    turn them into a Wiki page, or use bits of them for marketing material,
    please do it now.

    --amk
    A.M. Kuchling, Aug 21, 2003

  2. A.M. Kuchling

    Gary Feldman Guest

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:51:30 -0500, "A.M. Kuchling" <> wrote:

    >python.org has a page of "Python vs. X" language comparisons at
    ><http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html>.

    >I'm planning to drop this page from python.org because it's so outdated and

    If it weren't for the Python vs. Perl papers, I'd still be using Perl.

    I suggest simply creating an "Archive" section near the bottom of the page,
    and moving any links whose contents you know to be wrong to that section.
    But please, please don't remove the page altogether. Most comparision
    issues simply aren't going to change, so the articles just get old, not
    outdated.

    Gary
    Gary Feldman, Aug 21, 2003

  3. A.M. Kuchling

    Duncan Booth Guest

    "A.M. Kuchling" <> wrote in

    > python.org has a page of "Python vs. X" language comparisons at
    ><http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html>. They're all pretty
    >outdated,
    > and often unfair because they're written by a person who knows Python
    > well but has only a nodding acquaintance with language X.

    How about getting some new articles to be written by pairs of people, one
    Python user who knows a bit of the other language and one person who lives
    and breathes Perl/Java/Ruby/etc but knows a bit of Python? That way you
    might end up with some genuinely objective comparisons showing both sides
    of the fence.

    --
    Duncan Booth
    Duncan Booth, Aug 21, 2003
  4. On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:43:59 GMT,
    > But please, please don't remove the page altogether. Most comparision
    > issues simply aren't going to change, so the articles just get old, not
    > outdated.

    But comparison issues do change over time, e.g. the Python/Scheme comparison
    at http://www.python.org/doc/pythonVSscheme.html says Python uses only
    refcounting GC, and claims the Python and Jython implementations are
    explicitly synchronized. Java performance numbers cited are for JDK 1.1.7,
    Python performance numbers are for 1.5.2, and so forth.

    --amk
    A.M. Kuchling, Aug 21, 2003
  5. Duncan> How about getting some new articles to be written by pairs of
    Duncan> people, one Python user who knows a bit of the other language
    Duncan> and one person who lives and breathes Perl/Java/Ruby/etc but
    Duncan> knows a bit of Python?

    Did I just hear you volunteer to head up the effort? ;-)

    Skip
    Skip Montanaro, Aug 21, 2003
  6. A.M. Kuchling

    Gary Feldman Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:16:16 -0500, "A.M. Kuchling" <> wrote:

    >But comparison issues do change over time, e.g. the Python/Scheme comparison
    >at http://www.python.org/doc/pythonVSscheme.html says Python uses only
    >refcounting GC, and claims the Python and Jython implementations are
    >explicitly synchronized. Java performance numbers cited are for JDK 1.1.7,
    >Python performance numbers are for 1.5.2, and so forth.

    Of course, those aren't language comparisons. They're implementation
    comparisons. And sure, some language issues do change, but most of the
    fundamentals don't. Perl will always have funky character prefixes, Java
    will always have static typing, etc.

    Gary
    Gary Feldman, Aug 21, 2003
  7. A.M. Kuchling

    Mike Rovner Guest

    A.M. Kuchling wrote:
    > python.org has a page of "Python vs. X" language comparisons at
    > <http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html>. They're all pretty
    > outdated, and often unfair because they're written by a person who
    > knows Python well but has only a nodding acquaintance with language X.
    >
    > I'm planning to drop this page from python.org because it's so
    > outdated and no one is around to maintain it. If anyone wants to
    > grab the contents and turn them into a Wiki page, or use bits of them
    > for marketing material, please do it now.

    Done.

    See http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonLanguageComparisons

    Mike
    Mike Rovner, Aug 21, 2003
  8. "A.M. Kuchling" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:07:33 +0000 (UTC),
    > Duncan Booth <> wrote:
    > > How about getting some new articles to be written by pairs of people,

    one
    > > Python user who knows a bit of the other language and one person who

    lives
    > > and breathes Perl/Java/Ruby/etc but knows a bit of Python? That way you

    > A good idea, but unless some volunteer steps forward to do the work, it's
    > not going to happen.

    A lot of the documentation I am putting together for the vb2Py project is
    easily reworkable into a comparison of Python and Visual Basic. I don't mind
    spending some time on that if people think it is of value.

    Paul
    Paul Paterson, Aug 22, 2003