Rendering HTML

Cobus Lombard

Hi all

I need to create an ASP.NET control that will allow me to do an HttpRequest,
parse the HTML and then render it in a thumbnail (sorta like a preview of a
site without browsing to it).

Managed code would be ideal, but after struggling to find help on doing this
in C#, I'm starting to doubt whether this can be done without the WebBrowser
Control or mshtml.dll.

Any help, tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Cobus

George Ter-Saakov

I think it's too hard to render HTML yourself.

Here are the steps i think will work,
1. Use WebBrowser control to navigate to site
2. Send WM_PRINT to the control so it will render itself on your HDC
3. Save it as a bitmap.

George.

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

There are a few third-party controls that provide this functionality, but I
think most of them basically just use MSHTML on the backend.

Writing a HTML Layout engine, in any language, is a nontrivial feat.

--
Thanks,

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager