Renaming of files in OS directory

blur959

Hi, all, I am writing a program that renames files inside OS
directories the user provides. I am at the early stage of writing it
and I encountered some problems.

Below is my code. There is an error i received when i run this code.
The error is, WindowsError: [Error 123] The filename, directory name,
or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Hope you guys could help.

import os, glob

def fileDirectory():
#Asks the user for a file root directory
fileroot = raw_input("Please input the file root directory \n\n")
print fileroot

#Returns a list with all the files inside the file root directory
os.listdir(fileroot)

fileDirectory()

Chris Rebert

Hi, all, I am writing a program that renames files inside OS
directories the user provides. I am at the early stage of writing it
and I encountered some problems.

Below is my code. There is an error i received when i run this code.
The error is, WindowsError: [Error 123] The filename, directory name,
or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Well, what directory did you input? Apparently it wasn't a valid or extant one.

Cheers,
Chris

blur959

Hi, all, I am writing a program that renames files inside OS
directories the user provides. I am at the early stage of writing it
and I encountered some problems.
Below is my code. There is an error i received when i run this code.
The error is, WindowsError: [Error 123] The filename, directory name,
or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Well, what directory did you input? Apparently it wasn't a valid or extant one.

Cheers,
Chris
--http://blog.rebertia.com

I input for e.g, "C:" it works, basically, if i input a hard code
string inside os.listdir it works, but if i stored the string that the
user keyed inside a variable and run os.listdir with the variable,
there is that error. But inputing hard code string inside os.listdir
isn't what I want when I am writing this program.

Thomas Jollans

Hi, all, I am writing a program that renames files inside OS
directories the user provides. I am at the early stage of writing it
and I encountered some problems.
Below is my code. There is an error i received when i run this code.
The error is, WindowsError: [Error 123] The filename, directory name,
or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Well, what directory did you input? Apparently it wasn't a valid or extant one.

Cheers,
Chris
--http://blog.rebertia.com

I input for e.g, "C:" it works, basically, if i input a hard code
string inside os.listdir it works, but if i stored the string that the
user keyed inside a variable and run os.listdir with the variable,
there is that error. But inputing hard code string inside os.listdir
isn't what I want when I am writing this program.

You didn't answert the question. What is the actual string you pass to
os.listdir after you got it from the user? You could
print repr(fileroot)
to find out.

My tentative guess is that maybe Windows doesn't like newlines in file
names (I know UNIX allows them, but they're still usually a bad idea)
and maybe you string ends with a newline.

[...]

I do not get what you mean. The string i passed in is stored inside
the variable fileroot. In the case I tested, i inputed the string "C:
\" inside the raw_input and stored it inside fileroot, I tried
printing repr(fileroot) and it gave me "C:\" as the result and when i
tried running os.listdir(fileroot) i got the error. The string i
passed to os.listdir is the string i keyed inside fileroot under the
raw_input?

Thomas Jollans

[...]

You are passing a string to os.listdir. (you call that string fileroot).
There is probably something wrong with that string. In principle, it
doesn't matter where you got the string from - with raw_input() or by
hard-coding the string.

repr(fileroot) is almost certainly not "C:\" -- that is not a valid
string literal.

What did you enter exactly?

-- Thomas

blur959

On 08/08/2010 10:35 AM, blur959 wrote:
[...]

Sorry, This is my first time using the os commands in python, Ok,
firstly, I entered "C:\" inside raw_input and stored it inside
fileroot. When i print repr(fileroot), my result was '"C:\\"' . And
when I run os.listdir with fileroot, I got that error. I typed my
os.listdir code like this: os.listdir(fileroot)

I attached my code for reference, thanks again!

import os, glob

def fileDirectory():
# Ask user for file directory input
fileroot = raw_input("Input")
print repr(fileroot)

#Returns a list with all the files inside the file root
directory( The error occurs here )
os.listdir(fileroot)

fileDirectory()

Thomas Jollans

Sorry, This is my first time using the os commands in python, Ok,
firstly, I entered "C:\" inside raw_input and stored it inside
fileroot. When i print repr(fileroot), my result was '"C:\\"' . And
when I run os.listdir with fileroot, I got that error. I typed my
os.listdir code like this: os.listdir(fileroot)

I attached my code for reference, thanks again!

Okay, maybe you've already understood the problem now, but in case you
haven't:
'"C:\\"' is no valid file name. The quotes ("") are part of what you're
passing to the OS here, which you don't want. Just enter the file name
without quotes. (or, if you really want quoting for some reason, you
could manually strip the quotes, or use the shlex module.

blur959

Okay, maybe you've already understood the problem now, but in case you
haven't:
'"C:\\"' is no valid file name. The quotes ("") are part of what you're
passing to the OS here, which you don't want. Just enter the file name
without quotes. (or, if you really want quoting for some reason, you
could manually strip the quotes, or use the shlex module.

okay i got it already thanks alot man! Appreciate it!