Renaming of webpages and links

Deryck

A friend of mine has just inherited a website to overhaul. It needs to be
migrated from a Windows server to a *nix one first. Trouble is, the previous
webmaster has used mixed case file names and links and been very
inconsistent about it.

Consequently there will be a lot of broken links amongst the 20,000 (yes
this is a static html to CMS conversion project) files.

Writing a perl script to just rename files to entirely lower case might not
be so hard but fixing the links in the HTML would be a bit tougher.

Surely someone else has met this problem before and written a bit of code to
do this?

If anyone has a neat solution for this that does not involve manually
renaming and editing files it would be absolutely fabulous to be told of it.

Cheers

Deryck

Toby Inkster

Deryck said:
A friend of mine has just inherited a website to overhaul. It needs to be
migrated from a Windows server to a *nix one first. Trouble is, the previous
webmaster has used mixed case file names and links and been very
inconsistent about it.

Look into mod_speling.

Mitja

Deryck said:
the previous webmaster
has used mixed case file names and links and been very
inconsistent about it.

Consequently there will be a lot of broken links amongst
the 20,000 (yes this is a static html to CMS conversion
project) files.

If you're going to the trouble of a whole CMS, then creating a wee tiny script with a single regular expression shouldn't be too big
a problem, surely?

Deryck

Toby Inkster said:
Look into mod_speling.
Thanks Toby. We were just starting to look at the possibility of doing
something with apache (like apache calling a perl script which we'd write).
This looks like it might save us the job.

Cheers mate.

Deryck