Replacing spreadsheets by Python and the browser

Discussion in 'Python' started by markolopa, Oct 2, 2011.

  1. markolopa

    markolopa Guest

    Hello,

    Could you please recommend me a Python tool that could help me to get
    rid of the messy information and scripts I have in spreadsheets?

    Spreadsheets are great for having simple things done quickly. But as
    the needs grow their limitations can be quite frustrating. I would
    like to use the browser to edit information that for the moment I
    store in spreadsheets.

    I believe that the perfect tool for me would be that a combination a
    table editing tool and a tree navigation tool. I would like to
    navigate in a tree, expanding and collapsing nodes. The leaf nodes
    would then be tables with some editable columns.

    A good table editing tool (without the tree navigation) would already
    be very helpful.

    Examples of information I would store in such a tree/table system
    (which are now in spreasheets):
    - My dvd, avi collection: The tree would be the directory tree of the
    file system where I store my movies. For each directory containing the
    avis or the dvds there would be a table with one movie by row and
    several editable columns: the file name, the genre, the year, whether
    I have seen it or not, comments, etc.
    .. The same thing for mp3.
    - My family budget. The tree would be the account tree, the rows in
    the table would be the deposits and withdrwals. This is actually my
    most important need. I don't find gnucash flexible enough for my
    needs. Beancount (http://furius.ca/beancount/) has a great html
    output, but I would like to use the browser also for input.

    I am very comfortable with Python, but I don't know much about web
    framewords and javascript interfaces. I am ready to learn anything
    that could help me to do the desired tasks quickly, without having to
    code a web application from scratch. Is javascript the way to go? In
    this case is there a Python lib can I use on the server side? Could a
    tool like django be helpful? Pyjamas? Both a single machine or a
    client-server architecture are fine for me.

    Thanks a lot in advance for all suggestion,
    Marko

    markolopa, Oct 2, 2011

  2. markolopa

    rusi Guest

    On Oct 2, 10:36 pm, markolopa <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Could you please recommend me a Python tool that could help me to get
    > rid of the messy information and scripts I have in spreadsheets?
    >
    > Spreadsheets are great for having simple things done quickly. But as
    > the needs grow their limitations can be quite frustrating. I would
    > like to use the browser to edit information that for the moment I
    > store in spreadsheets.
    >
    > I believe that the perfect tool for me would be that a combination a
    > table editing tool and a tree navigation tool. I would like to
    > navigate in a tree, expanding and collapsing nodes. The leaf nodes
    > would then be tables with some editable columns.
    >
    > A good table editing tool (without the tree navigation) would already
    > be very helpful.
    >
    > Examples of information I would store in such a tree/table system
    > (which are now in spreasheets):
    > - My dvd, avi collection: The tree would be the directory tree of the
    > file system where I store my movies. For each directory containing the
    > avis or the dvds there would be a table with one movie by row and
    > several editable columns: the file name, the genre, the year, whether
    > I have seen it or not, comments, etc.
    > . The same thing for mp3.
    > - My family budget. The tree would be the account tree, the rows in
    > the table would be the deposits and withdrwals. This is actually my
    > most important need. I don't find gnucash flexible enough for my
    > needs.  Beancount (http://furius.ca/beancount/) has a great html
    > output, but I would like to use the browser also for input.
    >
    > I am very comfortable with Python, but I don't know much about web
    > framewords and javascript interfaces. I am ready to learn anything
    > that could help me to do the desired tasks quickly, without having to
    > code a web application from scratch. Is javascript the way to go? In
    > this case is there a Python lib can I use on the server side? Could a
    > tool like django be helpful? Pyjamas? Both a single machine or a
    > client-server architecture are fine for me.
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance for all suggestion,
    > Marko

    May not be what you are asking for but you may want to look at
    orgmode:

    http://orgmode.org/

    rusi, Oct 2, 2011

  3. On 10/02/2011 06:36 PM, markolopa wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Could you please recommend me a Python tool that could help me to get
    > rid of the messy information and scripts I have in spreadsheets?
    >
    > Spreadsheets are great for having simple things done quickly. But as
    > the needs grow their limitations can be quite frustrating. I would
    > like to use the browser to edit information that for the moment I
    > store in spreadsheets.
    >
    > I believe that the perfect tool for me would be that a combination a
    > table editing tool and a tree navigation tool. I would like to
    > navigate in a tree, expanding and collapsing nodes. The leaf nodes
    > would then be tables with some editable columns.
    >
    > A good table editing tool (without the tree navigation) would already
    > be very helpful.
    >
    > Examples of information I would store in such a tree/table system
    > (which are now in spreasheets):
    > - My dvd, avi collection: The tree would be the directory tree of the
    > file system where I store my movies. For each directory containing the
    > avis or the dvds there would be a table with one movie by row and
    > several editable columns: the file name, the genre, the year, whether
    > I have seen it or not, comments, etc.
    > . The same thing for mp3.
    > - My family budget. The tree would be the account tree, the rows in
    > the table would be the deposits and withdrwals. This is actually my
    > most important need. I don't find gnucash flexible enough for my
    > needs. Beancount (http://furius.ca/beancount/) has a great html
    > output, but I would like to use the browser also for input.
    >
    > I am very comfortable with Python, but I don't know much about web
    > framewords and javascript interfaces. I am ready to learn anything
    > that could help me to do the desired tasks quickly, without having to
    > code a web application from scratch. Is javascript the way to go? In
    > this case is there a Python lib can I use on the server side? Could a
    > tool like django be helpful? Pyjamas? Both a single machine or a
    > client-server architecture are fine for me.
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance for all suggestion,
    > Marko

