Replacement for target=" ... "

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Juerg Beck, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. Juerg Beck

    Juerg Beck Guest

    Hello all
    I'm using Google maps with overlays that require the page to be
    written in XHTML strict to work in IE. Overlays on Google map work
    well in FF with XHTML transitional.
    I have some more links on this page that I would like to be openend in
    another tab or window. But XHTML strict does not allow the use of the
    target attribute.
    Is there any replacement for this attribute that may be used with
    XHTML strict ? Or is it not possible to direct the link into another
    tab with HTML or XHTML strict ? I can't believe it !
    That's why I guess that any of you experts know a way of solving that
    problem.
    Thanks in advance for any hint
    BR
    Juerg

    Juerg Beck, Aug 7, 2007

  2. Juerg Beck

    G Guest

    Juerg Beck wrote:
    > Hello all
    > I'm using Google maps with overlays that require the page to be
    > written in XHTML strict to work in IE. Overlays on Google map work
    > well in FF with XHTML transitional.
    > I have some more links on this page that I would like to be openend in
    > another tab or window. But XHTML strict does not allow the use of the
    > target attribute.
    > Is there any replacement for this attribute that may be used with
    > XHTML strict ? Or is it not possible to direct the link into another
    > tab with HTML or XHTML strict ? I can't believe it !
    > That's why I guess that any of you experts know a way of solving that
    > problem.
    > Thanks in advance for any hint
    > BR
    > Juerg

    use XHTML 1.0 transitional
    no version of html strict has included it either

    G, Aug 7, 2007

  3. ..oO(Juerg Beck)

    >I have some more links on this page that I would like to be openend in
    >another tab or window.

    Why?

    >But XHTML strict does not allow the use of the
    >target attribute.

    Correct, it's a deprecated attribute.

    >Is there any replacement for this attribute that may be used with
    >XHTML strict ? Or is it not possible to direct the link into another
    >tab with HTML or XHTML strict ? I can't believe it !

    You don't have much control over how your site will be rendered on the
    client side. You don't even know if it will be displayed in something
    that could be called a window at all, HTML simply doesn't care about
    such things. So why bother? Let the user decide and that's it.

    Of course you could use Transitional or a JavaScript to open the window,
    but that would be a step back.

    Micha

    Michael Fesser, Aug 7, 2007
  4. Juerg Beck

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 07 Aug 2007 20:51:08 GMT
    Juerg Beck scribed:

    > Hello all
    > I'm using Google maps with overlays that require the page to be
    > written in XHTML strict to work in IE. Overlays on Google map work
    > well in FF with XHTML transitional.
    > I have some more links on this page that I would like to be openend in
    > another tab or window. But XHTML strict does not allow the use of the
    > target attribute.
    > Is there any replacement for this attribute that may be used with
    > XHTML strict ? Or is it not possible to direct the link into another
    > tab with HTML or XHTML strict ? I can't believe it !

    Well, believe it. It's a, uh, step forward. (-Really, a yuppie mentality
    thang.)

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 8, 2007
  5. Juerg Beck

    freemont Guest

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 22:51:08 +0200, Juerg Beck writ:

    > I have some more links on this page that I would like to be openend in
    > another tab or window. But XHTML strict does not allow the use of the
    > target attribute.
    > Is there any replacement for this attribute that may be used with
    > XHTML strict ?

    Javascript method:

    <a onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;"
    href="http://www.example.com">Link</a>

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"

    freemont, Aug 8, 2007
  6. Juerg Beck

    Emergence Guest

    <a onclick="target='_blank';" href="http://www.example.com/"
    title="example">example</a>
    is the code i use on my site and it validates fine for strict

    Emergence, Aug 9, 2007