rendering fonts with ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Cullam Bruce-lockhart, Jan 14, 2011.

  1. Hey gang.

    I'm re-writing a tool to read .ttf files, and translate them into the
    needed bitmaps for their glyphs. (The tool I've got for this now is
    written in C++, and VERY poorly designed). For the re-write, I'd like to
    use Ruby. But I'm having some trouble finding existing tools to actually
    read the font files, and translate them into the bitmaps. In the C++
    version, freetype is used for these steps. However, all versions of
    freetype I've been able to find with Ruby are in alpha, and haven't been
    updated in several years. There are no gems for them, and the simple
    install instructions don't seem to do much of anything. I have found
    absolutely no discussion on-line about how to get them working, and
    there is little to no documentation.

    So essentially, I have two questions: Has anybody out there used an
    existing freetype binding for Ruby, and knows a) how to get them working
    and b) how well they actually do work?
    Or alternatively, are there any other extensions for ruby that can
    create glyph images by reading information from a .ttf file? I've done a
    fair bit of googling on this, but haven't been able to find much of use,
    so I figure it's time to ask the internet! Thanks a lot for the help.
    -cullam

    Cullam Bruce-lockhart, Jan 14, 2011

  2. Hi Cullam,

    did you take a look at the pango binding ? I think it does what you
    want, but you'll have to try it out.

    http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Ruby/Pango

    Jonas Pfenniger (zimbatm), Jan 16, 2011

  3. Cullam Bruce-lockhart

    Josef P. Guest

    Cullam Bruce-lockhart wrote in post #974925:
    > Hey gang.
    >
    > I'm re-writing a tool to read .ttf files, and translate them into the
    > needed bitmaps for their glyphs.

    Hello, just wanted to ask if you get somewhere with this? I need the
    same thing and also google was not able to answer my needs.

    Pepe

    Josef P., Mar 17, 2011