Replacing text with mouseover?

Toby Inkster

rf said:
IIRC that was the same trip where some murrican asked me repeatedly
which [US] state Sydney, Australia is in.

Just insist it's in NSW. If they've not heard of that state, then that's
their own fault.

Ed Jay

Mark Parnell and others wrote a bunch of stuff that I'll address in this
post:
In your case, the use of flags is probably OK, since the site is aimed
at people in a particular country - the language is simply a by-product
of that.

That's my rationalization. :)
Though what happens if you have an American in Japan, or vice versa? ;-)
:)

I think Beauregard's suggestion of country silhouettes is a good idea.

I hadn't thought of that, and it may be a good enough idea that I'll use
it. The two flags have different aspects, which has been problematic in
achieving a graphically balanced page. I had to trim the Japanese flag to
achieve a modicum of symmetry. OTOH, the two countries are very different
in shape and size, so it may be difficult to achieve graphical balance on
the page. (Hey, I'm a Virgo and symmetry is important to me.) :)

As far as the intellect of my clientele...well, that's why the
instruction, "Click on the flag of your choice.." is written in the text
on the page that explains the site is divided into the two areas. ;-)

Of course, one has to presume that when the American guy clicks the
Japanese flag and up comes a page written entirely in Japanese, he might
get a clue that he's in the wrong area of the site.

As to the Japanese, the text beneath the Japanese flag essentially says,
in Japanese, "To the Japanese area of the site."

But, y'know, it's said you can make something fool proof, but you can't
make it damned-fool proof. And it's a true cliché. I once referred an
American to the site only to have him complain that he couldn't read it
because it was in "some foreign language." :)
Absolutely. But Jukka's point is that flags are inappropriate symbols to
denote different languages, not that sites should only be in one
language (actually, he has some good info on using different
languages/character sets too IIRC).

I've been reading Jukka's posts and work for a few years and I have the
greatest respect for him. That said, is it only Jukka's opinion that flags
are inappropriate symbols to denote language, or is it a joint opinion
shared by many that it's a matter of wide-spread etiquette?

Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

rf

Toby said:
rf said:
IIRC that was the same trip where some murrican asked me repeatedly
which [US] state Sydney, Australia is in.

Just insist it's in NSW. If they've not heard of that state, then that's
their own fault.

Wouldn't work. Their states only have two letters in them. I know. I once
had to fill in some stupid bloody demographic form as a pre-requsite to
getting a lift pass. It insisted my state only had two letters and that my
postcode had to have 5 digits. No concept of "country" at all.

Needless to say we all lied. So much for their demographics.

Cheers
Richard.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Ed Jay quothed:
Thank you very much.

Who told you that's not what AES stands for? :)

Back when I was a wee tyke, people said I had ants in my pants.
Nevertheless, I still went potty regularly so deductive reasoning tells
me that ants don't have a palate for poo.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias wrote:
1. ID the remote block of text.

2. Create a function/2 functions called by your mouseover events (-
instead of putting the js right in the "onmouseover" link if that's what
you do now.)

3. In the function(s), do the innerHTML thing to change the text in the
ided larger block of text as well as whatever it is you do with the
mouseovers now.

Example:

In the function(s) include:

document.getElementById('lgtxtblock').innerHTML="AES does *not* stand
for 'Ants Eat Shit.'"'

Small point, *innerHTML* is a MSIE property. Many browsers now include
it by demand. The W3C compatible way would be with *nodeValue*:

var el=document.getElementById('lgtxtblock');
el.firstChild.nodeValue="AES does *not* stand for 'Ants Eat Shit.'";

Added benifit, your script may be markedly faster!
http://www.gtalbot.org/DHTMLSection/innerHTMLvsNodeValue.html

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ed said:
I've been reading Jukka's posts and work for a few years and I have
the greatest respect for him. That said, is it only Jukka's opinion
that flags are inappropriate symbols to denote language, or is it a
joint opinion shared by many that it's a matter of wide-spread
etiquette?

I agree with Jukka. Why should I (a Murrican) have to click on a Union
Jack instead of the Stars and Bars? I'm not a Brit. <g>

I prefer seeing a prominent, tastefully styled list of the *names* of
the languages, in their proper font, with necessary umlauts or whatever.

English | Deutch | Francaise | Svenska | Roosky ...

[ no special fonts in this post :) ]

Ed Jay

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
I agree with Jukka. Why should I (a Murrican) have to click on a Union
Jack instead of the Stars and Bars? I'm not a Brit. <g>

I also agree with Jukka. I was only asking the question re netiquette.
I prefer seeing a prominent, tastefully styled list of the *names* of
the languages, in their proper font, with necessary umlauts or whatever.

English | Deutch | Francaise | Svenska | Roosky ...
Agree.

Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Jonathan N. Little quothed:
Neredbojias wrote:

Small point, *innerHTML* is a MSIE property. Many browsers now include
it by demand. The W3C compatible way would be with *nodeValue*:

var el=document.getElementById('lgtxtblock');
el.firstChild.nodeValue="AES does *not* stand for 'Ants Eat Shit.'";

Added benifit, your script may be markedly faster!
http://www.gtalbot.org/DHTMLSection/innerHTMLvsNodeValue.html

Hmm, I will have to check this out. Never even heard of nodeValue
before.

Thanks for the information and advice.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html, rf <@invalid.com> said:

[NSW]
Wouldn't work. Their states only have two letters in them. I know. I once
had to fill in some stupid bloody demographic form as a pre-requsite to
getting a lift pass. It insisted my state only had two letters and that my
postcode had to have 5 digits. No concept of "country" at all.

So stick the W in as the first digit of the postcode? :)

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias wrote:
Hmm, I will have to check this out. Never even heard of nodeValue
before.

Thanks for the information and advice.
If you grab yer'self a copy of Mozilla they have a nifty little
development utility built in 'Tools|Web Development|DOM Inspector'

You can open up a document and view the complete DOM structure,
JavaScript Objects and CSS both spec'd and computed.