Rendering a datagrid as many subgrids?

Guest

Hi,

I have an asp.net application where I calculate things and show the result
in a datagrid object. The grid needs 21 columns to show all information
needed for persons to understand the whole picture. This in turn gets me into
BIG trouble.

To show a grid with 21 columns and at least 10 pixels text demands a monitor
with at least 1600 * 1200 resolution. Most of my customers have 1024 * 768
resolution, they claime if the had to go further up, they wouldn't sse
anything on the screen. Too small.

So if I could divide the 21 colum grid into two 11 column grids it would be
the ultimate challenge for me, it would resolve all my problems.

Because we don't have much space here I'd like to give you a very tiny
example:

M col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 col6
1 item 1.1 item 1.2 item 1.3 item 1.4 item 1.5 item 1.6
1 item 2.1 item 2.2 item 2.3 item 2.4 item 2.5 item 2.6
2 item 3.1 item 3.2 item 3.3 item 3.4 item 3.5 item 3.6

The above replace the 21 column grid
Depending on the value in col "M" I'd like the grid to render in the
following

M col1 col2 col3
1 item 1.1 item 1.2 item 1.3
1 item 2.1 item 2.2 item 2.3
col 4 col 5 col 6
2 item 3.1 item 3.2 item 3.3

The above replace the 11 grid when M=1 and when M=2
and this guarantees that an enduser can see everything on his monitor in
1024 * 768 resolution, not to mention a paper report, that on a standing A4
would require 6 pixel text on a landscape and I don't think it would fit with
6 pixels on one page.

I've tried to solve this by doing some drill down thinking after I read an
asp.net article with code where this worked out just nice, the only problem
was it showed related info from another table, as it should.

So, dear readers of this thread. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

I've made a test application just for you, dear readers, on one of my
testsites with my failure drill down report. There you can see how a real
life example with substituted column names shows the problem in a nutshell.
Feel free to ask questions about it.

Put this link into your URL
http://www.surf2us.net/tests/dgrd/testdd.aspx

Regards,
Kenneth P

Eliyahu Goldin

Kenneth,

I think 21 column for a grid is too much even if you split it into several
rows. Would you consider a solution when you have a grid with just few most
important column and provide a panel where you would show all record fields
in a convenient form-style way? When you click a grid row, the panel is
populated with the row data. Now, you can do everything on client side if
you make the grid to have all record data as invisible columns and write
some javascripts that will transfer the columns content to the detail panel
in the grid's onclick event.

Eliyahu

Guest

Hi Eliyahu,

I'm intrerested in any solution that satisfies my clients, I've set up that
they need 21 columns but they migth not want it, I've not asked them yet, I'm
looking for solutions.

You can develop your thougts further on and let me see more exactly what you
have in mind.

Did you take a look at the link I suggested?

Anyway I saw some errors in my second testgrid. It should have been:

M col1 col2 col3
1 item 1.1 item 1.2 item 1.3
1 item 2.1 item 2.2 item 2.3
col 4 col 5 col 6
2 item 3.4 item 3.5 item 3.6

Regards,
Kenneth P

Eliyahu Goldin

My OutlookExpress shows an attachment attached to my previous post. Do you
want me to email it to you? To what address?

Eliyahu

Guest

Hi again,

Yeah, why not?

You'll get one of my e-mail addresses, not the one I use at home, because of
security reasons.

(e-mail address removed)

Regards,
Kenneth P

Guest

Hi again,

Hmmm.... looks interesting.

Why didn't I think of this solution? Clicking on a datarow in a datagrid to
get the details and present them on a Panel ctrl with subctrls.

Tell me more about it! I've seen it earlier but can't remember where.

This is good for having a very few columns in a grid and showing the details
on another area. How did you think of reporting to the printer?

Regards,
Kenneth P

Eliyahu Goldin

Well, I think it's a sort of standard approach, that's why you could see
something similar elsewhere. As I said before, this makes sense if you pass
all data with the grid in hidden columns and then handle row click events to
copy row data to detail area. In this way reaction to row clicks is instant.

You would need a separate form for printing.

Eliyahu