Rendering very large images with JAI

meta.person

Hi,

I need to render very large diagrams with geospatilal data (up to 256
MPix and probably larger), break them to small tiles (stored on disk)
and feed tiles to web-server (actually this rendering should be
automated).
It's known that Java vitual machine poorly works with native OS swap
mechanics and currently I have a plan to render these diagrams by
2048x2048 pieces which then will be broken to tiles (quick and dirty
solution, but there are known performance related issues).
Also I had read that JAI allows to work with large images on its own
manner. Is it possible to create custom swapping mechanism for large
in memory images, or probably there are ready solutions?

Thanks.

John B. Matthews

(e-mail address removed) wrote:
[...]
I need to render very large diagrams with geospatilal data (up to 256
MPix and probably larger), break them to small tiles (stored on disk)
and feed tiles to web-server (actually this rendering should be
automated). It's known that Java vitual machine poorly works with
native OS swap mechanics and currently I have a plan to render these
diagrams by 2048x2048 pieces which then will be broken to tiles
(quick and dirty solution, but there are known performance related
issues). Also I had read that JAI allows to work with large images on
its own manner. Is it possible to create custom swapping mechanism
for large in memory images, or probably there are ready solutions?

At least one company uses JAI in this context:

<http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/success/lmco.html>

I'm sure there are others. GIYF

Lew

It's known that Java vitual machine poorly works with native OS swap
mechanics

Will you provide links to information about this claim? I have read
quite a few articles and books about Java, but I have apparently
missed those that discuss this matter.

What exactly do you mean by works "poorly" and by "swap mechanics"?