Repetitive error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rasika WIJAYARATNE, Jun 3, 2007.

  1. Hi guys,

    We get the below error on our temple website every 2 hours or so; I
    think someone is trying to hijack the 'contact.aspx' page somehow to
    send spam emails, I am not sure though.

    The strange thing is the 'referer' is 'contact.aspx' and the 'path' is
    an article on the website ('blind_eye.aspx'). EVERY TIME this error
    happens these two pages are involved, so I am guessing it is an
    intentional act by someone that is causing this.

    Does anyone know what is actually happening below and how to put a
    stop to it, as it happens every two hours?

    System.Web.HttpException: The state information is invalid for this
    page and might be corrupted. ---> System.Web.UI.ViewStateException:
    Invalid viewstate.
    Client IP: 201.37.174.74
    Port: 2271
    System.FormatException: Invalid length for a Base-64 char array.
    at System.Convert.FromBase64String(String s)
    at System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.Deserialize(String
    inputString)
    at
    System.Web.UI.ObjectStateFormatter.System.Web.UI.IStateFormatter.Deserialize(String
    serializedState)
    at System.Web.UI.Util.DeserializeWithAssert(IStateFormatter
    formatter, String serializedState)
    at System.Web.UI.HiddenFieldPageStatePersister.Load()
    at System.Web.UI.ViewStateException.ThrowError(Exception inner,
    String persistedState, String errorPageMessage, Boolean
    macValidationError)
    at System.Web.UI.HiddenFieldPageStatePersister.Load()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.LoadPageStateFromPersistenceMedium()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.LoadAllState()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext
    context)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at
    ASP.youth_articles_authors_rasikaw_blind_eye_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext
    context)
    at
    System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step,
    Boolean& completedSynchronously)

    Rasika WIJAYARATNE, Jun 3, 2007

  2. If its repetitive, see if you can identify the IP of the request initiator
    and block it in IIS.

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    John Timney \(MVP\), Jun 3, 2007

  3. If you're using ASP.NET 1.1, reading this KB might help you :

    There's background info on this problem at :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q316920

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 3, 2007