Removing wild characters from a string

SatishPasala

hi

I am tring to remove all the wild characters from a string. Is there
any short method to remove them in a single go.

I am right now tring to replace one by one.

Ex (999) 999-9999

I need 9999999999 with out all the charecters and spaces. I am trying
eliminate one by one now.

If you have any other ideas please post it

Thank You,
Satish

Marina

I don't know if this is the best solution, but you can loop through
character by character, examine each one, and if it is a digit, add it to a
brand new string. After you are done, the new string will have only the
digits.

Jeff

Learn Regular Expressions. They can be used for updating strings as well as
searching...

You can accomplish in just a couple of lines of code (with Regular
Expressions) what would otherwise require many many lines of code in a
looping approach that builds a new string from the old OR uses
StringBuilder...

-HTH

Guest

From the server-side add on top of the codebehind:
using System.Text.RegularExpressions;

Then in the body of the function

//a pattern to find non word characters
Regex re = new Regex ("[^\\w]+");
//replace the matched pattern
Response.Write (re.Replace("(99)@3-87-9%!~(9175)", ""));
//should print 9938799175

If you are doing it using Javascript on the client-side:
alert("(99)@3-87-9%!~(9175)".replace(/[^\w]+/g,""));

SatishPasala

The regular expression worked really good. thank Phillip

Thank you guys for the help.
satish