixing it after several years of presence in the market! Sheesh, it almost
    looks like you're a monopoly or something, and thus see no need to be responsive to customer
    problems.
    Mark Olbert, Jul 20, 2004