    Well my answer is not really python-related, but one tool that really
    changed my life is orgmode
    http://orgmode.org/

    It does almost everything you ask and a 1000 other things.
    If you want to go with a python project, in general you should probably
    need a lot of javascript
    to have something which is nice and easy to use, and yes something like
    django would work.

    Andrea Crotti, Oct 2, 2011
  4. markolopa

    rantingrick Guest

    On Oct 2, 12:36 pm, markolopa <> wrote:

    > Examples of information I would store in such a tree/table system
    > (which are now in spreasheets):
    > - My dvd, avi collection: The tree would be the directory tree of the
    > file system where I store my movies. For each directory containing the
    > avis or the dvds there would be a table with one movie by row and
    > several editable columns: the file name, the genre, the year, whether
    > I have seen it or not, comments, etc.
    > . The same thing for mp3.
    > - My family budget. The tree would be the account tree, the rows in
    > the table would be the deposits and withdrwals. This is actually my
    > most important need. I don't find gnucash flexible enough for my
    > needs.  Beancount (http://furius.ca/beancount/) has a great html
    > output, but I would like to use the browser also for input.

    Is there any reason why you could not use the advanced widgets in
    WxPython? You never said whether this MUST BE a web application. If
    GUI is okay then check out wxListCtrl and wxTreeCtrl. All you need to
    do is write a little control code and voila.

    http://www.wxpython.org/onlinedocs.php

    rantingrick, Oct 2, 2011
  5. On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 10:36:30 -0700 (PDT), markolopa
    <> declaimed the following in
    gmane.comp.python.general:

    > Spreadsheets are great for having simple things done quickly. But as
    > the needs grow their limitations can be quite frustrating. I would

    My first step would be to convert the messy spreadsheets into a
    normalized relational database. Since you're asking for a Python
    solution, SQLite3 might be recommended.

    Granted, I'll grab a spreadsheet for short lists (basically --
    single table information), but ever since the days of Multiplan on a
    TRS-80 Model III/4 my thoughts have been that spreadsheets were
    optimized for complex chained calculations deriving from a small subset
    of user input items (I used to have the entire first edition Traveller
    RPG starship design rules encoded into Multiplan wherein the user
    selected the main options [shape, displacement, desired drives, weapons,
    etc.] and the spreadsheet validated that the options are viable [a
    Jump-6 drive won't fit on a typical scout], and determine crew and cost)

    > like to use the browser to edit information that for the moment I
    > store in spreadsheets.

    Python-based web-framework... Maybe Django

    > I believe that the perfect tool for me would be that a combination a
    > table editing tool and a tree navigation tool. I would like to
    > navigate in a tree, expanding and collapsing nodes. The leaf nodes
    > would then be tables with some editable columns.

    The base Django "admin" pages grant basic low-level access to
    tables; structuring the data if tables are linked may require coding
    Django application modules.

    > - My dvd, avi collection: The tree would be the directory tree of the
    > file system where I store my movies. For each directory containing the
    > avis or the dvds there would be a table with one movie by row and
    > several editable columns: the file name, the genre, the year, whether
    > I have seen it or not, comments, etc.
    > . The same thing for mp3.

    Relational database...

    > - My family budget. The tree would be the account tree, the rows in
    > the table would be the deposits and withdrwals. This is actually my

    If for more than one account, another relational database (I suspect
    you're maintaining a separate table for each account; the relational
    approach would have one table for the account specifics (bank name,
    address, account number, type of account, with a simple integer primary
    key); transaction table with internal integer key, foreign key
    identifying which account, transaction ID (check #), type of transaction
    (deposit, withdrawal), name of other party, amount, memo... Possibly a
    code for "split" (I'm basing this on Quicken) in which you itemize the
    subparts of a transaction...

    > this case is there a Python lib can I use on the server side? Could a
    > tool like django be helpful? Pyjamas? Both a single machine or a
    > client-server architecture are fine for me.

    Django's "development server" might be sufficient for a single
    machine single-user mode.
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/