    Is ELance much better than Rent-A-Coder? I am hesitant to give ELance a try
    because you have to pay for it - and Rent-A-Coder is not "overly
    profitable". Is ELance worth the money?

    michaaal, Jul 28, 2004

  2. I have yet to find ANY of these services that are profitable. Guru.com has
    been the best for me, thus far, as I get regular updates on projects. Most
    of these sites get people looking for people to build them highly profitable
    sites for very low dollars. When I see a "build me a CRM" for $1000 or less,
    I know that I am not interested. Just my two cents.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP], Jul 28, 2004

  3. michaaal

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:14:02 -0500, "michaaal" <>
    wrote:

    >Is ELance much better than Rent-A-Coder? I am hesitant to give ELance a try
    >because you have to pay for it - and Rent-A-Coder is not "overly
    >profitable". Is ELance worth the money?

    I'm not sure either is valuable to most programmers, since they do a
    poor job of weeding out the requests like:

    "I want to develop an online store with the capabilities of
    Amazon.com, where I'll lease space to vendors. I envision about 3,000
    vendors, each with up to 20,000 products. I have a budget of about
    $300 for the code work and graphics, and need it to run on Microsoft
    Access 97."

    If they provided qualified, or at least realistic, leads maybe they'd
    be worth paying for.

    There are others out there as well, though I'm not sure they're much
    better, a decent set of samples on your own web site might gte you
    about as far.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jul 28, 2004
  4. You should google alt.computer.consultants.moderated for this, and/or post
    your inquiry to that ng. The topic comes up now and again.

    I wrote a rather scathing assessment of these services for Contract
    Professional about 8 years ago when they started appearing, and it seems
    that they have only gotten worse in light of what has gone on in the
    industry since then. My opinion of all of those services is they're just
    shy of being MLM or Ponzi schemes.

    The ones that want you to buy-in invariably refuse to give you any hard
    evidence of satisfaction of other members (i.e., names and phone numbers of
    people you can verify in the phonebook or on the web and contact as a
    reference), which in and of itself sends up a big ole red flag. If they're
    successful at getting gigs for their members, they should be crowing about
    it, not hiding behind "confidentiality" to get you to ante-up the initiation
    fees to find out anything about how they really operate. The "free" ones
    are about as useful as having a luddite build a car for you. All of them
    have just about zero ability to screen reqs: Sure, you may get "tons of
    reqs" but for absolutely off-the-wall stuff like Jeff Cochran related. They
    may appeal to absolute beginners and offshore drones who think $2 a day is a
    king's ransom cream like it's their first time, but they are way off in some
    alternate reality when it comes to dealing with experienced US talent.

    If you have the fortitude and resources to do your own
    networking/marketing/promotion, do so and steer clear of all middlemen. If
    you aren't ready to, or can't, do it yourself, then you may have marginally
    better luck using a bodyshop (if you don't mind being treated like cannon
    fodder).

    Alan

    J. Alan Rueckgauer, Jul 29, 2004
  5. Yeah. I will pay you $300 to make myself millions. I find that is pretty
    much the norm there.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP], Jul 30, 2004