removing procmail garbage

surfergirl

How can I use perl to remove garbage in my mailbox
caused by my procmail filter. This is a known problem
but it occurs too frequently and I certainly don't want
to give up procmail. What I get is a false message
like this:

From foo@bar Tue Nov 14 21:26:34 2006

so I need a one-line perl script to remove the line(s)
from my inbox before I read mail as in:

cat $inbox |perl -pi -e 's/^From foo@bar//g'

However, that will not work since sometimes the
"^From " line could be followed by a "Status:" or other lines.
Thus, the removal must do a range as in awk ala:

cat $inbox |awk '/^From foo@bar/,/^$/' {next} 1

This however does not work for me either and I'm not sure why
other than my awk being from Solaris 7.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Gibson

From foo@bar Tue Nov 14 21:26:34 2006

so I need a one-line perl script to remove the line(s)
from my inbox before I read mail as in:

cat $inbox |perl -pi -e 's/^From foo@bar//g'

However, that will not work since sometimes the
"^From " line could be followed by a "Status:" or other lines.
Thus, the removal must do a range as in awk ala:

cat $inbox |awk '/^From foo@bar/,/^$/' {next} 1

This however does not work for me either and I'm not sure why
other than my awk being from Solaris 7.

I am not familiar with awk operations, so cannot be sure, but you might
be able to use the Perl 'flip-flop' operator (e.g., /^From/ .. /^$/).
See 'perldoc perlop' and search for 'Range Operators'.

FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future.