Repaint my whole layout for a caret???

Patrick Meuser

I am working on an HTML editor that has embedded splitter panels and panels
in JDK1.1. Most of the user interface was developed from the ground up as a
frameworks of sorts that incorporates double buffering.. Anyway, I'm trying
to implement a caret in the editor panel which lives in a splitter pane in a
splitter pane. The caret exists as a thread with a reference to any JDK1.1
component, fine.. The component contains the caret and the caret
invalidates the component in which it lives, however my running logs
indicate that every component in the embedded splitters are repainted
(including a tree and properties view)..

Does anyone know a quick way to disable this annoying behaviour? I mean if
I invalidate the editor pane with the caret in it, the clip is set for that
panel, yet the repaint seems to affect the entire layout up to the frame
window, this affects the refresh times a great deal more than I had planned
and seems to slow down text entry accordingly..

Any help is appreciated..

Patrick Meuser