repeating headers of table

Discussion in 'HTML' started by serge desmedt, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    When using the following HTML, i do not ghet repeatinh headers in the print
    preview of internet explorer 6.0

    <head>
    <title>Untitled</title>
    </head>

    <tbody>
    <!-- repeat this a lot so the body spans multiple pages-->
    </tbody>

    When i look on the internet i should have repeating headers.

    What am i doing wrong?

    Serge Desmedt

    serge desmedt, Jun 3, 2004

  2. serge desmedt

    rf Guest

    "serge desmedt" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > When using the following HTML, i do not ghet repeatinh headers in the

    print
    > preview of internet explorer 6.0

    <snip html>

    > When i look on the internet i should have repeating headers.
    >
    > What am i doing wrong?

    Using IE, which does not support table headers correctly.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 3, 2004

  3. "serge desmedt" <> wrote:

    > When using the following HTML, i do not ghet repeatinh headers in the
    > print preview of internet explorer 6.0

    IE just doesn't do it. Try Mozilla.

    I don't think there's a way to make it repeating on each line on IE 6.
    You might copy the row itself so that it occurs at different places in
    markup (e.g., after every 42 rows) and use CSS to suggest a page break
    right. The main problem is that it depends on paper size, font size,
    etc., how many rows actually fit on one page. Especially if e.g. only 40
    rows fit, the result is awful.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 3, 2004
  4. I just installed Opera 7.51 and it doesn't work neither.

    serge desmedt, Jun 3, 2004
  5. serge desmedt

    rf Guest

    [post reformatted to alt.html conventions]
    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "serge desmedt" <> wrote in message

    > > > When using the following HTML, i do not ghet repeatinh [table] headers

    in the
    > > print
    > > > preview of internet explorer 6.0
    > > > What am i doing wrong?

    > > Using IE, which does not support table headers correctly.

    > I just installed Opera 7.51 and it doesn't work neither.

    So, opera is broken as well. Does not surprise me :).

    Try Mozilla.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 3, 2004
  6. apparently TFOOT doesn't work in mozilla eather, but THEAD does.
    However i found a solution for IE.
    Thanks for your help.

    serge desmedt, Jun 3, 2004
  7. serge desmedt

    > apparently TFOOT doesn't work in mozilla eather, but THEAD does.
    > However i found a solution for IE.

    Well? What is it? I'm intrigued...

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 3, 2004
  8. <STYLE type="text/css">

    THEAD { display: table-header-group; }
    TFOOT { display: table-footer-group; }

    </STYLE>

    serge desmedt, Jun 3, 2004
  9. "serge desmedt" <> wrote:

    > THEAD { display: table-header-group; }
    > TFOOT { display: table-footer-group; }

    This is rather surprising. Where did you find this?

    It's surprising that IE sort-of supports thead and tbody if you use such
    CSS. Is it documented somewhere? Moreover, it seems that IE leaves some
    spurious empty row before the footer row - though this may depend.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 4, 2004
  10. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> writes:

    > "serge desmedt" <> wrote:
    >
    >> THEAD { display: table-header-group; }
    >> TFOOT { display: table-footer-group; }

    > It's surprising that IE sort-of supports thead and tbody if you use such
    > CSS. Is it documented somewhere?

    Surely you are joking?

    <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/tables.html#value-def-table-header-group>

    It's probably just part of the customer experience strategy if the
    proposed default rendering is not all of a sudden viciously available as
    a default.

    --
    | ) 111010111011 | http://bednarz.nl/
    -(

    Eric B. Bednarz, Jun 5, 2004
  11. On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 02:45:04 +0200, Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

    > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> writes:
    >
    >> "serge desmedt" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> THEAD { display: table-header-group; }
    >>> TFOOT { display: table-footer-group; }

    >> It's surprising that IE sort-of supports thead and tbody if you use such
    >> CSS. Is it documented somewhere?

    > Surely you are joking?
    >
    > <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/tables.html#value-def-table-header-group>

    I think he meant "Is it documented that IE behaves this way?".

    > It's probably just part of the customer experience strategy if the
    > proposed default rendering is not all of a sudden viciously available as
    > a default.

    That, I'd buy. It seems spectacularly stupid that this isn't part of IE's
    default rendering of the elements those CSS display values are essentially
    named after...

    --
    Some say the Wired doesn't have political borders like the real world,
    but there are far too many nonsense-spouting anarchists or idiots who

    Owen Jacobson, Jun 5, 2004
  12. Owen Jacobson <> wrote:

    > I think he meant "Is it documented that IE behaves this way?".

    Yes I did. And after some searching I actually found it. Microsoft has
    documented it in the description of the 'display' property! It defines
    the meaning of some values for the property as follows:

    table-header-group Table header is always displayed before all other
    rows and row groups, and after any top captions. The header is displayed
    on each page spanned by a table.

    table-footer-group Table footer is always displayed after all other
    rows and row groups, and before any bottom captions. The footer is
    displayed on each page spanned by a table.

    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/
    display.asp>

    The descriptions do not echo the definitions in CSS specifications, which
    are more abstract in this issue. So they are presumably meant to describe
    the specific IE behavior

    display: none, which of course isn't true. (By CSS rules, if you set
    display: none for an element, the element is not shown, not matter what
    you set for inner elements.) But this is probably meant to say that the
    behavior described above is not default behavior but can be invoked in
    CSS.

    The feature is _not_ mentioned in the description of the <thead> element
    at
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/
    thead.asp>

    >> It's probably just part of the customer experience strategy if the
    >> proposed default rendering is not all of a sudden viciously
    >> available as a default.

    > That, I'd buy. It seems spectacularly stupid that this isn't part of
    > IE's default rendering of the elements those CSS display values are
    > essentially named after...

    If a browser implemented thead and tfoot in an optimal way, the default
    rendering would probably consist of making the header and footer repeat
    on each printed page _and_ making the rest of the table, i.e. tbody
    element(s), appear in a scrollable area between the header and footer
    in screen rendering - naturally assuming that the size of the table
    exceeds some reasonable limit. This is more or less the general idea. And
    unfortunately there is no way to make IE do the latter using CSS - or is
    there?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 5, 2004
  13. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > <http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/
    > display.asp>

    I have now played a bit with the
    thead { display: table-header-group; }
    and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it's nice to be able to
    specify automatically repeating header row(s). On the other hand, IE
    still breaks a table row across pages when it likes. Moreover, if I have
    a <thead> with two rows (for example) I cannot make just one of them
    auto-repeating by setting display: table-header-group for it only.

    Actually on my page http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/iso8859/maps.htm8
    which I reorganized to use the styling approach, instead of explicitly
    repeating header-like rows, I get odd results in print preview: at the
    end of the second page, there are just three cells from a row, and the
    rest of the row is on the next page. Probably just casual, and surely
    depends on printer settings and other factors, but it means it's still
    risky. (Mozilla behaves much more predictably and does not require the
    style sheet rule. If I need a long table printed nicely, I primarily try
    using Mozilla.)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 7, 2004