Renaming of webpages and links

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Deryck, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. Deryck

    Deryck Guest

    A friend of mine has just inherited a website to overhaul. It needs to be
    migrated from a Windows server to a *nix one first. Trouble is, the previous
    webmaster has used mixed case file names and links and been very
    inconsistent about it.

    Consequently there will be a lot of broken links amongst the 20,000 (yes
    this is a static html to CMS conversion project) files.

    Writing a perl script to just rename files to entirely lower case might not
    be so hard but fixing the links in the HTML would be a bit tougher.

    Surely someone else has met this problem before and written a bit of code to
    do this?

    If anyone has a neat solution for this that does not involve manually
    renaming and editing files it would be absolutely fabulous to be told of it.

    Cheers

    Deryck
    Deryck, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Deryck

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Deryck wrote:

    > A friend of mine has just inherited a website to overhaul. It needs to be
    > migrated from a Windows server to a *nix one first. Trouble is, the previous
    > webmaster has used mixed case file names and links and been very
    > inconsistent about it.

    Look into mod_speling.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Deryck

    Mitja Guest

    Deryck wrote:
    > the previous webmaster
    > has used mixed case file names and links and been very
    > inconsistent about it.
    >
    > Consequently there will be a lot of broken links amongst
    > the 20,000 (yes this is a static html to CMS conversion
    > project) files.

    If you're going to the trouble of a whole CMS, then creating a wee tiny script with a single regular expression shouldn't be too big
    a problem, surely?
    Mitja, Oct 13, 2004
  4. Deryck

    Deryck Guest

    "Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Deryck wrote:
    >
    >> A friend of mine has just inherited a website to overhaul. It needs to be
    >> migrated from a Windows server to a *nix one first. Trouble is, the
    >> previous
    >> webmaster has used mixed case file names and links and been very
    >> inconsistent about it.

    > Look into mod_speling.

    Thanks Toby. We were just starting to look at the possibility of doing
    something with apache (like apache calling a perl script which we'd write).
    This looks like it might save us the job.

    Cheers mate.

    Deryck
    Deryck, Oct 13, 2004