Replacing the POD "User Contributed Perl Documentation" page title

Dave Hammond

Hi All,

I'd like to replace the standard "User Contributed Perl Documentation"
page title with something which more accurately describes the
documentation. In this case, the code being documented is not user
contributed, it is internal to our organization. Something like "XYZ
Internal Documentation" would be more appropriate.

I've read the perldpodspec and perldoc man pages, and scanned through
the perldoc script, but I see nothing which indicates where the page
title comes from or how to override it.

Any pointers to how the default page title can be overridden would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave Hammond

Ok, I've dug a bit deeper and found that the page title string is
generated by the Pod::Man module which is called when perldoc invokes
pod2man. Pod2man takes a -c option to change the "center" object,
which specifies the center page title. Unfortunately, perldoc doesn't
provide a method of passing "-c" to pod2man.

It seems to me that my options are to call pod2man directly (which will
be a chore, since our documentation is embedded within the actual perl
scripts), or to make a local copy of perldoc and insert a "-c" in the
pod2man command line.

Dave Hammond

That's a cool resolution, thanks. Of course, I didn't find it myself
because the version of perldoc I was looking at was ancient (as
distributed with perl 5.8.0). In the interrum, I hacked my own "-c"
(center) option into the version of perldoc that we run. I'll probably
run with that for now, although in the long run the right course is to
upgrade Perl. But in our shop that's a task, as it will force an
upgrade to all production servers, which means validating our entire
code suite on the new version (probably a man-week of time better spend
elsewhere).

-Dave H.

Dr.Ruud

Dave Hammond:
That's a cool resolution

For Dave Hammond and everybody else with "User-Agent: G2/#.#":

"How can I automatically quote the previous message
when I post a reply?"
http://groups.google.co.uk/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14213

See also:

What's good 'netiquette' when posting to Usenet?
http://groups.google.co.uk/support/bin/answer.py?answer=12348
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Usenet/Etiquette/

But Google needs you to vote for 'Default quoting of
http://groups-beta.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=features