Replacing client side javacript

Prashanth

Hi,

The application we are developing will be used worldwide by various
individuals and organizations . As part of the security restrictions ,
some of the organization will disable client side javscript in their
browsers. SO currently we are in the process of replacing client side
javascript with server side javascript. There are some pages we have
used eventtriggers like onchange,onclick, etc . When a user restricts
scripts as part of the security restrictions , these event triggers
are not working. So is there any way to handle these type of
situations. Also, please let me know if anyone has a alternative
solution to replace client side javascript.

thanks in advance,
Prashanth C N
(e-mail address removed)

Evertjan.

Prashanth wrote on 06 aug 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
The application we are developing will be used worldwide by various
individuals and organizations . As part of the security restrictions ,
some of the organization will disable client side javscript in their
browsers. SO currently we are in the process of replacing client side
javascript with server side javascript.

1
<script>location.href="js-index.html"</script>
<noscript>
You seem to have disabled your browser's javascript,<br>
so you cannot use this site.<br>
Bye.
</noscript>

or:

2
Use serverside scripting exclusively, without clientside event trapping
like onclick. All click-events must be <a href=""> and all
mousover/mousout replaced by css-styles a:hover

=============

I prefer solution 1, because you should expect some involvement from your
audience. Tell them that the only safe internet connection is no
connection at all, only leased line intranet.

That is not to say that I prefer to use serverside scripting as much as
possible, because you can depend more on your debugging than with all the
browsers and browserversions available.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

The application we are developing will be used worldwide by various
individuals and organizations . As part of the security restrictions ,
some of the organization will disable client side javscript in their
browsers.
Predictable.

SO currently we are in the process of replacing client side
javascript with server side javascript.

I assume you are using ASP w/ JScript on the server then. That
is the only kind of server-side Javascript I know of.
There are some pages we have used eventtriggers like
onchange,onclick, etc . When a user restricts scripts as part of the
security restrictions , these event triggers are not working. So is
there any way to handle these type of situations.

Nothing except the principles that you should always follow on
professional pages: If Javascript is not *essential* to your page
(i.e., it cannot ever work without it and the computation cannot be
performed server-side), then make sure it works without Javascript. If
Javascript is essential, say so to people without it.
Also, please let me know if anyone has a alternative solution to
replace client side javascript.

For simple things like mouseovers, you can use CSS. Sadly, IE's CSS
is not very advanced, so you probably cannot do your menues entirely
in CSS.

For things like form validation, it should be performed serverside
already (never trust the client!)

For actual computations (e.g., adding numbers), there is no
alternative to doing it on the server. There is only the client and
the server involved, and the client won't do it.

/L