    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Jul 3, 2008

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 07:00:21 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >c:\Users\?userid?\

    after playing around, for now I have settled on <- and ->. You can see
    what I mean at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/thunderbird.html

    Roedy Green, Jul 3, 2008

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 14:20:44 +0100, bugbear
    <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >That's close to BNF, which uses < and >
    >
    >e.g.

    > BugBear

    I used arrows because they suggest "something else goes in from here
    to here". The problem all the time with such notations is the naive
    user thinks the symbol is something to key literally. The problem for
    the experienced user is there are so many different notations, and you
    can presume conventions from another apply here. I wanted to find
    something the user could not key literally. I also used grey to
    indicate this part of the name is something different, not really
    there.

    Roedy Green, Jul 3, 2008